[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2-3 Teams not Active Moral Help?

ffplayer_unknown

Hey guys, need your input.

I started a league this yr with some of my friends, and everyone asked if there would be a last-place punishment. I said no, and everybody is okay with it, but 2-3 of the teams have not touched their lineups yet. E.g starting 2 injured and "out" players and forgetting to choose a defense to start after dropping his. It's annoying bc those teams get so few points, and the person playing them gets a free win (basically), so the actual "good vs bad" teams aren't accurately represented in the standings. What should I do?

Ouch. If they're friends, perhaps an impassioned plea to participate, citing how not doing so really takes the fun out of it for everyone else.

If they come back and say "sorry, no time", I'd then look to automate those non-participant teams to "averages", meaning whatever "live" team plays the "dead team that week has to beat the average points generated by all "live" participating owners that week.

Sucks, but what ya gonna do?

• Like 1

Free league? Any decent payout?

I've never understood people having a team and then ignoring it, but I suspect it happens when there is little to no money on the line.

As for what you do going forward, hard to say. You've already had 1-2 weeks where there teams sucked, scored few points and gave up an easy win. Is it fair now to say "going forward in order to beat them you need to outscore their average or best line-up".

Might be better to find somebody else to manage those teams, but that can be hard as well. And still has some teams who had easy matchups against these teams while others will not. I doubt you are going back to earlier weeks and changing the W/L status based on some new rules for what you need to beat those teams.

At a minimum those owners should be publicly ostracized and not allowed back in the league next year. Also may be worth adding some incentive to not suck each week. We added a weekly high score contest years ago, each owner throws in another $26 ($2 x 13 week regular season) and the winner each week gets the pot ($24). Win once and you break even. Occasionally an owner will opt out of this extra pot (need to declare that before the draft when paying your fee) figuring their team is not good enough to get a weekly high score.

If it's a no money league I think you only have the option of talking to them as friends...I would think all knew that no money means it isn't going to get full attention; after all, it is just for fun, right?

The big decision will be whether you keep league going next season

I'm sure it's hit or miss with those kinds of setups...but with no true incentive, such lack of attention has to be expected; not necessarily condoning their actions, just can't really justify punishment for it

Its a tough situation. I had to leave a league that I was in for many years because the commissioner refused to boot a guy that never touches his lineup. It just makes things sloppy and unfair for the rest of the league. Since this is a free league we are talking about though, its a little harder to come down with the hammer. If it were me, I would talk to the guys that are slacking off and explain to them how they are effecting everyone else's fun. Explain to them that if they won't participate than you will have to find a replacement. Then if they continue to neglect their lineup, you can start looking around or asking other friends if they would be willing to take over the team.

Like should I kick them out or not? Right now I'm considering it. It's a no money, no punishment thing, and they have other teams to manage, etc.

Yes, the process should start in that direction. Give a clear warning, if it continues kick them out and play the top players according to ESPN or whatever you use. The fact that they "have other teams to manage" indicates they don't care. There is a serious league integrity issue when you have apathetic owners.

I would disagree that free leagues all suck. The league I run is free and we always have full participation, you just need to have a good group of guys involved with lots of banter on the side.

I think the issue people have is that people really want to run a league when realistically they don't have enough people to actually do it properly unless you want a 6 teamer.

• Like 1