[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I love it when that happens ...

Grits and Shins

I have been playing in my local league since 1992. I have been commissioner probably that last 15 years or so. One of the things we implemented many years ago to try and keep everybody interested in managing their rosters and lineups all year was weekly prizes. Each week the team that has the highest score gets $5, the team that STARTS the player that scores the highest points gets $5 (players are only eligible to win one week) and the team that wins by the biggest victory margin gets $5. Then at the end of the year the highest one in each category gets an additional $15.

On another note - for whatever reason I have some owners that drag their feet paying their league entry fee and transaction fees. The make good ... eventually, but I hate having to hound them for fees. So a couple of years ago I implemented these rule changes:

If at anytime an owner accumulates more than $30 in unpaid fees (this includes league entry fee and/or unpaid transaction fees)

1) Until fees have been paid teams are not eligible for week prizes

2) Until fess have been paid teams are not allowed to make any roster moves, include IR moves

I would have thought that the inability to make roster moves would be reason enough to get league fees paid but not for one particular owner. This particular owner always loses weekly prizes before he decides to pay his fees. This week he would have swept all three weekly prizes for $15 ... which would have been a significant portion of his $65 entry fee.

I notified the league that he was not eligible for the weekly prizes and the guy that finished 2nd in each category will win this week. He responded almost immediately that he will get money to another owner who can then PayPal it to me.

That's so funny. What a dumb ass owner.

For a few years we used to have our league in the basement of one of the owners. The basement was huge and had tons of room for everyone. We wouldn't even let owners downstairs on draft night unless they brought their money with them. Plenty of communication and we never had an issue. Hate to play the "can't trust other owners" card, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I have been playing in my local league since 1992. I have been commissioner probably that last 15 years or so. One of the things we implemented many years ago to try and keep everybody interested in managing their rosters and lineups all year was weekly prizes. Each week the team that has the highest score gets $5, the team that STARTS the player that scores the highest points gets $5 (players are only eligible to win one week) and the team that wins by the biggest victory margin gets $5. Then at the end of the year the highest one in each category gets an additional $15.

On another note - for whatever reason I have some owners that drag their feet paying their league entry fee and transaction fees. The make good ... eventually, but I hate having to hound them for fees. So a couple of years ago I implemented these rule changes:

If at anytime an owner accumulates more than $30 in unpaid fees (this includes league entry fee and/or unpaid transaction fees)

1) Until fees have been paid teams are not eligible for week prizes

2) Until fess have been paid teams are not allowed to make any roster moves, include IR moves

I would have thought that the inability to make roster moves would be reason enough to get league fees paid but not for one particular owner. This particular owner always loses weekly prizes before he decides to pay his fees. This week he would have swept all three weekly prizes for $15 ... which would have been a significant portion of his $65 entry fee.

I notified the league that he was not eligible for the weekly prizes and the guy that finished 2nd in each category will win this week. He responded almost immediately that he will get money to another owner who can then PayPal it to me.

Bolded is probably my least favorite part of being a commish. Ugh.

Bolded is probably my least favorite part of being a commish. Ugh.

Yup. I ended up having to change the fee structure for one of my leagues because of this.

It started out at $100 fee, with real cash paid on bidding for free agents, IIRC, $2 per player involved in a trade, and losses cost you $2 plus 10 cents per point of the loss. The initial $100 was not always a problem, it was the additional fees.

Eventually, it go changes to a $50 fee plus a $50 advance on the transaction/loss fees. If you ran out of money, you had to pony up before you could make any moves.

Still a pain tracking all those balances, collecting for those that went over and doing refunds for those that stayed under.

Finally went to a flat fee.

Edited by Big Country

Timely thread as my co-commish and I were just discussing some changes we'll add next year for the owners that are not paying on time. Agree it is the biggest PITA of being commish. . Probably 90% pay at the draft, a few who don't bring the check to work the next day (about half work in our office) or send the payment to the commish. Our fee is about $100, some owners have partners, one guy brought his half and the owner still hasn't paid. Blah-blah-blah financial hardships, was laid off for a while. Whatever, if you cannot afford it quit, or get your partner (who already offered in this case) to pay it all and then reimburse him. We also had an owner who owed like $20 in roster fees and was several weeks late paying. Had the nerve to say "what's the big deal, its only a few dollars?" Well the big deal is the winner already got his winnings, out of the commish's pocket, and if its only a few bucks, trucking pay up.

I've heard the horror stories if leagues that didn't collect all the money and commish tells the winner "these guys owe you money, get it from them."

We will probably include stuff about not being eligible for the weekly high score ($25) as well as locking them out of managing their team (maybe add/drop/trade to start, then their line-up too).

Timely thread as my co-commish and I were just discussing some changes we'll add next year for the owners that are not paying on time. Agree it is the biggest PITA of being commish. . Probably 90% pay at the draft, a few who don't bring the check to work the next day (about half work in our office) or send the payment to the commish. Our fee is about $100, some owners have partners, one guy brought his half and the owner still hasn't paid. Blah-blah-blah financial hardships, was laid off for a while. Whatever, if you cannot afford it quit, or get your partner (who already offered in this case) to pay it all and then reimburse him. We also had an owner who owed like $20 in roster fees and was several weeks late paying. Had the nerve to say "what's the big deal, its only a few dollars?" Well the big deal is the winner already got his winnings, out of the commish's pocket, and if its only a few bucks, trucking pay up.

I've heard the horror stories if leagues that didn't collect all the money and commish tells the winner "these guys owe you money, get it from them."

We will probably include stuff about not being eligible for the weekly high score ($25) as well as locking them out of managing their team (maybe add/drop/trade to start, then their line-up too).

I considered locking the ability to set their lineup but in the end decided I really want them still trying to set a lineup and win every week. Once you lock their ability to set a lineup you have essentially booted them from the league ... and worse you have a team nobody is managing.

• Like 1

I wish more leagues did this. Better yet you don't draft until paid. The commish has enough to do, collecting money should never be one of them. Have one of their friends cover them and let them duke it out IMO.

I wish more leagues did this. Better yet you don't draft until paid. The commish has enough to do, collecting money should never be one of them. Have one of their friends cover them and let them duke it out IMO.

I'd like to take that hard line (no draft if you don't pay) but what do you do with those team(s) if their owners don't have the money at the draft? Kind of late to find another owner, shrink the league, have somebody else draft and give them crappy players? None of those seem like good solutions.

I'd like to take that hard line (no draft if you don't pay) but what do you do with those team(s) if their owners don't have the money at the draft? Kind of late to find another owner, shrink the league, have somebody else draft and give them crappy players? None of those seem like good solutions.

Post on the Huddle 24 hours in advance indicating a possible opening. There are dozens of stand up members here I'd take in a second and trust they would run the team to the best of their ability. Heck my big concern would be we get a shark that wins the damn thing.

Require payment in full at least a day or two ahead of the draft. If it's an online league, easy enough to usually find a replacement owner.

For a local, you may want to give yourself a little more time, so maybe pay a week in advance or be subject to being replaced.

So much of this depends on who you are playing with (internet "friends" or a locals friends/family league)

Our league is local, one owner took over for his brother (they kind of share the team) and lives far away. We generally don't have a problem, requiring payment in advance of the draft would probably be more difficult. And we draft live in person (distant owner on the phone). Findind a replacement even with a weeks notice would be hard.

I appreciate the advice, not sure we'll ever go to the "no money no draftee" rule.

Our league is local, one owner took over for his brother (they kind of share the team) and lives far away. We generally don't have a problem, requiring payment in advance of the draft would probably be more difficult. And we draft live in person (distant owner on the phone). Findind a replacement even with a weeks notice would be hard.

I appreciate the advice, not sure we'll ever go to the "no money no draftee" rule.

It doesn't have to be a permanent replacement. Just get a trustworthy Huddler to draft and let them have their team back. Make sure it's someone like Taz though, so they really learn their lesson.

In one of my locals that I have been in since 94 we have a strict rule that if you don't have entry fee on draft night that you don't draft. We have always had great communication of this and everyone hears us say every year that we don't mind "trimming the fat" in our league and dropping a owner on draft night.....luckily it has never come to draft night, but we have also had a good core of about 10 guys over the last 15 years in a 12 team league....doesn't hurt to have a rook every couple of years to donate $$$ to the vets! Communication is KEY!