[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you stand on intentionally starting a Def/ST on a bye?

Boy Named Suh

Valid strategy to avoid dropping someone, or should you have to have a full lineup every week?

Personally, I think that if you are willing to take the 0 points, then why should anyone else care, but the guy with #1 waiver priority thinks I should have to drop someone, and I'm playing against him in week 10.

I'm not going to do it, as nothing in our rules says that you have to field a valid lineup every week (we have one guy that started 0-4 and hasn't subbed out a bye week player yet. He won't be back next year.). I'm just curious what you think.

If it matters, I'm projected to win this week by over forty points after a nice head start from Dalton and Eifert, which made the decision not to worry about my Def/ST pretty easy.

ehh, if you don't have to have a line-up with no bye weeks its OK, I guess. It does "feel" shady though

I considered going with no TE this week in my local because there was crap available and due to injuries and byes I had no one to drop, plus I'm playing a 1 win team. Lucky for me Kennan Allen got hurt so I had some one to drop for Jared Cook. whew!

I prefer owners that put a full lineup out there every week, but doesn't sound like that's a big deal in your league. Byes are part of life, most owners plan for it.

It's not that it isn't a big deal. The guy that gave up isn't being invited back, obviously. That's partly why I'm asking. We're talking about a rule change for next year.

Valid, yes. Strategic, no.

Really? I got to 6-2 by playing the wire well, and there isn't anyone on my bench (Sanders, Hilton, James Jones, Decker, Ryan Matthews, Karlos Williams, Barnidge) that I would drop to get a second defense, and Seattle's defense has one tough match up next week, and then it's pretty gravy. Right now I'm up by 49 points with 2RBs, 2 WRs, and a kicker still to play, and my opponet is starting Michael Floyd and Zach Ertz. Seems pretty strategic to me. Edited by Boy Named Suh

I'd drop Karlos Williams. LeSean McCoy isn't going to get outright benched. If your bench is that good, I'm sure you'll be able to replace Karlos with a waiver wire find within the next few weeks. Also, join a real league.

So I just proved you have no idea what you're talking about, but for some reason you think I'll take your junk advice? Thanks for stopping by.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

You're welcome

Narcissistic much? You should head on over to the kiddie section. I'm sure they'll think you're real smart over there. Maybe you can talk one of them into dropping a guy who has 50+ points in 4 games for a one week rental defense just when he's about to get back in the game.

If you have one of those ridiculously stacked teams that I keep seeing in the advice forum, then do it...or if you're 8-0, go for it.

Halp I'm 2-4 I need 1 QB 2 RBs 3 WRs 1 TE and 1 Flex who should I start? Here's my lineup:

QB: Luck, Dalton

RB: Peterson, Gurley, Ingram, Ivory, Chark, DeAngelo

WR: Julio, A. Brown, Hopkins, Fitz, Diggs

TE: Barnige, Olsen

Under our league by-laws, D/ST is the ONLY position you're excused from not filling when on bye, any other lineup voids incur a $5 fine per offense...however, under our scoring system, D/ST only gets points for TDs, safeties, and shutouts, so no points sacks, forced fumbles/recoveries, interceptions, etc. therefore, our D/ST scoring is rather inconsistent anyway...

• Like 1

Taking a zero for a bye one week is bush league IMO. But if the league rules allow it then go for it.

In leagues I am in owners must post a full lineup or a full lineup will be submitted for them by the commish. This rule basically keeps owners from "hoarding" players and allows what little value is out there on the WW to be maintained. Either plan ahead for bye weeks or be forced to drop someone later.

Taking a zero for a bye one week is bush league IMO. But if the league rules allow it then go for it.

In leagues I am in owners must post a full lineup or a full lineup will be submitted for them by the commish. This rule basically keeps owners from "hoarding" players and allows what little value is out there on the WW to be maintained. Either plan ahead for bye weeks or be forced to drop someone later.

Curious how that works, if kicker has a bye and there is no replacement the commish decides who to add and drop too?

I've been in the same league over 20 years, we've rarely had an owner with an empty slot, player on bye in lineup or willingly taking a zero. We charge for roster moves and even teams out of the hunt will add a D or K to cover a bye or injury. Yes it is each owner's choice, but what they do also impacts others.

Halp I'm 2-4 I need 1 QB 2 RBs 3 WRs 1 TE and 1 Flex who should I start? Here's my lineup:

QB: Luck, Dalton

RB: Peterson, Gurley, Ingram, Ivory, Chark, DeAngelo

WR: Julio, A. Brown, Hopkins, Fitz, Diggs

TE: Barnige, Olsen

I see what you did there. I think it might've gone over Big John's head though.

Under our league by-laws, D/ST is the ONLY position you're excused from not filling when on bye, any other lineup voids incur a $5 fine per offense...however, under our scoring system, D/ST only gets points for TDs, safeties, and shutouts, so no points sacks, forced fumbles/recoveries, interceptions, etc. therefore, our D/ST scoring is rather inconsistent anyway...

This seems really strange to me. It seems like sacks, and especially turnovers is partly how you define a defense. To not get points from them would drive me crazy.

I see what you did there. I think it might've gone over Big John's head though.

If it was meant to be humor it wasn't funny, all the nonsense advice questions posted in this forum will usually be treated the same, by BJ and others with a 'wrong forum' type reply.

How is it Bush league? The guy is taking a calculated risk. Bush league is whining about a guy not dropping a player so you can get him on waivers. If you want one of his players, man up and make a trade.

• Like 2

If it was meant to be humor it wasn't funny, all the nonsense advice questions posted in this forum will usually be treated the same, by BJ and others with a 'wrong forum' type reply.

Yes it was a joke about stacked teams

That's not my actual team :)

If you're someone who doesn't check your linuep and you're playing injured guys and guys on byes you're a dick. But if you're just accepting a goose egg I don't see a problem. There have been times where I went into the Sunday or Monday night game with a huge league and my defense about to play and I just benched them. I don't care if it isn't a full lineup I'm making sure I don't lose points.

This seems really strange to me. It seems like sacks, and especially turnovers is partly how you define a defense. To not get points from them would drive me crazy.

Basically the defensive equivalent of having a "touchdown heavy" scoring format for offense...

Karlos Williams is merely a handcuff. McCoy started the year gimping, but he is now healthy. McCoy needs to get hurt for Karlos to have any real value. If McCoy were to get hurt, then Karlos would have real value. The Huddle has Karlos ranked the #58 running back in Rest Of Season Rankings. I think he is better than that. I put Karlos #37.

Since you have players like TY Hilton, Eric Decker, and Emmanuelle Sanders on your bench, I'm sure you have other players of equal value to Karlos Williams on your waiver wire. Or you could trade your 8 year old nephew a couple of your studly bench players for a running back superior to a handcuff. Join a real league.

Are you still here? I am not looking for lineup advice. I have a pretty good handle on my team. I don't care what you think about Karlos Williams. Go over to advice if you need to prove how brilliant you are.