[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you stand on intentionally starting a Def/ST on a bye?

Boy Named Suh

Not allowed in my main league . Guaranteeing no negative points is like cheating . Any player other than kicker can actually end up with negative points in a game ( provided you have minus points for fumbles ) so by starting a defense on bye you are protecting yourself from possible negative points on purpose . Not to mention in my main league each owner must put in a starting line up. Which is how it's should be imho

• Like 1

All the leagues I play in require a valid lineup each week. I'm cool with whatever your league allows but I think it is better to have to submit a valid roster each week. It forces you to make some tough decisions and eliminates hoarding. I also like leagues with smaller benches.

• Like 1

I still think if there is no penalty in the NFL for fielding less than 11 men there's not much reason to do the same in fantasy football, whatever the reason. I considered doing it at one point on one of my teams (didn't, but should have in hindsight) because it was a shallow bench league.

NFL coaches take calculated risks all the time. I don't see how purposely scrapping the points of a position differs much from an NFL coach going into the prevent defense inside the 2-minute warning. Or how it differs from a coach benching the starting QB in game 15 & 16 after clinching the #1 seed in the conference.

Strategy is strategy, whether the other teams like it or not. You play to win championships.

Edited by timeconsumer

Taking a zero for a bye one week is bush league IMO. But if the league rules allow it then go for it.

In leagues I am in owners must post a full lineup or a full lineup will be submitted for them by the commish. This rule basically keeps owners from "hoarding" players and allows what little value is out there on the WW to be maintained. Either plan ahead for bye weeks or be forced to drop someone later.

So if I am in your league and choose to take a zero for my defense because I don't have another defense and don't want to drop a player on my roster ... your commissioner is going to choose a player to drop from my roster, then choose a defense to pick up, then insert the new defense into my starting lineup? And I suppose if he wants the player he just cut from my squad ... well then by all means he can go acquire him?

• Like 1

So if I am in your league and choose to take a zero for my defense because I don't have another defense and don't want to drop a player on my roster ... your commissioner is going to choose a player to drop from my roster, then choose a defense to pick up, then insert the new defense into my starting lineup? And I suppose if he wants the player he just cut from my squad ... well then by all means he can go acquire him?

If you only have one D and it is on a bye, your D will get dropped for the best projected points D based on the website the league uses. Same rule if you only have one TE or K. If you have multiple players at one spot on a bye (2 TE with same bye week), the player with the lowest YTD points is dropped.

This rule came into existence due to some inactive owners. Their playing partial lineups changed the playoff teams that year, the league voted to enact the rule to keep the league competitive.

If you only have one D and it is on a bye, your D will get dropped for the best projected points D based on the website the league uses. Same rule if you only have one TE or K. If you have multiple players at one spot on a bye (2 TE with same bye week), the player with the lowest YTD points is dropped.

This rule came into existence due to some inactive owners. Their playing partial lineups changed the playoff teams that year, the league voted to enact the rule to keep the league competitive.

If a commissioner dropped my Travis Kelce this week and replaced him with waiver fodder, I'd be driving over to his house to have a 'talk'. Edited by BA Baracus

If a commissioner dropped my Travis Kelce this week and replaced him with waiver fodder, I'd be driving over to his house to have a 'talk'.

Well if you were playing in that league you would have already agreed to those rules so acting like a tough guy because the rules were followed would not sit well with the real BA. You simply wouldn't play in that league or you'd follow the rules.

I prefer owners that put a full lineup out there every week, but doesn't sound like that's a big deal in your league. Byes are part of life, most owners plan for it.

Your statement implies that if you don't own a second defense, you didn't plan for the bye week which is simply not true. Injuries could be a reason you don't have a second defense. Before you counter with most owners plan for injuries, there are way too many scenarios that occur to plan for every one. I regretted picking up a second defense in week 7 because I still lost the game and ended up dropping a player that I shouldn't have just to field a full lineup. There was no lack of planning. There was a lack of bench space.

Your statement implies that if you don't own a second defense, you didn't plan for the bye week which is simply not true. Injuries could be a reason you don't have a second defense. Before you counter with most owners plan for injuries, there are way too many scenarios that occur to plan for every one. I regretted picking up a second defense in week 7 because I still lost the game and ended up dropping a player that I shouldn't have just to field a full lineup. There was no lack of planning. There was a lack of bench space.

That is true, except a whole defense is not out with an injury, a key player or two might be hurt and make them less valuable.

Would be against the rules in my league. We have a three strikes and you're out rule with regards to starting inactive players so technically you could do it twice without real penalty (one strike has to buy food for next draft, two strikes and you're buying beer) but Ive only seen it happen once (somebody leading by 2pts with just a DEF to go so benched them).

Would be against the rules in my league. We have a three strikes and you're out rule with regards to starting inactive players so technically you could do it twice without real penalty (one strike has to buy food for next draft, two strikes and you're buying beer) but Ive only seen it happen once (somebody leading by 2pts with just a DEF to go so benched them).

I like it. I think that gives you a chance to decide how important it would be to keep your defense. I would probably make it a monetary penalty, but that's just because I like money more than food and beer. The scenarios are a little different in that I'm not trying the bench anyone to avoid negative points, but the results are the same, and it could be a good solution to the valid lineup issue in general.

If you are too thin-skinned to take criticism, then don't post. I don't think taking a zero in order to keep Karlos Williams is strategic. Deal with it.

Keeping Karlos Williams proved to be worthwhile. He's only scored a TD in every single NFL game he's ever played. He has more value to the Bills than just a handcuff.

Edited by electricrelish

That is true, except a whole defense is not out with an injury, a key player or two might be hurt and make them less valuable.

Defenses don't always score a lot. I'd rather not have a defense on a my own defense's bye week in order to keep key players on a short roster. I made a mistake a dropped a player that I shouldn't have for the Vikings last week that didn't make an impact.

take em for a grain of salt. It's nice to have something to reference, but it's one person's opinion. Pretty good opinion, but they come out before Monday nights game, so they're only good for a few hours