[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you stand on intentionally starting a Def/ST on a bye?

Boy Named Suh

Keeping Karlos Williams proved to be worthwhile. He's only scored a TD in every single NFL game he's ever played. He has more value to the Bills than just a handcuff.

To me it was never really about who is on the bench as much as does an owner have the right to make the decision to take the zero rather than drop someone. I shouldn't have posted who was on my bench. I just wanted to show that I wasn't holding on to bad players rather than dropping someone for a second defense, but really, that shouldn't matter. Everyone values players differently.

For the record, I did not start Karlos, but am glad he's on my bench.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

Taking a zero for a bye one week is bush league IMO. But if the league rules allow it then go for it.

In leagues I am in owners must post a full lineup or a full lineup will be submitted for them by the commish. This rule basically keeps owners from "hoarding" players and allows what little value is out there on the WW to be maintained. Either plan ahead for bye weeks or be forced to drop someone later.

So if I am in your league and choose to take a zero for my defense because I don't have another defense and don't want to drop a player on my roster ... your commissioner is going to choose a player to drop from my roster, then choose a defense to pick up, then insert the new defense into my starting lineup? And I suppose if he wants the player he just cut from my squad ... well then by all means he can go acquire him?

Where is the Judge?

Another question ... in my league transactions are not free; i.e. there is a financial fee associated with each transaction. When the commissioner chooses who to drop of my team ... is he also paying my transaction fee?

If my chances of making the playoffs have diminished to almost nothing why should I be required to spend real money making transactions just to satisfy a stupid rule that says I have to start a full line up? Answer, I am not going to. In this situation if the league requires me to make a transaction to field a full roster then they can waive the associated transaction fee. And if they make my move for me they can pay my entry fee the next year too ...

Where is the Judge?

Another question ... in my league transactions are not free; i.e. there is a financial fee associated with each transaction. When the commissioner chooses who to drop of my team ... is he also paying my transaction fee?

If my chances of making the playoffs have diminished to almost nothing why should I be required to spend real money making transactions just to satisfy a stupid rule that says I have to start a full line up? Answer, I am not going to. In this situation if the league requires me to make a transaction to field a full roster then they can waive the associated transaction fee. And if they make my move for me they can pay my entry fee the next year too ...

You wouldn't play in a league that had such a rule, so WTF does it really matter to you. And if you did play in that league this applies to you as well

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/452664-where-do-you-stand-on-intentionally-starting-a-defst-on-a-bye/?p=4148449

Your usual tough guy attitude get's dumber every time I read it.

Is somebody here trying to convince you that your league should have this rule. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't play in a league that had such a rule, so WTF does it really matter to you. And if you did play in that league this applies to you as well

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/452664-where-do-you-stand-on-intentionally-starting-a-defst-on-a-bye/?p=4148449

Is somebody here trying to convince you that your league should have this rule. :rolleyes:

You are right about one thing ... I won't play in a league where the commissioner and/or owners get to manage my team.

Where is the Judge?

I'm here ... Not advocating this rule should be in every league, it is in my league and I was just explaining it. Not to hijack the thread but not sure how other leagues deal with inactive owners. This rule was an attempt to deal with them and take out the "luck of getting to play the inactive owner the week he didn't show up" to get an easy win for some teams, but not others.

The inactive owners don't ever get invited back but if you have turnover in a league you don't know how good a new owner will be until you play a season with them. Inactive owners suck and when they give away wins to several teams in a season, deserving playoff teams can unfortunately get screwed out of playoff spot due this.

To answer your question, this league uses Blind Bidding Waivers, no extra transaction costs for these waiver moves.

The rule we have isn't ideal but it seems to keep people from posting non-full lineups so it stuck. I have a hard enough managing my own team most seasons, I don't want to have to manage other owner's teams as well as the commish.

A discussion of whether or not it is a stupid rule is relevant here, not sure why you insist on suppressing it. The rule doesn't explicitly exist in the OP's league, so it isn't just a black and white, follow the rules or die debate.

I'm here ... Not advocating this rule should be in every league, it is in my league and I was just explaining it. Not to hijack the thread but not sure how other leagues deal with inactive owners. This rule was an attempt to deal with them and take out the "luck of getting to play the inactive owner the week he didn't show up" to get an easy win for some teams, but not others.

The inactive owners don't ever get invited back but if you have turnover in a league you don't know how good a new owner will be until you play a season with them. Inactive owners suck and when they give away wins to several teams in a season, deserving playoff teams can unfortunately get screwed out of playoff spot due this.

To answer your question, this league uses Blind Bidding Waivers, no extra transaction costs for these waiver moves.

The rule we have isn't ideal but it seems to keep people from posting non-full lineups so it stuck. I have a hard enough managing my own team most seasons, I don't want to have to manage other owner's teams as well as the commish.

Why use an indirect rule to manage a specific problem? The rule should just be that orphaned teams get managed by host site weekly projections. You know who is active and who isn't. If an active owner has a D on bye, ask him if he's using stategery or just slacking.

That would be awesome, we could tip back a few cold ones and I could explain the rules to you :brow:

If it were in the rules, I'd know, and I wouldn't play in that league. If it weren't in the rules and someone made unauthorized changes to my roster, I'd politely ask for my league fees back before becoming extremely unpleasant.

If it were in the rules, I'd know, and I wouldn't play in that league. If it weren't in the rules and someone made unauthorized changes to my roster, I'd politely ask for my league fees back before becoming extremely unpleasant.

What makes you think it would not be in the rules and somebody would just make changes to your roster.

The first statement is what I was referring to before, neither you, nor Grits nor others who would hate this rule would play in a league with that rule. So other than you assuming this rule is not known and the commish is just making it up as he goes, what's the basis for the tough guy act, other than your BA persona?

This middle school trash talking tough guy act gets old, that was my point before. http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/452664-where-do-you-stand-on-intentionally-starting-a-defst-on-a-bye/?p=4148449

i think it depends on what kind of league...i play in two leagues...one with friends for a small amount of money...then i play in a high stakes ppr league where its 20 bucks a drop/add...and 20 bucks per loss(double win/loss league each week...head/head and top half/bottom half league in points) in addition to a buy in......

in this ppr league i havent seen a team leave a player on bye week in a lineup...if it did happen i probably missed it but i usually check everyones lineups on sunday every week.......i for one always spend a good amount of time always looking ahead and making sure i set my team up well with drop/adds to avoid having bye problems....amazingly some teams arent that good at it...here it is week 10 and one team in this league has to replace a qb, wr, te and a def.....amazingly his bench cant even cover one of those....and hes still in the running to finish in the money(we pay out top 4)....and before last week was in even better shape.....

we roster 17....i think youd be hard pressed to find many teams that have 16 others players on their roster who are so valuable and undroppable that they cant move one for a defense and keep the integrity of the league up

What makes you think it would not be in the rules and somebody would just make changes to your roster.

The first statement is what I was referring to before, neither you, nor Grits nor others who would hate this rule would play in a league with that rule. So other than you assuming this rule is not known and the commish is just making it up as he goes, what's the basis for the tough guy act, other than your BA persona?

This middle school trash talking tough guy act gets old, that was my point before. http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/452664-where-do-you-stand-on-intentionally-starting-a-defst-on-a-bye/?p=4148449

The OP said it wasn't a rule in his league

The OP said it wasn't a rule in his league

So what if the OP doesn't have that rule, somebody else said they did, you went Mr. T on them and said you'd go "have a talk with them" if they did it. Its in the post linked below

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/452664-where-do-you-stand-on-intentionally-starting-a-defst-on-a-bye/?p=4148432

I'm not making this up, you either don't want to accept you said this, have forgotten or are just being argumentative. Either way I'm done with it.

Bottom line, IMO, is that it's a case-by-case situation depending upon the league's rules and scoring format...I, personally, do not find it "bush league" to enter a weekly lineup without a D/ST IF the rules allow it, especially if there is a transactional cost involved...as stated earlier in this thread, my league specifically has a rule which allows teams to "not" field a D/ST during its bye week (you are required to have a D/ST on your roster, though)...at $5/transaction some owners do pick-up a replacement D/ST and others do not...our scoring for the position is such, that it is really TD-dependent, so D/ST is really inconsistent, anyway...

For example, I have what is considered one of the "better" D/ST, Arizona...however, they have only scored as follows, weekly, under our format:

0, 16, 21, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, bye

Other team's D/ST is equally inconsistent, so to me it was not worth spending an extra $5 to pick-up another team who, likely, would post another "0" anyway...my opponent's D/ST (SEA) was actually also on bye last week, too, and he opted to "not" pick-up another, either, so it ended up being completely even as far as starting lineup size goes...anyway, some will say having D/ST that is so TD-dependent is stupid to begin with, but that's not the purpose of this thread, so I won't address that aspect...

• Like 1

So what if the OP doesn't have that rule, somebody else said they did, you went Mr. T on them and said you'd go "have a talk with them" if they did it. Its in the post linked below

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/452664-where-do-you-stand-on-intentionally-starting-a-defst-on-a-bye/?p=4148432

I'm not making this up, you either don't want to accept you said this, have forgotten or are just being argumentative. Either way I'm done with it.

I am not denying what I said.

Of course the original post isn't relevant to the discussion in the thread. :rolleyes:

Rather than start a new thread, what are peoples views on the below (hypothetical situation as someone in the league I commish asked about it randomly)?

Team A has no DST and is waiting till Sunday to make his choice of who to pick up for whatever reason. Would it be unethical for Team B to pick up every available DST and instantly drop them so that they have to go through waivers which would be the Tuesday after the game? Leaving Team A with no viable DST to start.