[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you stand on intentionally starting a Def/ST on a bye?

Boy Named Suh

Rather than start a new thread, what are peoples views on the below (hypothetical situation as someone in the league I commish asked about it randomly)?

Team A has no DST and is waiting till Sunday to make his choice of who to pick up for whatever reason. Would it be unethical for Team B to pick up every available DST and instantly drop them so that they have to go through waivers which would be the Tuesday after the game? Leaving Team A with no viable DST to start.

Unethical, maybe. You might piss off your friend / seem like a prick. But it shouldn't be against the rules. It's strategic.

These types of things are why some leagues make you pay per transaction or limit the number of transactions you can make in various ways.

Edited by pun

Unethical, maybe. You might piss off your friend / seem like a prick. But it shouldn't be against the rules. It's strategic.

These types of things are why some leagues make you pay per transaction or limit the number of transactions you can make in various ways.

Once or twice in our league there is the opportunity as we have a couple of players who tend to leave things to the last minute and check their teams late. So if they have a DST on bye there is the chance for someone to do it but no-one has.

I wouldn't do it personally.

Rather than start a new thread, what are peoples views on the below (hypothetical situation as someone in the league I commish asked about it randomly)?

Team A has no DST and is waiting till Sunday to make his choice of who to pick up for whatever reason. Would it be unethical for Team B to pick up every available DST and instantly drop them so that they have to go through waivers which would be the Tuesday after the game? Leaving Team A with no viable DST to start.

That is called waiver wire churning and is very unethical.

Transaction fees tend to put a stop to this nonsense

• Like 1

waiver churning..not good imo

never mind, didn't read it fully, adding then dropping to make players unavailable is wrong. Edited by stevegrab

I do play in money leagues but the pride amongst friends who know each other in this free league means its still the most enjoyable for me.

Then you could require that free agent acquisitions must remain on their new roster for some period of time before they can be cut, say 2 days. You might put some exceptions in that allow for players that are hurt after acquisition (wouldn't apply to defense) or cut from their NFL teams, suspended or traded.

• Like 1

I may be going against the norm, but I honestly wouldn't really care too much if this happened in my league. Granted it CAN'T happen in my league as it's set up that a player must be on your roster 24 hours before he falls to waivers if dropped, preventing this very scenario. (I suppose you can do this with a few defenses to eliminate the choices if the other team decided to wait til last minute) But that's still the other owner's fault to waiting til last minute.

Cheers for the responses. Transaction fees would obviously help but it isn't a money league to begin, it hasn't happened anyways but probably craft some sort of rule against it and vote on it in the off-season.

The rules I have seen to address it are one of these two:

1. Players dropped via free agency add are not locked and are immediately available for pickup by any team.

2. If you want to keep it so that dropped players locked, you can make it such that any player added must remain on the adding team's roster for 48 hours before they can be released.