[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams now hold NO.1 draft pick.

AX2RUN

In my opinion, Goff is going to be a decent pro QB. He's not as sturdy as I'd like, and I would question his ability to stay durable in the NFL. I can't see such a big gamble in order to move up and get him. Doesn't make sense. Was he any better than Matt Leinert was at USC back in the day? I'm not comparing them body wise, but we've seen Goff types come and just be OK in the NFL.

Wentz has some of the physical intangibles that Goff will never have, so if I'm going for broke, it's Wentz. It's more risk, but if he ends up QB'ing in LA for the next 10 years, it's a trade worth making. Big guy, smart kid, a franchise builder - with Gurley next to him. It's the choice.

In my opinion, Goff is going to be a decent pro QB. He's not as sturdy as I'd like, and I would question his ability to stay durable in the NFL. I can't see such a big gamble in order to move up and get him. Doesn't make sense. Was he any better than Matt Leinert was at USC back in the day? I'm not comparing them body wise, but we've seen Goff types come and just be OK in the NFL.

Wentz has some of the physical intangibles that Goff will never have, so if I'm going for broke, it's Wentz. It's more risk, but if he ends up QB'ing in LA for the next 10 years, it's a trade worth making. Big guy, smart kid, a franchise builder - with Gurley next to him. It's the choice.

Gotta agree, and they've been expounding on this for days on local radio. Why trade all of that just to get whose upside is Matt Ryan? No knock on Ryan; he's a solid NFL QB, but would it make sense to trade all of those picks for a guy who is just a good QB?

Local honks say he's like Ryan.... or Matthew Stafford.... or Alex Smith....

If they wanted a QB like that, they could have waited until #15 and taken Paxton Lynch.

It just makes no sense to me. For a second I thought maybe they are doing something wild like taking Ramsey - who many feel is just (by far) the best player in the draft - but both Jeff Fisher and their GM have said they are drafting a "leader in the locker room" type..... all signs point to QB, just not which QB.

Wentz has supposedly killed it in interviews, while Goff has only been average. To me, that points to Wentz.

Edit: Anyone else have formatting issues here? Anytime I type more than one paragraph it ends up not putting a space inbetween the second-to-last and last paragraphs. Ugh

Edited by darin3

Oh no! I missed a classic Darin "people in the know" reference! That's what I get for going on vacation.

You take the left tackle 10 out of 10 times, if he is rated that highly. You likely never get a chance again to make that kind of pick, those guys typically go to the playoffs a lot during their careers (Jones, Munoz, Ogden, Pace, etc.) you have plenty of other ways/opportunities to get good corners, and King Dunlap isn't good.

I love Jalen Ramsey but Tunsil is the pick that should happen. Not saying it will, but should.

• Like 2

Oh no! I missed a classic Darin "people in the know" reference! That's what I get for going on vacation.

You take the left tackle 10 out of 10 times, if he is rated that highly. You likely never get a chance again to make that kind of pick, those guys typically go to the playoffs a lot during their careers (Jones, Munoz, Ogden, Pace, etc.) you have plenty of other ways/opportunities to get good corners, and King Dunlap isn't good.

I love Jalen Ramsey but Tunsil is the pick that should happen. Not saying it will, but should.

Oh no! A smug S21 post! That's what I get for going to lunch.

As always, S21 knows more than me.... or the beat writers.... or anyone else for that matter

You're a clown.

Bit of a hostile environment up in here haha :unsure:

What beatwriters have said Wentz?

Heard that one from Jordan Ranaan. Granted, he doesn't write for the Rams, but still.

I had a hard time making it past Tampa Bay. I would look hard at Darron Lee there, and the Giants would be a great fit for Elliott.

When I think about this more, I'm simply putting the pieces in place to allow the Bears to take either Rankins or Lawson. They can't go wrong with either one of those guys to add to their DL rotations.

Yeah idk about Tampa Bay either. On defense they could use upgrades at all 3 levels, but moreso LB & DB than DL imo, and they have some needs at WR and OL but probably not at #9. Going off your first 8 picks, I'd guess it's between Hargreaves and Floyd (maybe Buckner or Jack if they were to fall).

I think the Bears will for sure be in a position to grab one of those DTs.

I really hope the Giants pick Elliot. He's the best offensive position player in the draft imo, and it doesn't matter if it's RB, WR, TE - Eli needs a second playmaker. They'd be a trainwreck if Eli or Beckham got injured (see week 16 vs MIN).

However I don't think Reese's drafting philosophy will lead him to take EE and the organization is terribly afraid of taking an RB high with memories of David Wilson, T-Rich, and Ron Dayne still lingering, so my hope is that the draft unfolds in a way where the have to choose between Elliot, Treadwell, Conklin, and Floyd, and pray they take Elliot over Floyd (people seem very high on Floyd, I'm not feeling it tbh). I'd be happy to see them take Hargreaves, Jack, or Stanley if they fall though, but still... hope they pick Elliot.

I'm not buying what Hargreaves is selling - not sold on his ability on the next stage, plus they just spent on that spot in free agency. Gmen probably go safe with Conklin, but Floyd would make sense...not sure how he falls into their scheme though.

Bit of a hostile environment up in here haha :unsure:

Heard that one from Jordan Ranaan. Granted, he doesn't write for the Rams, but still.

Wouldn't ya know it, but in today's paper the four draft "experts" in my local fishwarp were split 2/2 on Goff vs. Wentz (LA area paper). :lol:

They were making a lot of the same arguments heard here:

Goff - NFL-ready, accurate, pro-style offense, California swagger, etc.

Wentz - sick measurables, super high upside, great in locker room / film room / interview

Oh no! A smug S21 post! That's what I get for going to lunch.

As always, S21 knows more than me.... or the beat writers.... or anyone else for that matter

You're a clown.

Remember when I told you Gerhart was a waste of a roster spot? You tried to belittle me by telling me you and the "the people in the know" disagreed with me.

Remember when I told you Bishop Sankey wasn't a NFL caliber RB? That couldn't possibly be true because that isn't what you and "the people in the know" thought.

Who did we get into it about last year?? I, of course, was wrong because you and the "people in the know" knew he was just such a stud. Remember that?

Beat writers? hahahahhahahaha. When I think of our local beatwriters over the years and how little about football they actually knew without somebody telling them what to think, it is all starting to come together for me.

People who aren't capable of judging talent for themselves depend on beatwriters and "people in the know" to form their opinions for them.

• Like 1

I'm not buying what Hargreaves is selling - not sold on his ability on the next stage, plus they just spent on that spot in free agency. Gmen probably go safe with Conklin, but Floyd would make sense...not sure how he falls into their scheme though.

Who do you see as the top DB then after Ramsey?

They did pick up Jenkins, but it was basically just a replacement/upgrade for Prince. They have no (good/proven) FS or 3rd CB though. I think Hargreaves would be the best defensive pick for them (aside from Jack falling or something like that) because he could probably play FS and slot corner when needed, killing two birds with one stone. Or he'd simply be a starting CB and push Jenkins or DRC a FS/slot role.

Floyd isn't really seen as an edge rusher from what i've read, more of a typical OLB, which fits the Giants' 4-3, I just think FS and 3rd corner is a more pressing need than OLB.

Edited by pun

Up until today, I thought Wentz was the Rams' choice - but now that Philly has moved up, I think Goff is the pick. Just makes more sense in terms of what each team needs. LA needs a guy who can step in and make an impact before more of their young talent leaves. Eagles have a couple stopgap QBs, so they can actually let Wentz sit for 2 years before taking the reins.

Don't really love this situation for the Rams, they sure gave up a lot to get a guy with so-so upside, but Wentz would be pressured to start immediately and I really don't think he should.

By the way - is anyone else a bit concerned about all these Ohio State players being projected so high in the draft? DE Bosa, LB Lee, & CB Apple likely to go in rd 1, S Bell, DT Washington in rd 2, and LB Perry in 3? Plus Noah Spence was on the team until the beginning of 2015. Like, having good players at all positions - more than half the defense going in the first few rounds - is going to elevate everyone to play above their talent level, right? If you have a good pass rush, your DBs will have an easier time making plays; if you have good coverage, your line has an easier time reaching the QB....

Not saying the players are bad but maybe slightly overvalued?

Edited by pun

Up until today, I thought Wentz was the Rams' choice - but now that Philly has moved up, I think Goff is the pick. Just makes more sense in terms of what each team needs. LA needs a guy who can step in and make an impact before more of their young talent leaves. Eagles have a couple stopgap QBs, so they can actually let Wentz sit for 2 years before taking the reins.

Don't really love this situation for the Rams, they sure gave up a lot to get a guy with so-so upside, but Wentz would be pressured to start immediately and I really don't think he should.

You're probably right. Goff has the "California swagger" and is definitely more pro-ready. Rams just re-signed Case Keenum to a one-year deal as a stopgap.

All I know is I can't wait for next Thursday. Going to be finally off this ridiculous diet with a giant beer in front of me and about 8,000 wings at Buffalo Wild Wings :lol:

• Like 1

Just curious? How does Philly moving up change what you thought about what the Rams were doing? I struggle to believe the Rams have disclosed to anyone in a Philly camp who they are selecting.

• Like 1

If you simply suck at reading comprehension and blabber on and on, yeah you can expect me - or a handful of others that have seen clowns like you come and go - to call you out.

Feel free to have an opinion, but be prepared to back it up. And if you can't, have a thick enough skin to withstand the barrage of facts that are thrown at you in relation to what you've slung against the wall.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I had an opinion, and backed it up. Granted, no one probably has thicker skin than your crusty old ass though. Your opinion amounted to - "I heard it on the radio." Niiiice. Or was I missing some facts you threw out? You linking a Bolts From the Blue Article also made me laugh pretty hard too.

You're probably right. Goff has the "California swagger" and is definitely more pro-ready. Rams just re-signed Case Keenum to a one-year deal as a stopgap.

All I know is I can't wait for next Thursday. Going to be finally off this ridiculous diet with a giant beer in front of me and about 8,000 wings at Buffalo Wild Wings :lol:

Which one? Pm me if you like.

Edited by boltnlava

Which one? Pm me if you like.

Probably a bit of a haul for you if you're in SD proper but me and a few buddies (possibly a Huddler or two?) are going to the one near South Coast Plaza in Santa Ana.

Easy access off 405 if you're down to come up! :tup:

• Like 1

Just curious? How does Philly moving up change what you thought about what the Rams were doing? I struggle to believe the Rams have disclosed to anyone in a Philly camp who they are selecting.

I believe Wentz and Goff have the same agent. I doubt Philly gave up that haul without having a good idea of who they're getting, and I think they really favor Wentz.

I believe Wentz and Goff have the same agent. I doubt Philly gave up that haul without having a good idea of who they're getting, and I think they really favor Wentz.

That's correct. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/goff-wentz-have-same-agents/

Philly wants Wentz (but claims they are "fine with either" -- yeah right) so that's why they make this latest move, after the Rams move up (and also say that they are "still evaluating" -- yeah right, that is for the "drama" of the draft).

You're naive to believe that imo

The agent i'm sure told the eagles that Rams are taking Goff and why wouldn't he. He gets his 2 QB's to be the first 2 picks in the draft. I would think they would have to know who is going number 1, if not they could have wait unitl the draft to do the trade. I don't know of too many teams that would have been as desprate as the eagles to move up, except maybe the 49ers, but they were in a good position at 7. I can really see the agent "leaking" that information to them.

• Like 1

The agent i'm sure told the eagles that Rams are taking Goff and why wouldn't he. He gets his 2 QB's to be the first 2 picks in the draft. I would think they would have to know who is going number 1, if not they could have wait unitl the draft to do the trade. I don't know of too many teams that would have been as desprate as the eagles to move up, except maybe the 49ers, but they were in a good position at 7. I can really see the agent "leaking" that information to them.

me too, that's why I said he was being naive :shrug: