[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taysom Hill, Saints agree on a four-year, $140 million extension, freeing up $7.5M in cap space

League_Champion

These contract extensions with voidable years all to restructure things and spread the cap hit are getting pretty popular. Or maybe they were and I just don't remember them. 

As far as "why pay him this much" well that was already a value assigned to him for 2021 from a prior contract, and they were not going to ask him to make concessions for the cap and pay him less. Last April he signed a 1 year $16.3M extension for the 2021 season, and it appears that was fully guaranteed. (Info from Spotrac.com including the transactions tab on the right). Basically the large 2021 salary was restructured into a signing bonus and spread out for over the years of the contract. 

They liked Winston so much that when Brees was out with injury they played Hill who went 3-1. The prior year they had a similar option, but went with Bridgewater instead of Hill. 

Doesn't sound like they have a lot of faith in Winston. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

They liked Winston so much that when Brees was out with injury they played Hill who went 3-1. The prior year they had a similar option, but went with Bridgewater instead of Hill. 

Doesn't sound like they have a lot of faith in Winston. 

Or they thought with Hill having more time and experience in the offense that he gave them a better chance. They weren't wrong in either case. That doesn't mean they don't think Winston can be a starter next year. Just that they thought Hill was more ready last year,  just like they thought Bridegwater was more ready the year before. 

Edited by rajncajn

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Eagles have none, Saints have two. I'll take option B.

I wasn't talking about the Eagles. That's an entirely different mess. I'm talking about the Saints. They believe in Jameis so much that they had a Tight End behind center pretending to be a QB. Personally, I'd much rather have Jameis as my QB. 

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I wasn't talking about the Eagles. That's an entirely different mess. I'm talking about the Saints. They believe in Jameis so much that they had a Tight End behind center pretending to be a QB. Personally, I'd much rather have Jameis as my QB. 

Holy manure! You and Steve actually agree on something?

The deal with Winston gives them a lot of options. Winston could easily be traded in a deal for another QB or the Saints could still draft one. They've got an extra third this year and will likely get another compensatory pick next year for losing Hendrickson to the Bengals,  so that gives them a lot of flexibility to move around in the draft.

Personally I'm not a fan of either as a long term QB, but I do think Winston can have better success with the Saints than he did with Tampa. 

Edited by rajncajn

15 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Or they thought with Hill having more time and experience in the offense that he gave them a better chance. They weren't wrong in either case. That doesn't mean they don't think Winston can be a starter next year. Just that they thought Hill was more ready last year,  just like they thought Bridegwater was more ready the year before. 

I keep forgetting about the lack of a full and normal off season last year, which I'm sure contributed to the Saints not being really comfortable with Winston as the starter. Maybe a full off season and the prospect of not having Hill to fill that gadget role all season if he is starting will make Winston a better possibility this year. 

10 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Holy manure! You and Steve actually agree on something?

No not really, I was simply stating (earlier) that it appeared they felt Hill gave them a better chance to win last year then Winston did when Brees got hurt. Not labeling Hill a TE or saying I'd rather have Winston as my starter (which I would not).