[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kareem Hunt wants a new contract

Shaft

According to report today - Cleveland will not trade Hunt:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/kareem-hunt-asks-browns-to-trade-and-they-say-no-his-best-play-is-to-kill-it-for-them-this-season-mary-kay-cabot.html

Headline:  Kareem Hunt asks Browns to trade him and they say no; his best play is to kill it for them this season: Mary Kay Cabot

I don't like this at all, and I don't see the Browns caving with either a new big deal or trading him. Maybe as the season goes on, depending on how they are doing and how well the rookie Ford does. So far I've heard that he's looked very good in camp, running well catching balls and running pass patterns lined up outside. All Kareem is doing is giving Ford and D'Ernest Johnson more reps in team drills where they can adapt to changes in the offense and the new QBs.

Just a reminder with regard to the Browns offense, with Brissett as QB it will be quite a bit different than Watson, more short and medium passes and more running. While he has a similar style (more so than the prior backup or Rosen) to Watson he doesn't have the arm or accuracy. 

I think by the time they hit the 2nd preseason game his attitude will change, or he could find himself as the #3 RB. 

I don't get this one, he is about to be a free agent (end of season) was having his average stats for half a season last year.   But he knew he was 2nd fiddle when he signed his extension 2 years ago.  He is the 15th highest paid rb, does he expect to get more money or additional years?

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

I don't get this one, he is about to be a free agent (end of season) was having his average stats for half a season last year.   But he knew he was 2nd fiddle when he signed his extension 2 years ago.  He is the 15th highest paid rb, does he expect to get more money or additional years?

If you consider when he signed that contract, he got paid pretty well. 

17 hours ago, Shaft said:

Shocking...I guess he realized it wasn't going to be a good move long term. Coach Stefanski said something like "if you're healthy and able to be here and participate then you fully participate." 

Was reading a story today, over half of Hunt's $6.25M contract for this season comes in the form of a $200,000 bonus for each game he is active, for a total of $3.4M. I wonder if that is part of his desire to do a new deal, and get that money guaranteed. I think the story is spot on, he isn't getting traded and there is no new contract coming now. So he just needs to show up, play well and see what comes later. If he really wants to be a feature back he'll be a free agent, and go see what he gets on the market. But at 27 and not having carried the load since 2017/18 in KC I doubt it will be a huge deal. Like him but don't think he is something they'll overpay to keep. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/kareem-hunt-not-helping-himself-by-sitting-out-drills-during-browns-training-camp-terry-pluto.html

1 minute ago, darin3 said:

Man I hope this all gets sorted out.  I drafted him in numerous best balls over the past month or so.  

I don't think there is anything to sort out for this year, he is back to practicing and I think he understands that trying to demand things isn't going to help him. 

He's on my team and and will get some consideration as a RB keeper depending on how things go thru preseason. 

12 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I don't think there is anything to sort out for this year, he is back to practicing and I think he understands that trying to demand things isn't going to help him. 

He's on my team and and will get some consideration as a RB keeper depending on how things go thru preseason. 

Agree, This may be a good thing for Hunt owners. Hopefully he's playing with a chip on his shoulder and for a new contract elsewhere. I'm in hold mode on Kareem as well.