[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Divisional Round

whomper

I have resigned myself to the fact that we will never ever ever win a SB with Dak at the helm. Good character guy but not an upper tier qb no matter how much we are paying him. The two picks were brutal , especially when you have to play catch up against a D like the niners . My issue is more than that though. Its frigging 30 yard line drive ground balls on 3rd and 5 . Its having wrs open for bomb touchdowns and never hitting them in stride . Its never going through his reads. I watched Purdy on 3rd down and he kept calm , went through a few progressions and then calmly threw a perfectly catchable ball in the middle of the field. I watch Dak on 3rd down take two steps and whip fastballs into the ground 

Diggs was another problem . Made a complete enchilada business decision on that critical Kittle play . Then drops a can of corn PICK . D line was great. Nice pressure and very good against the run until late in the game but still did their jobs . Maher hit two fgs . His shakiness changes the dynamic of the game. That was the issue with him yesterday more than misses aside from that one PAT .

Its business as usual for a Cowboys fan . The Niners were beatable yesterday soley because of how the Cowboys defense played. We left it in the hands of our average at best QB 

1 hour ago, irish said:

Prior to Dak throwing his 2nd pick (2nd Q 2:00), when it was 4th and 4 from the SF 35, if they had faith in Maher, he attempts a 53 yarder there. That's a possible loss of 3 points there and then ends in the obvious int. 

3rd Q (6:05 left) Dallas is 4th and 5 from the SF 40 and could've attempted a 58-yarder there as well. A team with a guy like Justin Tucker, in a game as close as this one was, tries that FG. 

There are your possible 6 points, even if the 2nd one is far-fetched. 

After the 1st FG opportunity that was passed up, and subsequent 49ers' int, the 49ers drive and kicked a 50-yard FG. 6 point swing. 

After the 2nd FG opportunity that was passed up, Dallas took a 5-yard penalty, punted and the 49ers drove the length of the field for the game-winning and their only TD.  10 point swing. 

Thanks for filling in the details. Cannot say I agree with that reasoning, once they pass on the FG and convert the 4th down they're on the move, doesn't make Dak's pick the kicker's fault. Does he get credit for helping them score a TD if they do that there? 

As for Maher not being Tucker, few kickers are and he is consistently good from long range, but not much better over his career than Maher (both in the low 70% on FGs of 50+). Maher has kicked a lot of long FGs this year, 11 of his 27 attempts over 50 in his 4 year career, and he has at least 3 of 60 or longer in his career. His recent struggles impacted the coaches decision. He's not bad, but maybe they can find somebody better.

Sorry maybe I'm missing the point, but it sounds like you're blaming Maher (who missed a single XP) more than Dak who threw 2 costly picks. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Thanks for filling in the details. Cannot say I agree with that reasoning, once they pass on the FG and convert the 4th down they're on the move, doesn't make Dak's pick the kicker's fault. Does he get credit for helping them score a TD if they do that there? 

As for Maher not being Tucker, few kickers are and he is consistently good from long range, but not much better over his career than Maher (both in the low 70% on FGs of 50+). Maher has kicked a lot of long FGs this year, 11 of his 27 attempts over 50 in his 4 year career, and he has at least 3 of 60 or longer in his career. His recent struggles impacted the coaches decision. He's not bad, but maybe they can find somebody better.

Sorry maybe I'm missing the point, but it sounds like you're blaming Maher (who missed a single XP) more than Dak who threw 2 costly picks. 

Definitely missing the point. I'm just simply stating that his recent performance, absolutely impacted the coaching decisions and outcome of the game.  Obviously, I understand that no one is Tucker.

And I've already commented on the bad Dak's impact on the game, along with the loss of Pollard. What happens with you is, when you hear a point being made, you zoom in on that in isolation as if it's the only point being made. Maher, and the kicking issues, were simply one variable in the midst of several others that aided to the Cowboys' loss.  No need to make more of it, as if I have it out for Maher and am currently constructing a Voodoo doll of him to stab all off season. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, whomper said:

I have resigned myself to the fact that we will never ever ever win a SB with Dak at the helm. Good character guy but not an upper tier qb no matter how much we are paying him

Agree.

I fear this exact scenario for the Giants.  There are parallels between Dak and Jones. They both have a similar skill set, both can run, and both have the same mistake pattern. IMO, both give the illusion that they can raise their games high enough to capture a championship, but in reality, they are lacking what it truly takes to accomplish that.  The primary difference is that Dak has already been paid extremely well, and Jones is playing out his rookie contract.

The "fear" I have is that the Giants will make the same mistake with Jones. Because they had a winning season, they are now relegated to drafting late, so there won't be any of the top prospects left to select. So, they are essentially stuck with Jones. How long they will be stuck with him is what concerns me.

A 2-year "prove it" deal is about as far as I would go, at 25 million per.  I know that's not how it will play out though, so all I can hope for is that Joe S. and Brian D. recognize that Jones is not worth a longer term, higher paying contract, and that if he is offered a better deal somewhere else, they let him walk.

If they give Jones anything resembling what Dak is making, or whatever the current demand is for QB's, then they will be pissing it away, and making an already bad cap situation worse.  If he will accept a 2 or 3 year deal, at roughly 25-28 million per year, then I can live with that, but only if they make stipulations in his contract that allow for an escape clause.  I don't want this guy handcuffing my team if he turns out to be what I think he is.