[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Divisional Round

whomper

Two words - Brock Purdy

Forget about Trey Lance or Jimmy G.  This guy just keeps doing it. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

That they are.  Not sure they are as loaded as the Eagles, but expect a close game next week.

Not going to be easy vs philly…

a qb more willing to run

more offensive weapons than dal and the hawks

very good defense 

they have been slumping a little, but hurts changes things 

• Like 1

Just now, Bier Meister said:

Not going to be easy vs philly…

a qb more willing to run

more offensive weapons than dal and the hawks

very good defense 

they have been slumping a little, but hurts changes things 

I'd definitely be more concerned about the challenges you guys will face with the Eagles' more talented offense, than what Dallas brought. However, I think you'll have more success against their defense versus this game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gilthorp said:

I would expect another physical slog. Can't wait.

I think we'll see more offensive explosiveness. 

45 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Both defensive teams were spectacular.

Solid matchup when every yard is earned.

Agree 100% Dallas defense impressed the hell out of me tonight. I haven’t watched any of their games this year besides last week and man they can flat out ball kudos! This game came down to physicality niners punish teams on defense and get them rattled. Dak made too many mistakes and shoulda had a third walk off pick if greenlaw knew how to catch a ball  Well they pay him to play defense tackle and punish guys and I’m glad he’s on the niners! Helluva game brings me right back to the rivalry of the early 90’s. Not much better feeling beating the cowboys or the packers for my history as a fan with those two organizations. Gonna be a battle next week I give eagles the edge with home field advantage and hurts. But I’m optimistic this magic run can continue to the Bowl! Bang Bang Niner Gang!!:yay:

My sincere condolences to all Cowboy fans.  That was one hell of a game, and a tremendous effort by the defense.  With a better QB, the Cowboys are playing in Philadelphia next week.

Ah, but close is only good enough in horseshoes, isn't it?  At the end of the day, in the final analysis, when push comes to shove, when the chit hits the fan, or any other idiom you can think of...the Cowboys are just the newest member of the 'also ran' club.

Yes, as we all know, only 1 team every year walks away with a VLT.  And for the TWENTY SEVENTH year in a row, the Dallas Cowboys will NOT be that team.

There's always next year, and the year after that, and that, and that, and that, etc.etc.etc.  When it's been 27 years, this is really the only sanity saving mantra that Cowboy fans can cling to, however insufficient it is.  But I guess a glass half full approach is the better way to go in this case.

There, I think I've sufficiently covered this.  No snark intended. 😉😊:brow:

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

With a better QB, the Cowboys are playing in Philadelphia next week.

Trust me, I was rooting for them. 

I've gotten to like Dak over the years but it's games like this where we're reminded of his immediate deficiencies. He's just not a big game QB, never has been. 

It's going to be brawl in Philly next weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing what these 2 defenses can do. It's going to be a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Trust me, I was rooting for them. 

I've gotten to like Dak over the years but it's games like this where we're reminded of his immediate deficiencies. He's just not a big game QB, never has been. 

It's going to be brawl in Philly next weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing what these 2 defenses can do. It's going to be a lot of fun. 

It's as it should be, the Niners and Eagles were clearly the 2 best teams in the NFC this year, and this will be a 15 round, drag down, bare knuckled fight...I can't wait.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Agee. I think it worked out as designed. Any one of these 4 teams have a legitimate shot at winning the Superbowl. 

It's always a shame when guys aren't healthy at the end of the year, especially key players like Mahomes. But hey, it's football, it's the nature of the beast.  Part of the war is staying alive and well enough to win the battle.  Hurts isn't 100%, but he's got a legit shot at ring, and I think the Niners lucked out when Jimmy G went down...not that I wanted to see him get hurt. But the reality is that Purdy gives them the best chance at winning.

Hurts is a no nonsense, eyes on the prize kid, and really likeable.  Can't say the same for his head coach though. 😉

Agree, old school game decided by some bounces and a slumping K.  If Maher was not in a slump, thinking they kick the 54 yarder, not making that 4th & 4, which led to a turnover.

In 3rd quarter, decided either team at a disadvantage next week, since they were beating the snot outta each other.

12 hours ago, irish said:

The absence of a good kicker has already cost Dallas at least 6 points.   

Dallas is controlling this game and losing because of Maher would suck. Despite Dak's turnovers and the loss of Pollard, the defense has really held the 49ers in check and the offense is making some plays. Even after a huge kickoff return by McCloud, the 49ers couldn't move the ball. 

I presume those 6 points were in the prior game? Because I don't recall any missed FG, or times they passed on reasonably likely FGs last night. I even skimmed the play-by-play and don't see any drives that ended with missed FG chances. 2 picks, 2 FG, 1 TD, and several punts from outside FG range (closest was SF 45).

I see now somebody talking about the time they went for it on 4th-n-4 and converted, and then Dak throws a pick. Instead of kicking the 50+ yarder on 4th down. Really people are going to blame the kicker for Dak throwing a pick?  That's seems silly. 

Yes Maher was a disaster the prior week, and had the blocked (would have missed anyway) XP yesterday. But I don't see how that impacted the game, and they won last week despite his mistakes. If they would have lost by a point, because of the missed XP then he'd shoulder some blame.

The two interceptions were big factors in the loss, first deep in your own end for an easy FG then in the RZ when you should have at least got a FG, instead SF gets one to end the half. 

Edited by stevegrab

11 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That's a shame, this game was very winnable for the Cowboys. Dak just doesn't have it in him to win a game of this this magnitude. 

Bingo

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I presume those 6 points were in the prior game? Because I don't recall any missed FG, or times they passed on reasonably likely FGs last night. I even skimmed the play-by-play and don't see any drives that ended with missed FG chances. 2 picks, 2 FG, 1 TD, and several punts from outside FG range (closest was SF 45).

Yes Maher was a disaster the prior week, and had the blocked (would have missed anyway) XP yesterday. But I don't see how that impacted the game, and they won last week despite his mistakes. If they would have lost by a point, because of the missed XP then he'd shoulder some blame.

The two interceptions were big factors in the loss, first deep in your own end for an easy FG then in the RZ when you should have at least got a FG, instead SF gets one to end the half. 

Prior to Dak throwing his 2nd pick (2nd Q 2:00), when it was 4th and 4 from the SF 35, if they had faith in Maher, he attempts a 53 yarder there. That's a possible loss of 3 points there and then ends in the obvious int. 

3rd Q (6:05 left) Dallas is 4th and 5 from the SF 40 and could've attempted a 58-yarder there as well. A team with a guy like Justin Tucker, in a game as close as this one was, tries that FG. 

There are your possible 6 points, even if the 2nd one is far-fetched. 

After the 1st FG opportunity that was passed up, and subsequent 49ers' int, the 49ers drive and kicked a 50-yard FG. 6 point swing. 

After the 2nd FG opportunity that was passed up, Dallas took a 5-yard penalty, punted and the 49ers drove the length of the field for the game-winning and their only TD.  10 point swing.