[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Found a Great YouTube Sports Channel

Chief Dick

So, this channel is great for good sports takes. This is also my 17 year old son.  He loves sports and is planning a career of some kind in sports.

Anyway, if you are so inclined give him a listen. Subscribe if you want. Share if you like it. Post advice here - he's learning and all advice helps.

Here is the latest video.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Super props the young man. I subscribed a while ago. The only thing I would tell him that he needs to turn the nervous energy to using his hands or something else than rocking back and forth. He's got a good voice and speaks clearly which is huge and he's obviously knowledgeable. I hope he has fun with it and that there's a reason ten years from now to say "I remember back when..."

:tup:

7 hours ago, DMD said:

The only thing I would tell him that he needs to turn the nervous energy to using his hands or something else than rocking back and forth. He's got a good voice and speaks clearly which is huge and he's obviously knowledgeable.

Agree with this 100%.  Just some constructive criticism, no offense intended. You must be a proud poppa, his voice was made for this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DMD said:

Super props the young man. I subscribed a while ago. The only thing I would tell him that he needs to turn the nervous energy to using his hands or something else than rocking back and forth. He's got a good voice and speaks clearly which is huge and he's obviously knowledgeable. I hope he has fun with it and that there's a reason ten years from now to say "I remember back when..."

:tup:

43 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Agree with this 100%.  Just some constructive criticism, no offense intended. You must be a proud poppa, his voice was made for this.

Yeah, we have definitely talked about this. :lol:

• Haha 1

Great video, agree with DMD. He definitely has the voice for it and looks the part as well. You can flat out tell he's speaking from knowledge & preparation rather than reading from a teleprompt and the video flows well because of it. A couple of minor pieces of advice I'd give:

It may not be within his control just yet, but he needs a different background just to give it a more professional feel. Also, engage with the camera more rather than the monitor. It'll feel more like he is talking to the viewer rather than just talking out loud. This may sound dumb, but if he has to, put a picture of someone's face behind the camera to make it feel like he's talking to someone.

BTW, Cam Jordan is hosting the red carpet at the awards show. Should be entertaining. ;) 

• Like 1

Agree with the points others have made. I know all the online meeting software has a way to do a background, hopefully he can find something like that in the tools used to create his video. Or maybe just hang a big sports logo flag behind him. 

Really like the use of PFR site to show stuff, its a great source of easy to access NFL info. I always recommend it to people trying to find information. I would suggest he consider closing the video windows that show on PFR pages while recording, it adds a bit of distraction to the rest of the video. 

Pretty good selections, and explanation of why he goes with one guy over others. 

Now how did you find this channel ;) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Agree with the points others have made. I know all the online meeting software has a way to do a background, hopefully he can find something like that in the tools used to create his video. Or maybe just hang a big sports logo flag behind him. 

Really like the use of PFR site to show stuff, its a great source of easy to access NFL info. I always recommend it to people trying to find information. I would suggest he consider closing the video windows that show on PFR pages while recording, it adds a bit of distraction to the rest of the video. 

Pretty good selections, and explanation of why he goes with one guy over others. 

Now how did you find this channel ;) 

We use Microsoft Teams and it does backgrounds, but I think at this stage it could just be something simple like your other suggestion. I kinda disagree on the PFR thing. I get it and funny enough I actually caught myself going to close the ad at the bottom of his screen, but at this stage he doesn't have the resources to build his own graphics and he needs something to be able to reference to visually. If he can get some more traffic & then maybe pick up his own advertisers, then maybe he can start doing more there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

@Chief Dickhas he decided what (or if) he wants to do for college yet? If he wants to continue down this path then maybe start looking at a communications degree.

35-40 years ago 😲 when I attended college I remember those were considered pretty worthless and what people did who had no idea what they wanted to pursue. I'm sure that has changed.

8 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

35-40 years ago 😲 when I attended college I remember those were considered pretty worthless and what people did who had no idea what they wanted to pursue. I'm sure that has changed.

:lol: My daughter recently finished her degree in strategic communications and is working on her degree in graphic design. She's already made some money doing content design for web pages and is planning on going the advertising route. You're right, 35-40 years ago prior to the internet, it wouldn't get you very far. It's a lot different now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Great video, agree with DMD. He definitely has the voice for it and looks the part as well. You can flat out tell he's speaking from knowledge & preparation rather than reading from a teleprompt and the video flows well because of it. A couple of minor pieces of advice I'd give:

It may not be within his control just yet, but he needs a different background just to give it a more professional feel. Also, engage with the camera more rather than the monitor. It'll feel more like he is talking to the viewer rather than just talking out loud. This may sound dumb, but if he has to, put a picture of someone's face behind the camera to make it feel like he's talking to someone.

BTW, Cam Jordan is hosting the red carpet at the awards show. Should be entertaining. ;) 

Yeah, we will be working on his background this weekend. He has a lot of sports posters, soccer scarves, a Chiefs helmet - our house has all kinds of stuff we can use there.  

To your other question about college - his plan is to major in Sports Management. He knows realistically he probably won't be a talk show host or media personality, so we wants the flexibility to move into a lot of different careers. There are several colleges within about a two hour drive of KC that offer that degree, and we would like him to stay close to here if possible because of the number of pro sports teams we have here. They offer internships and such so there be some opportunities to get some real work experience.

But who knows - the kid loves talking about sports. The communications idea is a good one - maybe he can minor in that. I'm going to encourage him to get involved with any sports related team on campus. Maybe help the football team as a manager. Maybe get in with the announcers as a go-fer. Just start rubbing elbows with people in sports.

Edited by Chief Dick
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Yeah, we talked about this last night. I said the exact same thing.  He's still refining his presentation. 

30 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

Yeah, we will be working on his background this weekend. He has a lot of sports posters, soccer scarves, a Chiefs helmet - our house has all kinds of stuff we can use there.  

To your other question about college - his plan is to major in Sports Management. He knows realistically he probably won't be a talk show host or media personality, so we wants the flexibility to move into a lot of different careers. There are several colleges within about a two hour drive of KC that offer that degree, and we would like him to stay close to here if possible because of the number of pro sports teams we have here. They offer internships and such so there be some opportunities to get some real work experience.

But who knows - the kid loves talking about sports. The communications idea is a good one - maybe he can minor in that. I'm going to encourage him to get involved with any sports related team on campus. Maybe help the football team as a manager. Maybe get in with the announcers as a go-fer. Just start rubbing elbows with people in sports.

Sounds like a great plan and wish him a ton of success. A lot of colleges, especially those with big sports programs, have their own school-sponsored radio shows and/or podcasts. Maybe that's something he can get into as well. Or, if he's ambitious in that way, something he can start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1