[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kickoff rule approved

Big John

Kickoff formations have now greatly changed to be similar to the XFL rule the last couple years. Kicks still fron the 35 yard line, but only the kicker is allowed there - the rest of the kicking team must line up on the opponents 40 yard line.  The receiving team may have 1 or 2 returners behind their own 35byard line - the rest of the return team must line up on their own 35 yard line.  No one except the kicker and the 1-2 returners may move until the ball reaches the returner or hits the ground.

The kick balled must hit a specified receiving zone or the ball will be placed on a specified yard line depending on where it landed, but the penalty is not nearly as severe as enacted in the XFL.

Just get rid of kickoffs and have some way to a special play after a score an onside kick attempt.  Maybe just roll some dice or something. 

3 minutes ago, devilwoman said:

How does that work for an onside kick?????

Yep I wonder the same thing, since that was one of the objections to entirely eliminating the kickoff. 

7 minutes ago, devilwoman said:

How does that work for an onside kick?????

They rejected a 4th and 20 option for it.  The onsides rarely worked with the added-on restrictions so i think they are just doing away with it at least for this year.

Well, what a bunch of horse manure that is....:furious:.  So if you just scored and are down by 1 point with 35 sec to go...I guess you just throw in the towel and go to the locker room.  :smash::moon::nutkick:

Edited by devilwoman
  • Thanks 1

yeah a little...I love watching onside kicks...its exciting...and I'd guess the players love being the GUY that gets the ball.  It adds suspense to the game.

Are you not a fan of the onside kick???  Honestly it has to be the ONLY play where a guy doesn't get hurt...I can't remember if ever a guy was injured on an onside kick play......

Edited by devilwoman

1 hour ago, devilwoman said:

Honestly it has to be the ONLY play where a guy doesn't get hurt...I can't remember if ever a guy was injured on an onside kick play......

John is searching. To be continued....

• Like 1

So here are the new rules for kickoffs...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2024/03/26/nfl-kickoff-rule-change-approved-owners-meetings/73104181007/

Still not clear on onside kicks according to this article....will look further...

OK.... here is another article...better actually and does include rules for an onside kick...4th quarter only, which leaves out the element of surprise...which I'm not in favor of...its the element of surprise that makes the game exciting...but whatever...:moon:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-approves-radical-kickoff-rule-change-heres-what-to-know-143919818.html

Edited by devilwoman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, devilwoman said:

yeah a little...I love watching onside kicks...its exciting...and I'd guess the players love being the GUY that gets the ball.  It adds suspense to the game.

Are you not a fan of the onside kick???  Honestly it has to be the ONLY play where a guy doesn't get hurt...I can't remember if ever a guy was injured on an onside kick play......

I believe they have neutered it. Like they seem to be with quite a bit. WWENFL

7 minutes ago, Big John said:

For onside kicks, they need to be announced ahead of time, then the old formation can be used.

Only in the 4th quarter though...cant do it any other time and you are correct, it has to be announced...WHERE IS THE SURPRISE IN THAT??? :shrug:

4 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I believe they have neutered it. Like they seem to be with quite a bit. WWENFL

Neutering for some is a good thing, but not for football....just saying....:nutkick:

If they want to make the game more safe, play all games on real grass. If they want to make the game more safe, get rid of Thursday games. If they want to make the game more safe, don't play it. 

It's a violent, physical game.

1 hour ago, devilwoman said:

Only in the 4th quarter though...cant do it any other time and you are correct, it has to be announced...WHERE IS THE SURPRISE IN THAT??? :shrug:

Didn't Sean McVay run one in the first half of a big playoff game the year they won the SB? 

I looked but could not find that, I do see a case of the Lions doing this to the Rams in the first quarter in 2021. 

Onsides happen in college more...provides that edge of getting more possessions in close games with teams that are similar.  Oregon has done it a few times...but mostly we execute fake punts near our own 20yd line.  Talk about exciting and ballsey calls by the coach...:headbang:.  If it doesn't work of course people want the coach fired...:facepalm:.  Fans are a weird bunch!! :crazy:

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

I remember Sean Payton doing a surprise onsides during the SB.  

When did Steve switch from complaining about people complaining about NFL rules to complaining about NFL rules?  😛

Maybe that is what I'm thinking of.

I've regularly complain about the need of sports leagues to change rules every year or two, often with lame reasoning.