[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First 4 Draft Picks- QBs?

Docniner

Do you guys think it's possible that the first 4 picks jn this years draft could be QBs? I certainly think it's possible. The first 3 teams, Chicago,Washington and New England definitely need QBs and it should go Williams, Daniel's and Maye in all probability. Which brings us to pick #4 for Arizona. The Vikings have 2 first round picks and pretty certain Darnold is not their future so they could use the 2 picks to move up to #4 and draft QB JJ McCarthy. I think this scenario is a real possibility. Then at pick #5 the Chargers would be in the cat bird seat and take the best WR in this class, Marvin Harrison Jr. If that were to happen QB Herbert would be elated. So I'd like to get you guys thoughts on what you think will happen with the first 4 picks this year.and could it end up that QBs are.drafted with those picks.

It's very possible, but the cardinals are in desperate need of WR help. But there are quite a few scenarios where teams are trading up to that #4 spot. Arizona can make out big here.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shaft said:

It's very possible, but the cardinals are in desperate need of WR help. But there are quite a few scenarios where teams are trading up to that #4 spot. Arizona can make out big here.

True, if the Vikings offer up their 2 first rounders I think the Cardinals could still get a top receiver with the #11 pick.  Harrison and likely Nabers will be gone by #11 but Arizona could snag Rome Odunze atthat spot. He's clearly top 3 in this receiving class and can be aWR1 for the Cards plus they'll have another puck in the first. Don't like Arizona getting extra picks since they're in the same division as my 49ers but they could do themselves a lot of good trading done and then there'd be 4 QBs gone in the the first 4 picks.

7 hours ago, Shaft said:

They'll do something similar to what they did last year.  This is a WR-rich draft and they'll make out like bandits from one of those QB-needy teams.

I bet the Vikings will move up to 4, take McCarthy, and the Cards, at 11, will take best WR available.  Could potentially be Odunze if he falls, otherwise Brian Thomas Jr.

This made me look at the last ten years. Lotta flops for QBs taken in their first ten picks. 

Screenshot 2024-03-29 192855.png

Looking at DMD's list of 22 QBs taken in the top 10 only about halfof those guys are really any good with of course Mahomes and Allen being the best of them. Doesn't look like good odds of taking a QB in the top 10 but in the NFL yeams are enamored with QBs and rightfully so. Always seems to be QB needy teams at the top of the draft and panic will force teams to take one or move up to get one of the touted guys and ends up being a crapshoot which doesn't always end well. Case in point recently being #2 pick Zach Wilson and the #3 pick of my 49ers Tey Lance. Sure didn't work out for those 2. I'm still gonna say I think QBs will go with the first 4 picks and odds are it'll be lucky if 2 of them pan out. 

I do like the fact that Jim Harbaugh is pumping it up for QBs to go with the first 4 leaving his Chargers in a prime spot to get the #1 WR, being whichever they like the most of Marvin Harrison Jr. Or Malik Nabers. I think Odunze slots in as the 3rd best WR. So we shall see.ckme draft day but don't be surprised if the first 4 picks are QBs.

Washington Ckmmanders apparently have been receiving multiple calls about acquiring their #2 pick. I think they'd be foolish to trade out. They've had so many different QBs over the last few years and they need to finally nail a franchise QB for the long term. They can fo that with the #2 pick. Now New England sits at #3. They for sure need a QB but they have so many needs at other positions I could see them trading down to get multiple picks and maybe get a QB early 2nd round. Maybe  Bo Nix could be there in the 2nd. Still, I could see teams trading up to the #3 and the #4 pick to get one of the top 4 QBs. Should be interesting to see how all this dhakes out.

On 3/30/2024 at 9:21 AM, Docniner said:

Looking at DMD's list of 22 QBs taken in the top 10 only about halfof those guys are really any good with of course Mahomes and Allen being the best of them. Doesn't look like good odds of taking a QB in the top 10 but in the NFL yeams are enamored with QBs and rightfully so. Always seems to be QB needy teams at the top of the draft and panic will force teams to take one or move up to get one of the touted guys and ends up being a crapshoot which doesn't always end well. Case in point recently being #2 pick Zach Wilson and the #3 pick of my 49ers Tey Lance. Sure didn't work out for those 2. I'm still gonna say I think QBs will go with the first 4 picks and odds are it'll be lucky if 2 of them pan out. 

I do like the fact that Jim Harbaugh is pumping it up for QBs to go with the first 4 leaving his Chargers in a prime spot to get the #1 WR, being whichever they like the most of Marvin Harrison Jr. Or Malik Nabers. I think Odunze slots in as the 3rd best WR. So we shall see.ckme draft day but don't be surprised if the first 4 picks are QBs.

Is that really working? Are NFL GMs more likely to draft a QB now than before because of what Harbaugh is saying, specifically heaping praise on his guy McCarthy from Michigan? 

On 4/1/2024 at 12:03 PM, stevegrab said:

Is that really working? Are NFL GMs more likely to draft a QB now than before because of what Harbaugh is saying, specifically heaping praise on his guy McCarthy from Michigan? 

I'd say yes. I think teams respect Harbaugh and he's been successful with QBs at the college and pro level so.I think QB needy teams will consider Harbaugh's opinion on JJ McCarthy. His draft.stock has certainly risen and teams that need a QB figure there may not be a lot of QB talent coming out of college next year. So after Williams, Daniel's and Maye are most likely gone in the first 3 picks some teams figure they'll swing for the fences and move up to #4 to take McCarthy. Even as the 4th rated QB I think he'll fare better than my 49ets pick at #3 of Trey Lance. That one still burns alot. Still.some team will hope that McCarthy doesn't turn out like Lance or Zach Wilson. Your chance of winning a superboel aren't great if you don't have a decent QB. Is McCarthy a SB winning type of QB? Who knows but I'd almost bet that a team moves up to #4 to take McCarthy and find out.

Lot of people think that the Vikings would trade their 1st rounders ti move up to get a QB but if they're gonna give up their 2 first round picks to get one they should try to talk the Patriots jnto trading their #3 pick to the Vikes. Yes, Minnesota will be looking to get a QB but they may not want to give up their 2 picks just to get McCarthy. Maybe he needs a little more pumping up from Harbaugh, lol.

3 hours ago, Docniner said:

I'd say yes. I think teams respect Harbaugh and he's been successful with QBs at the college and pro level so.I think QB needy teams will consider Harbaugh's opinion on JJ McCarthy. His draft.stock has certainly risen and teams that need a QB figure there may not be a lot of QB talent coming out of college next year. So after Williams, Daniel's and Maye are most likely gone in the first 3 picks some teams figure they'll swing for the fences and move up to #4 to take McCarthy. Even as the 4th rated QB I think he'll fare better than my 49ets pick at #3 of Trey Lance. That one still burns alot. Still.some team will hope that McCarthy doesn't turn out like Lance or Zach Wilson. Your chance of winning a superboel aren't great if you don't have a decent QB. Is McCarthy a SB winning type of QB? Who knows but I'd almost bet that a team moves up to #4 to take McCarthy and find out.

Lot of people think that the Vikings would trade their 1st rounders ti move up to get a QB but if they're gonna give up their 2 first round picks to get one they should try to talk the Patriots jnto trading their #3 pick to the Vikes. Yes, Minnesota will be looking to get a QB but they may not want to give up their 2 picks just to get McCarthy. Maybe he needs a little more pumping up from Harbaugh, lol.

Lots of QB picked in the first round, including the top have flamed out. As a Browns fan I am eminently familiar with that. Not sure why Lance failed, surely the injury didn't help. 

I just don't see GMs changing their plan based on Harbaugh's praise of his QB, who he has no plans to draft. I am not saying nobody respects his opinion, just that these people do their own research and won't be swayed by somebody trying to con them into making a move that benefits them. (Would be different if Harbaugh were still UM coach, but even then these GMs would already need to be considering drafting a QB.)

18 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Lots of QB picked in the first round, including the top have flamed out. As a Browns fan I am eminently familiar with that. Not sure why Lance failed, surely the injury didn't help. 

I just don't see GMs changing their plan based on Harbaugh's praise of his QB, who he has no plans to draft. I am not saying nobody respects his opinion, just that these people do their own research and won't be swayed by somebody trying to con them into making a move that benefits them. (Would be different if Harbaugh were still UM coach, but even then these GMs would already need to be considering drafting a QB.)

Yes, you are right. GMs really eon't be swayed by Harbaugh's opinion of JJ McCartthy but with several teams jn bad need of a QB ot lends to teams doing a more intense research kn the Michigan QB a ND see whether Harbaughs comments have any merit. At pick #5 Harbaugh and the Chargers are in the catbird seat as to who they'll select and I say it comes down to either Marvin Harrison Jr. or Malik Nabers who I think both will be available come pick 5. I believe that McCarthy stock had been rising even before Harbaughs comments so I think it's still a good bet that QBs go with the first 4 picks but everything you said in your post I believe to be correct.