[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jones brothers...first time ever?

Jumbie

This question came up at work today. Julius Jones is starting for Dallas and his older brother, Thomas, is starting for the Bears. Is this the first time that brothers have started at running back in the same game against each other?

I've been watching football for 35 years and I can't think of any others. Can you?

From Chicago Tribune website.

--------------------------

By David Haugh

Tribune staff reporter

November 23, 2004, 10:53 PM CST

As someone who can relate to what Bears running back Thomas Jones might be feeling this week as he prepares to play against his younger brother, Julius, and the Dallas Cowboys, Eddie Payton offered some advice.

"I'd tell Thomas that even though you love your little brother, kick his [butt]," said Payton, 52, the older brother of Bears legend Walter Payton.

Eddie Payton estimated he played against Walter and the Bears at least 12 times in his nine-year NFL career with the Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs and Minnesota Vikings—including once on Thanksgiving Day as the Jones brothers will do Thursday.

The Paytons bet airfare on the outcome of that game in 1977: The loser paid for their mother Alyne's flight to the game. Walter's Bears beat Eddie's Lions 31-14, so Eddie had to pay up—not to mention the price he paid in the off-season.

"Playing against your brother was always something that got your motor running more than any other game," said Payton, currently the golf coach at Jackson State. "To know that while I was hunting and fishing in the off-season that this person would constantly bring it up all summer if I lost was the biggest motivation ever."

A Bears fan, Payton will keep up with the Joneses on Thursday by watching the game—and think of his brother.

"He died in early November five years ago and it's still rough around the holidays," Payton said. "We used to love Thanksgiving—especially playing against each other."

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

Jacksonville Jaguar MLB Mike Peterson could actually have to tackle his brother, Chicago Bear RB Adrian Peterson. I bet that is more common though. I can't think of any other brothers who could be on the field at the same time, but it is late. . .

Mannings are both on offense

Baileys are both on defense

Jones are both on offense

WR Jake Reed of the Vikings and CB Dale Carter were half brothers, I think. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Eddie Payton didn't start at RB at the same time that Walter started for the Bears...he only returned kicks. I still can't think of brothers starting at RB, in the same game, for opposing teams.

Not that it really matters all that much.