[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shaud Williams

spain

well lets just say he was 3rd on the depth chart for a reason the kid does have some skills and he has gotten touches the past few weeks...IF he is going to be the starter and WILLIS is OUT then you can maybe expect 50-75 from him and outside shot at a TD?

*I think he set some sort of record(s) in college but cant remember what it was

December 23, 2004) — ORCHARD PARK — It is uncertain whether Willis McGahee will play Sunday afternoon in San Francisco, but Travis Henry, out since Nov. 28 with torn ligaments in his ankle, left no doubt about his availability for the game.

"What do you want to talk to me for, I ain't playing," Henry said Wednesday before the Bills began their preparation for their must-win game against the 49ers.

"I'm not playing. I'm still rehabbing, taking it day by day. It's feeling better, but we'll see."

With Henry ruling himself out, and McGahee hobbled by the knee injury he suffered last week in Cincinnati, it looks as if rookie Shaud Williams will make his first NFL start.

"It's a great opportunity," said the former Alabama star. "We're not sure on anybody's status right now, but I have to be ready to go."

Coach Mike Mularkey said both McGahee and Henry are questionable for the game. Neither practiced Wednesday as Williams and Joe Burns shared the snaps with the first-string offense.

Mularkey said that if McGahee can't play, Williams and Burns would probably share playing time, but he wouldn't say who would start.

Williams was inactive for the first 11 games of the season because of a knee injury. He dressed but did not play at Miami.

He made his pro debut in the blowout against Cleveland, carrying 10 times for 42 yards and a touchdown, then took over for McGahee last week and had 14 carries for 30 yards.

"It's been tough," Williams said of sitting out so long, "but at the same time it has been a learning experience. Anytime you sit behind two guys like Travis and Willis and just learn from those guys, it's definitely a learning experience."

The 5-foot-7, 193-pound Williams was undrafted and signed with the Bills as a free agent. His size was one of the reasons no one called his name on draft day.

"That's been my motivation ever since I started playing football, people telling me I can't do this and can't do that," he said. "This is just one more obstacle, someone else telling me I can't do it so I'm going to go out there and try to prove them wrong."

Bah humbug: After 13 years in the NFL, cornerback Troy Vincent is immune to working on the holidays. The Bills have to fly to San Francisco on Christmas Day, but Vincent said that's part of life in the NFL.

"It's just another day, same as anniversaries or birthdays," Vincent said.

"Coach is not going to give you any time off, practice isn't going to end early. Holidays are just another day to us."

Quarterback Drew Bledsoe said that this is a week filled with distractions, but the Bills can't afford to let the hustle bustle of the holiday week affect their preparation.

"When you walk through the doors to the facilities you go to work," he said. "There's always distractions, outside things that guys are dealing with and it's the holiday season and we all love it. I'm Christmas shopping for my kids and they're all fired up, but when you come to work you say 'Merry Christmas' and you get to work. That's what you have to do.

"We've worked way too hard and been through too much to get ourselves in this situation to take our eye off the ball for a minute, so we're not going to."

Up close and personal: Joe Castellano, a former radio voice of the Rochester Red Wings, will be on the sidelines for the game at Monster Park in San Francisco. Castellano, a Bay Area native, works for CBS and he will serve as the sideline reporter.

After leaving Rochester, Castellano went to work for CBS as a statistician and he covered the Summer Olympics in Greece for CBS Radio.

Extra points: The Bills placed long snapper Jon Dorenbos on the injured reserve list because of a knee injury and he will miss the rest of the season.

The Bills signed running back Dante Brown off the Cleveland Browns' practice squad. He spent the first 10 weeks on Pittsburgh's practice squad. He spent almost all of 2003 on the Steelers' practice squad after signing as a rookie free agent out of Memphis.

clayton on espn said that mcgahee won't play.  williams is all of five feet seven inches.  pretty small.  i would temper my expectations if you are starting him.  clayton also said that he suspects the bills will come out passing early to try and open up the running game later.

631503[/snapback]

When did he say this? So does this mean he won't suit up for the game? More info please!!

McGahee has been cleared by doctors to play, although it appears Shaud Williams will start. However, McGahee will be available to play and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play.

Just saw this reported by Mort on countdown. The speculation that he'll play is mine. Mort said he will suit up and be available though which sounds to me like he's probably going to play a little. This game is a must win for Buffalo and they're 8-1 with McGahee as the starter.