[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congratulations Peyton Manning!

CaptainHook

What a game! The crowd was great! I can say I saw #18 break the record-LIVE! Manning threw the pass to Stokely and I saw it live!

I was in the endzone above the first "I" in Indianapolis-What a view!

Manning signaled to Stokely before the play and BS broke off and Manning threw it before the route was complete. What a pass!

What a catch! What an incredible year! One for the ages!

With a first-and-10 at the San Diego 21-yard line, and the Colts in typical no-huddle style as they approached the line of scrimmage following an 18-yard hookup to wide receiver Marvin Harrison on second-down, Manning sidled up to Stokley and quietly delivered a play to his slot man.

The cryptic message: Run the post.

The play actually was a combination corner-post route, a classic double move that had succeeded for the Colts and for Stokley in practice, but that they had never run in any of their previous 14 games this season. At least not from a three-wide receiver formation with Stokely aligned in the left slot.

Earlier in the fourth quarter, Stokley and Reggie Wayne had run a derivation of the play, for a seven-yard gain by the latter. But on that play, with Wayne running a hitch route, Stokley had run a corner pattern. Not surprisingly, when a San Diego corner jumped on the Stokley route, Manning filed his hair-trigger reaction away for future reference.

With the game on the line, and needing a different twist against a San Diego secondary that played a deceptively aggressive zone much of the contest, Manning flipped through his voluminous mental inventory. He told Stokley to fake the corner route and then break the pattern to the post.

Touchdown. Record. And then one short Edgerrin James off-tackle burst for the tying two-point conversion.

"It worked just like it had in practice," said Stokley, who had seven receptions for 123 yards and became the third Colts receiver to go over the 1,000-yark mark for the year. "I mean, as soon as I saw how the corner reacted, with him going for the corner (route) fake, I knew I was open. The only thing is, the ball was on me so fast, I barely got my head spun around in time to see the thing. But Peyton, heck, he sold the play really well."

Fact is, as he walked up to the line of scrimmage, Manning looked toward Stokley and pounded his right fist into his left hand several times. The maneuver is, around the NFL, usually an audible for a corner route. But Manning, sensing that the Baltimore Ravens had caught on to some of the Indianapolis hand-signals last week, used it this time as a dummy audible. Actually, he could well have oversold the audible, because he used the hand signal at least four times before the snap.

As usual, for Manning, it all came together, as free safety Jerry Wilson took the bait and bit on the corner route. As Stokley broke the route inside, strong safety Terrence Kiel, who had an otherwise terrific game, slipped as he backpedaled. The result: There was no Chargers defender within five yards of Stokley when Manning's bullet stuck in his chest.

link

After getting panned by the critics for his poor performance in last year's AFC Championship game and the huge contract that he signed shortly after, Peyton responded by putting up the greatest season EVER by an NFL QB. Not only will he most likely end up with over 50 TDs and break the all-time single-season QB rating record next weekend, he also managed to carry his defense-impaired team to a division title (again), get three of his receivers to the 1000-yd/10-TD mark, and get the city to agree to terms with the team for a new stadium. Simply amazing.

Peyton could never make it to a Super Bowl, have "down" years in '05 and '06, suffer a career-ending injury afterwards, and he'd still be a lock for Canton.

:D

Edited by Bill Swerski

the Huddles very own

632280[/snapback]

Nice grammar there, Short Bus. :DB)

Don't be upset with Manning again just because Edge didn't score in your TD-only league playoff game. :bawling:

That dang shuffle pass shoulda been to James :D

632270[/snapback]

BTW, it's a "shovel" pass. There is no "shuffling" involved.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Nice grammar there, Short Bus.  :D    :D

Don't be upset with Manning again just because Edge didn't score in your TD-only league playoff game.  :bawling:

BTW, it's a "shovel" pass.  There is no "shuffling" involved.

632302[/snapback]

Can I help it that the ennuciation of the announcers is so poor that I heard and typed "shuffle"?

and we need another thread for this why?

632262[/snapback]

Well....some people don't spend the better part of their life wasting away in front of their computer trying to make 10,000 postings so that they can proclaim themself the Fanstasy Football second coming of Christ. Really now, whoever was the half-wit that thought if you simply spit out a few thousand lines of garbage into an Internet forum, you could be truly considered an "expert" in that field. What nonsense!

What I'm trying to get at, loaf, is that some people do not spend their entire lives at this forum, so they don't know all of the "little rules" that the multi-thousand posters such as yourself seem to know. You know what I mean: the rules that attempt to privatize these forums to a select few people that proclaim to be the world's fantasy elite.

So, why not just relax, take a chill pill, and let other people enjoy the game of football, even if it means an additional post once in a while? Why be so anal? Live and let live, I say! Or, do you not really enjoy the game of football? Maybe you just enjoy telling others what to do in a public forum.

Despite all the games vs. the Pats over the years as AFC East rivals -- and despite the Colts homers in here giving him as many reach-arounds as we Pats fans fans are accused of giving Brady B) -- I've always liked Manning & admired his obvious talent, which has always taken the Colts as far as they can go w/o a very solid defense, to his credit (which should change this year as the Indy D has improved, making it a definite three-horse race in the AFC, if you ask me, no offense to SD, NYJ, and BAL/BUF fans). Plus, he just seems like a good, hard-working dude...so good for him, congrats on the record :D

Oh, one thing, though: Peyton, next year, please have an awesome game like that WHEN I NEED YOU TO, NOT THE WEEK AFTERWARD!! :D

Week 15: 8 pts

Week 16: 38 pts

(sigh)

Shouldn't be critical of a little manlove.

It is the 21st century, after all.

632507[/snapback]

"Our" guys carries a purse and we still unabashedly love him. Nothing wrong with that.

Well....some people don't spend the better part of their life wasting away in front of their computer trying to make 10,000 postings so that they can proclaim themself the Fanstasy Football second coming of Christ. Really now, whoever was the half-wit that thought if you simply spit out a few thousand lines of garbage into an Internet forum, you could be truly considered an "expert" in that field. What  nonsense!

What I'm trying to get at, loaf, is that some people do not spend their entire lives at this forum, so they don't know all of the "little rules" that the multi-thousand posters such as yourself seem to know. You know what I mean: the rules that attempt to privatize these forums to a select few people that proclaim to be the world's fantasy elite.

So, why not just relax, take a chill pill, and let other people enjoy the game of football, even if it means an additional post once in a while? Why be so anal? Live and let live, I say! Or, do you not really enjoy the game of football? Maybe you just enjoy telling others what to do in a public forum.

632412[/snapback]

nicely done! what some french cries to go with you waaaaamburger?

Yes, congrats Peyton on a tremendous season. As a diehard Chargers fan, I gotta hand it to you. You came through in the clutch with some pinpoint throws at the end. This was a tough loss. I really thought the Chargers were going to pull this one off after LT2's TD to start the 4th quarter but that kickoff return by Rhodes gave the Colts the spark they needed to turn the tide. I thought the Chargers D did a tremendous job on Peyton for about three quarters of the game (4 sacks, 1 INT, 2 fumbles), but then Peyton found a rhythm and we were in trouble after that. Congrats Colts. Hope we get another shot at you in the playoffs. Go Chargers!