[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What exactly is a series?

Brentastic

okay..

So, I think a very complete definition is this:

A series is any grouping of plays that results in either a first down, a punt, a score or a turnover. So, if a team gets a first down on a 3rd and 2 pass, the "series: was the group of plays fromthe 1st and 10 up to that first down. at that point, a new series begins. So, a "series" could technically be only one play if a first down is achieved on 1st and 10.

A drive is the total accumulation of plays from the onset of possession up until a team either scores, puntsor commits a turnover.

So, a series can be made up of 1 or more plays.

A drive is made up of 1 or more series.

okay..

A series is any grouping of plays that results in either a first down, a punt, a score or a turnover. So, if a team gets a first down on a 3rd and 2 pass, the "series: was the group of plays fromthe 1st and 10 up to that first down. at that point, a new series begins. So, a "series" could technically be only one play if a first down is achieved on 1st and 10.

A drive is the total accumulation of plays from the onset of possession up until a team either scores, puntsor commits a turnover.

634959[/snapback]

I disagree. I don't think a series ends with a first down. When the Packers say Favre will play 2 series in the preseason, he plays two "drives"....ending in either a punt, turnover or a score. First downs are part of a series.

To use Tim Couch as an example: Couch plays 6 series

Edited by Sores

Definitions from ""Football Made Simple: A Spectator's Guide", found at this link

Drive

the series of plays a team puts together in an attempt to score

Series

the group of 4 downs a team has to advance 10 yards

So, based on that, when a team says a player is going ot play X number of seris, they are interchanging series for drive, which based on these definitions, is technically incorrect.

So you are saying all the sportswriters around the country have it wrong? I could post 100 links to references to series which are in essence also known as drives. I defer to the writers and opt not to side with "football made simple". To each his own when it comes to semantics.

A lot of these "definitions" are less than solid...sorry.

Edited by Sores

Personally I think they are used interchangeably by the general public, but, in the strictest sense of trying to define them, I believe the definitions for the items provided by the above referenced link are not a bad starting point.

One thing is for sure, a drive, as teams use drive charts, NFL.com and other sources provide drive charts, etc., is a summary of all plays from the point possession is gained until there is either a score, punt or turnover.

If a series is the same thing as a drive is up for debate. Certianly the term is thrown around as having the same definition, and it could easily be as I have yet to finda corroborating source to the one above other than several other sitesusing the same source for their definitions.

Sometimes the "series" of downs beginning with first down is referred to as a set of downs, so, if you are agreeable, we could say that a "set" of downs begins on 1st down and ends when either a new first down is made (at which point a new 'set' begins), there is a punt or a turnover, and a group of one or more "sets" constitutes a "drive", and a "drive" is synonymous with "series" in today's common semantics.

okay..

634959[/snapback]

Plagiarist. :D

I disagree.  I don't think a series ends with a first down.  When the Packers say Favre will play 2 series in the preseason, he plays two "drives"....ending in either a punt, turnover or a score.  First downs are part of a series.

To use Tim Couch as an example:  Couch plays 6 series

635075[/snapback]

If Tim Couch is being used as the example, it should be:

"Tim Couch series-ly sucks"

Brett Favre is going to play this series of downs and then sit his arse down.

That doesn't mean that he is going to play three downs. It means that he is going to stay on the field until his offense has either scored or has been stopped.

Edited: This doesn't mean that he plays all four quarters while playing the Vikes just because they can't stop him. :D

Edited by MikesVikes

I guess it's not a stupid question after all.  I've never thought about it until now.

634624[/snapback]

No, it isn't, really. Because, as someone mentioned, it seems to be used instead of drive by many writers and coaches.

I always assume (with emphasis on the a$$ because, well you know how the saying goes) that when an article, or coach, states that they expect them to play one series, maybe two, I take that to mean one drive, maybe two drives.

You'll hear coaches say we're going to alternate backs every series and what you usually see is one RB is in for a drive then the other one comes in for the next drive.

:D