[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawk Homers

SLAYER

Is anything being mentioned about Alexander"s Playing time? I know they have the late game and Rams have early game. If Rams lose are they saying if SA will play all game or sit him at half-time. It's not like they are a fine tuned machine, but will they risk it with the only player they have?

Any info please post. Have the treaded SB week 17 blues.

I would say he plays until they have the Div Champ won or lost..... If the Rams win they have to play the whole game... if the Rams lose you will see them play him until they have either have a hugh lead or they are so far behind they can't win. Personally I think you will see at least 3 qtrs out of him.

http://www.king5.com/sports/stories/NW_122...G.538bb0d2.html (Subscription req.)

KIRKLAND, Wash. - The Seattle Seahawks aren't the NFC West champions, yet.

Monday night's victory by Saint Louis over Philadelphia means the division title will come down to Sunday's final regular-season games. A Rams' loss would have given the division championship to the Seahawks, who already have a wild-card spot in the playoffs.

The Seahawks can still win the division either by beating Atlanta next Sunday, or having the Rams lose to the New York Jets.

At stake for the Seahawks is home-field advantage for a first-round playoff game on January 8th or 9th against Minnesota, Carolina or New Orleans.

Hasselbeck expected to start

Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren says he expects starting quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to be back at practice and to be ready to play against Atlanta in the team's final regular-season game Sunday.

Because of a right elbow injury, Hasselbeck didn't play Sunday in Seattle's 24-to-21 victory over Arizona.

Holmgren also says he expects five-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Walter Jones, starting strong safety Michael Boulware and starting fullback Mac Strong to be able to play against Atlanta.

Jones left Sunday's game in the third quarter with a lower left leg injury. Boulware suffered a sprained foot and Strong bruised a thigh.

Holmgren looks for Momentum going into playoffs

The head coach has been to two Super Bowls and is headed to the playoffs for the ninth time in his 19-year career as a head coach in the NFL.

So he thinks he knows what's the most important thing for a team going into the postseason.

"I believe in momentum going into the playoffs," the sixth-year Seattle coach said Monday, a day after his Seahawks earned an NFC wild-card berth with a 24-21 victory over the Arizona Cardinals at home.

That means Holmgren will do everything he can to beat the Atlanta Falcons in Seattle's regular-season finale on Sunday at Qwest Field.

"We're going to approach this last game the way we approach every game," he said. "I don't think I'm going to do anything differently."

Sunday's game became even more important to the Seahawks when the St. Louis Rams stayed in contention for the NFC West title Monday night with a victory over the Philadelphia Eagles.

A Rams' loss would have given the Seahawks the division championship.

The Seahawks can still win the NFC West with a win over Atlanta or a loss by the Rams to the New York Jets Sunday.

At stake for the Seahawks is a home playoff game Jan. 8 or Jan. 9 against Minnesota, Carolina or New Orleans.

"Our fans deserve it," Holmgren said. "The homefield in the playoffs is very, very important. There's a reason they call it homefield advantage."

The Seahawks know all tough it is to win playoff games on the road. They lost in Green Bay 33-27 last Jan. 4 when Al Harris ran back an intercepted pass thrown by Hasselbeck for a touchdown in overtime.

"We know how difficult it is to go and play on the road, especially last year when we went to Green Bay," Hasselbeck said. "If that same game is played at home for us, maybe we get the win. Sometimes you're looking for an advantage and any real edge you can get."

With an 8-7 record, the Seahawks have had a disappointing season after being tabbed before the season as one of the favorites to go to the Super Bowl. They almost blew a 17-point lead against the Cardinals, but survived with backup Trent Dilfer at quarterback in place of Hasselbeck.

They blew leads in an overtime loss to St. Louis Oct. 10 and Dallas Dec. 6, both in Seattle.

Holmgren admitted it was a relief to make the playoffs, but he isn't conceding anything to any of the favored teams.

"We're not done yet," he said. "This is the first step."

Holmgren anticipates Hasselbeck, who was injured in Seattle's road loss to the New York Jets, to be able to practice Wednesday for the Atlanta game.

Hasselbeck said he definitely would play against the Falcons.

"I really think so," he said. "This is the best I've ever felt on a Monday. It's kind of nice. Sitting and watching is no fun. You've got to be playing."

Holmgren also expects to have three starters back who were injured in the Arizona game; five-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Walter Jones, fullback Mack Strong and strong safety Michael Boulware.

Jones left in the third quarter with a left ankle injury and did not return. Strong bruised a thigh in the first quarter and did not return. Boulware, a rookie, sprained a foot in the fourth quarter and did not come back.

Seattle's Shaun Alexander has a chance to win the NFL rushing title Sunday, a first for the 29-year franchise.

Going into the Atlanta game, Alexander leads the league with 1,616 yards on 334 carries. Indianapolis' Edgerrin James is seconbd with 1,550 yards on 333 carries.

Alexander, who broke Chris Warren's 1994 franchise record of 1,545 rushing yards against the Cardinals, can become a free agent after this season if the Seahawks don't make him their franchise player or re-sign him.

Alexander said he's not going to try to cash in on an NFL rushing title.

"I don't think it matters," the fifth-year running back from Alabama said. "People have already seen what I can do. People already knew that before the season began."

The Seahawks haven't won a playoff game since since Dec. 22, 1984, in the Kingdome when they beat the Los Angeles Raiders 13-7 in an AFC wild-card game. They're 0-5 since then.

Sky is accurate as always. Seattle has a lot riding on this week, with a home playoff game and their best chance to advance in the balance.

Holmgren has stressed repeatedly this week that it is of the utmost importance for the Hawks to build confidence & momentum going into the playoffs, especially with some tough losses in recent weeks. Plus SA still has some record padding to do on the home field.

You will see plenty of Alexander. So start him. I know I will.

Sky is accurate as always. Seattle has a lot riding on this week, with a home playoff game and their best chance to advance in the balance.

Holmgren has stressed repeatedly this week that it is of the utmost importance for the Hawks to build confidence & momentum going into the playoffs, especially with some tough losses in recent weeks. Plus SA still has some record padding to do on the home field. 

You will see plenty of Alexander. So start him. I know I will.

634966[/snapback]

Thanks, guys. This info helped me out. Unfortunatley, I'm gonna be on a plane during the Rams' game. So I'll have no opportunity to change my line up pending the outcome. Obviously I'm grinding my teeth over Alexander's playing time.

Thanks for the info guys. I am starting him I just wasn't sure what I was going to get in playing time. I also have McNabb, but benched him last week for J. McCown will do the same this week also. Good luck to all week 17 SB participants. :D

Alex is the key to my championship hopes this weekend too. These week 17 championship games aren't for the faint of heart thats for sure. I have to have my lineup in by kickoff of the early games and at the moment I plan to start Alex but I will probably change my mind several times between now and kickoff. :D

Alex is the key to my championship hopes this weekend too. These week 17 championship games aren't for the faint of heart thats for sure. I have to have my lineup in by kickoff of the early games and at the moment I plan to start Alex but I will probably change my mind several times between now and kickoff. :D

635720[/snapback]

If SA is the key to your weekend, Keep in mind that Alexander currently leads the league in rushing. The Seahawks have never in team history had the NFL's leading rusher for the season. This has been mentioned in the media this week, so the Hawks are aware of it. If this goal is in reach it's my opinion that Holmgren will allow Alexander to go for it.

See link:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/205626_hawk29.html

In my local, we have to have our lineups set before the 10 a.m. games (west coast). Therefore your decision sets squarely on the Rams game. Personally, I think the Jets will pound the Rams into ground, in which case you will see at the most 2 drives out of the first units for the Seahawks. Holmgren can talk all he wants to about building momentum, but if one of his boys gets hurt when there is no reason to have him in there, a coach who is already very close to the unemployment line may get nudged over the edge. Knowing this team, that is the exact thing that will probably happen.

Well, I'm hoping the Jets pound the Rams into the ground, using CuMar because I am going to use him this week. If they decide that Alexander is within reach of the rushing title, hopefully that only means 50 to 75 yards for him to get the rushing title...yes, I am playing against Alexander this week.

Of course, against ATL this week, Alexander will probably do a lot of damage against ATL on the ground for however long he is in there.

In my local, we have to have our lineups set before the 10 a.m. games (west coast).  Therefore your decision sets squarely on the Rams game.  Personally, I think the Jets will pound the Rams into ground, in which case you will see at the most 2 drives out of the first units for the Seahawks.  Holmgren can talk all he wants to about building momentum, but if one of his boys gets hurt when there is no reason to have him in there, a coach who is already very close to the unemployment line may get nudged over the edge.  Knowing this team, that is the exact thing that will probably happen.

636000[/snapback]

So you're saying Holmgren will sit his starters because he's concerned about his JOB SECURITY? :D Sorry 21, I don't buy it. This is Holmgren we're talking about. He's secure enough in his coaching to do all kinds of squirrelly stuff on game day, but that reasoning doesn't even enter his mind. To have the NFL's leading rusher is a big feather in the cap of the entire organization. Additionally, even if the Hawks are ahead, how many times this season have you seen 14, 21 pts scored against them in a matter of minutes? With this team, no lead is safe. They will need to play ball control, & that means running Alexander. He may pull him 4th quarter, but either way Alexander will play enough to make him a worthwhile start.

added: Quote from Holmgren @ yesterdays press conference:

"Teams make the mistake, though, a big mistake, if anyone thinks that a team because they have something sowed up, is going to come in and just go through the motions, now that's a problem. You can't think that way."

And I say this in full knowledge of the fact that you've proven me wrong once before, 21. :D

Edited by Bonehand

Bone I'm intrigued! When did I prove you wrong once before??

back to the stated topic. ummm, if St. Louis loses, and it doesn't matter at all in the seedings if the Seahawks win 25-0 or lose 35-0, I just can't see the starters playing very long. It is too important to be healthy for the playoffs, especially the way things have gone this season. I think it's more likely that Holmgren will try to pop Shaun early and get him some yards and get him out as quickly as possible. Anything more than that and I'll be sweatin in my britches. I know the whole job security thing sounds far fetched but if Darrell Jackson were to sprain an ankle in the third quarter and can't play in the playoffs and we just get killed, Holmgren will be coaching the Rams next year.

agree 100% with seahawks-and i have alexander as my main back!!!!

that being said i may be benching him this week for pittman-because i cannot see them playing him for any signifcant time if they alreay have their playoff spot sown up. now if the rams lose, its a completely different story-i can change rosters right up until game time so i will be watching the rams/jets game very closely.

I think everybody is being too optimistic over Shaun. Holmgren has no problem sitting his stars down. He has taken Alexander out of games they are winning during the 4th quarter - he doesn't mind playing Morris, who is a decent back.

The only game this season the Hawks "had in the bag" (I use that term loosely with the Hawks) was their first game vs. the 49ers. Alexander only got half the carries in that game: Game Stats ...although, he still managed three touchdowns!

No way I see Holmgren risk losing his star offensive player if they have the Division title wrapped up ~ especially with how sucky he has coached this season (he knows he hasn't done well with his talent). If the Jets win, which they definitely should, I say Morris and Strong get the load the entire second half. With the Falcons playing their starters in the beginning, Shaun gets 50-60 yards and a TD in one half: very mediocre day.

This is a tough call though.

Edited by Gak Attack

Starters still in....

639697[/snapback]

Since Martin had 153 yards rushing, Alexander now only needs 19 yards (the live stats say he is at 63 yards rushing as I type this) to re-capture the rushing title. He is definitely within sight of that...if Holmgren keeps playing him.