[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The future of Joey Harrington...

Puddy

The Lions brass decided to let Joey finish out the season a few weeks ago. I still can not get a feel for if he will be good, average or run out of town (many fans wanted that to happen already). It appears he'll be back next year and Mcmahon will not. I'm curious as to how other Lions fans (Policy, Egret, Furd, etc.) about his chances for success next year. And what will Mariucci do with the position in the preseason?

As bad as Harrington has been at times, I can't help but expect success next year with Roy Williams a year smarter, the emergence of Kevin Jones and IF Charles Rogers stays healthy (they did sign him to a 6-year extension).

Will the Lions bring in a veteran (i.e. Kitna) to flat out compete for the starting spot during the preseason, or will Joey inherit the starting gig and have to lose it?

I, for one, want an open competition with whoever is on the roster.

I am curious about that as well. I watched him today against the Titans, who had 3 out of 11 defensive starters playing including only 1 starting db, and Joey was pretty average. He should have torched a patchwork Titan defense. I think he will get another year unless they bring in a veteran to compete for the job...

Harrington, at best, will be an average NFL QB. He has gotten a pass every year since he's been here. Not his fault he sucks - no running game. Not his fault he sucks - no receivers. Boy, if Charles Rogers didn't go down and Roy Williams was 100%, then he'd be something. Other QBs have to deal with this stuff, but not Joey. (Why he didn't change it to Joe I'll never know. Joey Namath? )

The Lions haven't felt the need to bring someone in to compete for the job. I think that its because Harrington was the 3rd pick in the draft and they don't want admit that it was a mistake. McMahon isn't the answer.

Although I'm no Lions insider, I don't think Harrington is respected as a leader by his teammates. I don't think that Mariucci is sold on him either.

I'd like to see them bring someone in to compete for the job. I think that they bring in a veteran next year. Whether or not there's an open competition remains to be seen.

Didn't he pass for 330 and 2 TDs today with 1 int? That's not too shabby. Sure, there were plays that could've been made. I don't think people in Detroit will be satisfied until the QB walks on water or wins a SuperBowl... whichever comes first. This is nonsense to think that a QB will come in and make every single play. It's not going to happen.

Who's going to come in and play better? I don't see any teams letting go of any QBs that are better than Harrington. He'll be the Lions QB at the beginning of next season. They'll bring in a "backup" QB who will challenge for some playing time. If Cleveland cuts ties with Garcia, he's a real possibility. The Lions won't trade for Brees (assuming San Diego uses the franchise tag). Anyone else out there?

I guess the Lions will have to settle for a QB who puts up 300 yards, 2 TDs with a pick. :oldrolleyes:

This was the same Titans' defense that gave up five touchdowns to Kerry Collins a few weeks back. They should bring in someone to compete. I have a feeling that McMahon is like Joey's little brother. No matter how much better he looks, he is not going to start until his brother graduates. (but McMahon will be gone before then). Joey should stick to tickling the ivories!!

If Detroit wasn't a "west coast" team, it would work.  Maybe Mooch would open up the playbook a bit with him.

639988[/snapback]

With two receivers like Rogers and Williams, and now a decent running threat, I don't see why Detroit has to be a "West Coast" team. Given a better O-line, they could rack up some serious points.

They signed Charles Rogers to a six year extension?  I thought that it was Shaun Rogers.

639958[/snapback]

:doah: Next time I'll click on the headline to see which Rogers it was (but I am ecstatic it's Shaun, he's a very bad man.)

I guess the Lions will have to settle for a QB who puts up 300 yards, 2 TDs with a pick.

639955[/snapback]

Let's not act like that's what he puts up game in and game out...Eric Hipple threw for 400 yards once, didn't make him a long term answer.

I guess the Lions will have to settle for a QB who puts up 300 yards, 2 TDs with a pick.  :oldrolleyes:

639955[/snapback]

Right. Against the mighty TEN defense.

For the year:

2 games with more than 300 yards passing. (MIN and TEN) 2 of the last 3 games, so, although against horrible defenses, that's somewhat encouraging.

11 games with less than 200 yards passing (2 of those less than 100 yards)

3 games between 200 and 300 yards

For the year:

Year G Cmp Att Pct Yds Yds/Att TD Int 1st Sck Rtg

2004 16 274 489 56.0 3047 6.2 19 12 138 36 77.5

He has improved each year, which is good. However, this represents his best season.

Not exactly awe inspiring numbers for a third year QB, particularly one who does not have his teammate's confidence.

Why do you suppose the organization has toyed with the idea of benching Harrington for that stiff McMahon?

Hairball sucks no matter how it's stated. He cannot get us the winning field goal or td when we need it. Everyone was kicking GreenBays ass early, 1-4, come into our house, made thier d look great. Same thing next opponent, Dallas 2-4, getting stomped by everyone but us. Next opponent Washington, before their D jelled, we lose. All three of them teams were *** til we played em, coincidence? not likely.

I hope Kitna comes in, or even much as kills me to say, Warner. Time for Detroit to admit drafted a loser qb once again, and dump his sorry ass in the river. Too bad they wasted their chance with McMahon, I still think he would have done a helluva alot better than Hairball, but then again, so could Detmer's , Dilfer...........