[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parcells out; Tice, Martz, Holmgren In ...

Donutrun Jellies

Many of us have spent a season mocking the coaching of Martz, Tice, and Holmgren.  All three made the playoffs.

Parcells, did not.  Wonder how that makes him feel?  :D

When does he finally get the mockery that the other three have suffered?

639939[/snapback]

Shanahan received a lot of hammer, and he made the playoffs too.

As for Bill - he needs to make his way to Testaverdes Anonymous quick.

Shanahan received a lot of hammer, and he made the playoffs too.

As for Bill - he needs to make his way to Testaverdes Anonymous quick.

639946[/snapback]

I think Shanny takes the hammer because he messes with our fantasy teams more than any concern about his actual coaching ability, but you're right ...

How can you lump Parcells in with Tice & Martz. Holmgren is even a better coach than either Tice or Martz but Parcells is head & shoulders better than those 2 idiots.

I wish he would have went with Romo tonight myself instead of Vinny but somehow I doubt that Vinnny going 23 of 30 for 231 and a TD hs anything to do with why Dallas lost tonight.

Tice takes C-pep, Moss, Burleson, Bennett, Moore, Smith & Wiggins on offense and can only come up with an 8-8 record and barely backs into the playoffs.

Martz takes Bulger, Holt, Bruce, Faulk and Jackson on offense and only gets to 8-8 and also barely makes it into the playoffs.

At least Holmgren got a Division Title and a winning record at 9-7.

But Parcells took a team with a ton of injuries on offense and defense, a couple of ancient players at QB & RB, and a handful of Practice Squad WR's and barely misses a 7-9 record when they lost on a last second TD tonight. And even at 6-10 his odd squad of players were only two games behind Tice & Martz's teams of Pro Bowl headed players.

Granted the Cowboys took a step backward this year when you look at their record from last year but I honestly don't believe their are more than 2-3 other Coaches that could have gotten this team to 6-10 if faced with all of the injuries to key players.

Edited by Jrick35

Sure, on paper, going from 10-6 to 6-10 is a step back but before we crucify Parcells for the Boys finish this year we need to examine one thought...

Didn't most here at the Huddle agree that he had them overachieving last year? If that is in fact the case, and I believe it is, then 6-10 shouldn't be a big surprise.

Sure, on paper, going from 10-6 to 6-10 is a step back but before we crucify Parcells for the Boys finish this year we need to examine one thought...

Didn't most here at the Huddle agree that he had them overachieving last year?  If that is in fact the case, and I believe it is, then 6-10 shouldn't be a big surprise.

640089[/snapback]

Exactly, plus consider the fact that they had a new QB (Vinny) and 2 new RBs (the primary one missed about 10 games I think) and a new #1 WR (Keyshawn), lost their #2 WR to injury (Terry Glenn), and also had a new #3 WR part of the year (Quincy Morgan). That's an awful lot of new skill players at all the major positions...it's very hard to overcome that much turnover in one season. When you combine that with the fact that their defense took a huge step backwards this year, I think their record is no big surprise.

I have to agree with the original poster on this one. Parcells has y'all lined up to carry his jock strap.

But Parcells took a team with ... a couple of ancient players at QB &  RB

I'm sorry, but I believe Parcells chose this team, and Parcells chose those players. Believe it or not, he did the grocery shopping this time. It's widely publicized how Parcells loves his veterans. So, don't wave his jock strap around saying "Poor Parcells for the hand he was dealt" -- he was dealing!

Granted the Cowboys took a step backward this year when you look at their record from last year but I honestly don't believe their are more than 2-3 other Coaches that could have gotten this team to 6-10 if faced with all of the injuries to key players.

640078[/snapback]

Can you say John Fox? More injuries, deeper into the depth chart, and he was 7-9.

Didn't most here at the Huddle agree that he had them overachieving last year?  If that is in fact the case, and I believe it is, then 6-10 shouldn't be a big surprise.

640089[/snapback]

Actually, I seem to remember that most here at the Huddle agreed that the Cowboys had an easy schedule in 2003.

I'm sorry, but I believe Parcells chose this team, and Parcells chose those players.  Believe it or not, he did the grocery shopping this time.  It's widely publicized how Parcells loves his veterans.

640153[/snapback]

True, but Parcells also chose Julius Jones, who I think all would agree is a very nice RB indeed.

I do not think Parcells chose for Julius Jones to break his shoulder blade and thus force Parcells into starting Eddie George at RB far longer than he intended.

I do not think Parcells chose for Terry Glenn to break his ankle.

I do no think Parcells chose for Q. Carter to do coke in the off season.

I do not think Parcells chose for Antonio Bryant to throw an immature hissy fit, forcing a trade mid season for another WR (Q. Morgan).

I do not think Parcells chose for his starting RCB Pete Hunter 6'2" 208 lbs to go on IR and have to start rookie RCB Frazier Lance 5'10" 183lbs instead.

I do not think Parcells chose for his All Pro LCB Terence Newman to regress this year.

I do not think Parcells chose to have an undersized speed defense (which he is slowly but surely rectifying).

Personally, I give Parcells a Mulligan for this year.

Unlike some teams, the Cowboys have been building this team for the future. Instead of buying a bunch of high priced vets to make a SB run now, they have elected to go a different route. I don't think anyone had high expectations for them this year. Sure, the playoffs again woulda been nice, but there were too many injuries to overcome.

Give Bill what those other three have for players, and he easily makes the playoffs. I don't think anyone can question that.

I'm sorry, but I believe Parcells chose this team, and Parcells chose those players. Believe it or not, he did the grocery shopping this time. It's widely publicized how Parcells loves his veterans. So, don't wave his jock strap around saying "Poor Parcells for the hand he was dealt" -- he was dealing!

Oh my God, excuse me for mis-typing. When I typed "took" I was implying that he "took" the team through the season. If I meant that he had been stuck with the players he had I would have said he "took over" a team. I am well aware that Bill chose the players that he has. And I don't think I ever called him Poor Parcells.

I was simply trying to point out that he is a better coach than Tice or Martz. And I think that is a hard point to dispute.

True, but Parcells also chose Julius Jones, who I think all would agree is a very nice RB indeed.

I do not think Parcells chose for Julius Jones to break his shoulder blade and thus force Parcells into starting Eddie George at RB far longer than he intended.

I do not think Parcells chose for Terry Glenn to break his ankle.

I do no think Parcells chose for Q. Carter to do coke in the off season.

I do not think Parcells chose for Antonio Bryant to throw an immature hissy fit, forcing a trade mid season for another WR (Q. Morgan).

I do not think Parcells chose for his starting RCB Pete Hunter 6'2" 208 lbs to go on IR and have to start rookie RCB Frazier Lance 5'10" 183lbs instead.

I do not think Parcells chose for his All Pro LCB Terence Newman to regress this year.

I do not think Parcells chose to have an undersized speed defense (which he is slowly but surely rectifying).

Personally, I give Parcells a Mulligan for this year.

640182[/snapback]

Nice post Big. :D

Unlike some teams, the Cowboys have been building this team for the future. Instead of buying a bunch of high priced vets to make a SB run now, they have elected to go a different route. I don't think anyone had high expectations for them this year. Sure, the playoffs again woulda been nice, but there were too many injuries to overcome.

Give Bill what those other three have for players, and he easily makes the playoffs. I don't think anyone can question that.

640184[/snapback]

Exactly. And he wouldn't have had to back in or win in OT in week 17 to get to the playoffs either. He would have been much more competitive than any of those coaches were.

How can you lump Parcells in with Tice & Martz. Holmgren is even a better coach than either Tice or Martz but Parcells is head & shoulders better than those 2 idiots.

I wish he would have went with Romo tonight myself instead of Vinny but somehow I doubt that Vinnny going 23 of 30 for 231 and a TD hs anything to do with why Dallas lost tonight.

Tice takes C-pep, Moss, Burleson, Bennett, Moore, Smith & Wiggins on offense and can only come up with an 8-8 record and barely backs into the playoffs.

Martz takes Bulger, Holt, Bruce, Faulk and Jackson on offense and only gets to 8-8 and also barely makes it into the playoffs.

At least Holmgren got a Division Title and a winning record at 9-7.

But Parcells took a team with a ton of injuries on offense and defense, a couple of ancient players at QB &  RB, and a handful of Practice Squad WR's and barely misses a 7-9 record when they lost on a last second TD tonight. And even at 6-10 his odd squad of players were only two games behind Tice & Martz's teams of Pro Bowl headed players.

640078[/snapback]

Well said! My sentiments exactly. :D

I have to agree with the original poster on this one.  Parcells has y'all lined up to carry his jock strap.

I'm sorry, but I believe Parcells chose this team, and Parcells chose those players.  Believe it or not, he did the grocery shopping this time.  It's widely publicized how Parcells loves his veterans.  So, don't wave his jock strap around saying "Poor Parcells for the hand he was dealt" -- he was dealing!

Can you say John Fox?  More injuries, deeper into the depth chart, and he was 7-9.

640153[/snapback]

Which is exactly 1 win more than Parcells had. And the Cowboys came within 1 minute of getting to 7-9 themselves last night. And, as great as I think John Fox did this year, he was starting with a core group of players that went to the Super Bowl last year. Bill was still working with a group of over-achievers from a year ago.

I think both coaches did great jobs this year. Although if forced to choose I would give Fox the nod as being a little better this year just because he kept that whole team from giving up after starting 1-7. But both coaches did well with what they had to deal with this year.