[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions to cut Joey Harrington? If so...

Skrappy1

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, cap-wise, for the Lions to release him. If I'm not mistaken, cutting him would accelerate about 3 million dollars towards the cap immediatly. The Lions don't have a proven back-up and unless they sign a proven vet (not sure who will be available and who won't) they run the risk of stunting any of the progress they have made in the past two years.

Statistically, Harrington may have had his best season. However, thanks to the NFL SundayTicket on DirecTV, I was able to watch him kill many drives with his weak throws into the dirt. Most of his TDs and yards came in catch-up time. After three years he still has that deer-caught-in-the-headlights look.

I'll bet ya Roy Williams wouldn't mind having another qb throwing him the ball.

He has only been in the NFL for 3 years, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time a team gave up on a guy way too early...didn't the Rams give up on Jerome Bettis and the Ravens give up on Priest Holmes?  :D

651755[/snapback]

Didn't Favre play for Atlanta at one time?

Well on the one hand if Mariucci has decided that he can't make an NFL QB out of I have to believe your chances of success on another team are pretty slim. On the other hand it could be a case of the Lions deciding that he's no better a prospect than McMahon and they could save some significant cash at the same time (not sure of the cap implications).

I have mixed feelings about the idea of him coming to Dallas. He hasn't really shown anything more than potential in Detroit ... although he has lost most of his primary weapons (Rogers and Williams) for most of the last 2 seasons. In addition I am not sure Dallas has the WRs to support any QB right now.

Having said all that I would welcome him over Testy, Romo and Henson. However, if they brought him in they would have to give him the job, IMO. It would do no good to bring him in and sit him on the sidelines while Testy or Henson or Romo starts.

He has only been in the NFL for 3 years, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time a team gave up on a guy way too early...didn't the Rams give up on Jerome Bettis and the Ravens give up on Priest Holmes?  :D

651755[/snapback]

Add Brees to that list. He's looked terrible in previous years, but with the right people around him......

That's actually a good point, and a source of amusement all in one. I mean, if the Lions give up on you, you know things are bad. I mean, how high were there expectations to begin with? Who are they comparing him to? It's not like the shoes he's trying to fill are very large. :D

651761[/snapback]

Yea, but it's the Lions. Even Montana would of looked bad if he played for the Lions.

I think Harrington would be a better backup then Romo (how long has this guy been around, and still hasn't broken into the damm lineup) or Henson, who may be heading for Europe.