[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions to cut Joey Harrington? If so...

Skrappy1

Harrington is due to make a $3 million roster bonus in late February, and the word is that the Lions plan to cut him. I haven't seen him play that much, but from what I have seen he hasn't been that bad. He's still only been in the league for 3 years and has showed some improvement this season, despite Detroit being without their #1 RB and #1 and #2 WRs for parts of the season (Rogers missed almost all of the season again).

My question to Grits and all the others that are always wondering about who Dallas could get at QB, do you guys think the Cowboys would go after Harrington? What would you guys think about it if they did? I'm not a Cowboy fan, but I think that would be a decent move if they are unable to land another legitimate starter like McNair or Hasselbeck.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the other post below...I did look before I posted, but I guess I didn't look down far enough.

Edit again: Here's a link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3317286

Lions may release QB before bonus kicks in

Story Tools:    Print    Email   

FOXSports.com

Posted: 21 minutes ago   

Joey Harrington's career as a Detroit Lion could be ending sooner than expected, according to a Booth Newspapers report.

Sources close to the situation say Detroit is pondering whether or not to release the quarterback in late February, before he is due to receive a $3 million roster bonus.

Harrington is also scheduled to make almost $5 million with the Lions for the 2005 season in addition to the scheduled bonus.

Harrington's status in the Detroit franchise has been a subject of great debate. Detroit president Matt Millen would like to bring Harrington back, but the team's offensive coaches reportedly would like to go in another direction.

"That decision hasn't been made yet," said a Detroit source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "We're looking at all the options."

Former offensive coordinator Sherman Lewis, who was forced out of his position after the regular season ended, wrote letters to owner William Clay Ford and Millen, among others, saying that the Lions would never win with Harrington at quarterback.

The Lions staff is expected to meet several times in the next few weeks to discuss Harrington's future. Although money will be an issue, it should not be the deciding factor one way or the other.

One factor in the decision will be what other options the Lions would have. Mike McMahon, the backup last season, doesn't appear to be in the running for the 2005 spot.

After 44 career starts and three years, Harrington hasn't lived up to the billing of being the third overall pick in the 2002 draft.

As the Lions continue to debate the future of Harrington, one thing appears certain. If Harrington returns, he will not have his contract restructured. Harrington has offered to get his deal re-done but the Lions aren't interested.

If Harrington were to play the 2005 season with Detroit, his salary cap number would be just under $10 million. The Lions can absorb that for this year and also make it easier for them to release Harrington next season (for a cap hit of less than $4 million).

If the Lions were to restructure Harrington's deal, however, and then want to cut him next year, the cap hit would be closer to $8 million.

Edited by Skrappy1

If one team has already given up on him, believing that he is incapable of making a team a playoff contender, much less a Super Bowl hopeful, what is the point in another team picking him up to be their savior?

The Cowboys have enough projects on their roster which will require a couple of years of grooming before it can be determined if they're players or busts. Unless Bill or Jerry believe that the Lion's are idiots in their accessment of Harrington and his skills, they should steer clear. The 'boys need a surefire solution at QB, not another tweener prospect to throw into the mix.

Edited by General Itals

If one team has already given up on him, believing that he is incapable of making a team a playoff contender, much less a Super Bowl hopeful, what is the point in another team picking him up to be their savior? 

651747[/snapback]

He has only been in the NFL for 3 years, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time a team gave up on a guy way too early...didn't the Rams give up on Jerome Bettis and the Ravens give up on Priest Holmes? :D

651747[/snapback]

That's actually a good point, and a source of amusement all in one. I mean, if the Lions give up on you, you know things are bad. I mean, how high were there expectations to begin with? Who are they comparing him to? It's not like the shoes he's trying to fill are very large. :D

Now that I think about it, if you want a very recent example of a QB in a similar situation, just look at Drew Brees. Harrington's season last year (his 3rd) was better than any season Drew Brees ever had prior to this year (this was Brees's 4th season).

San Diego had obvioulsy given up on Brees as they drafted Eli #1, and then traded him for Rivers. Had Rivers not held-out of training camp this year, he likely would have been given the starting gig in San Diego and Brees would never have had his breakout season this year.

Edited by Skrappy1

I'm not saying that Harrington is not an option for Dallas. All I'm saying is that they need to make a determination about whether he is capable of being THE guy. Now. Before they would consider signing and playing him. The Cowboys don't need to sign him if they only have him compete with Henson and Romo as the heir apparent. If Harrington would sign a two year deal for $3 mil. and little signing bonus and be handed the starting job as Testeverde is taken to the retirement home, I wouldn't have much of a problem with that. If Harrington shows anything his first year, keep him, if not, sayanora.

At first when I heard this, I thought that the Lion's would be idiots to give up on him now, bonus issues or no bonus issues. He's shown some potential, he's going into his fourth year which means he should be pretty mature, and he would be going into the season with healthy offensive weapons in Jones, Williams and Rodgers. Sounds like a recipe for success to me if they stay healthy and Harrington has the talent. However, learning that his only supporter in the organization is Matt Millen, I am beginning to think that the rest of the Lion's brain trust is probably right. Harrington is a stiff.

And since Brees had such a breakout year, why wouldn't the Cowboys just go after him?

Edited by General Itals

Joey Harrington has been part of an absolutely pitiful Detroit offense. I am a bit of a closet lions fan, and from what I have seen the guy spends more time trying not to get killed and trying to toss the ball to perennial loser WRs than he does actually getting to play QB.

He has looked like a better option than they currently have in Chi, Dall, Az, SF, DETROIT, Mia, possibly Buffalo, Cle, and Possibly Washington

I'm not saying that Harrington is not an option for Dallas.  All I'm saying is that they need to make a determination about whether he is capable of being THE guy.  Now.  Before they would consider signing and playing him.  The Cowboys don't need to sign him if they only have him compete with Henson and Romo as the heir apparent.  If Harrington would sign a two year deal for $3 mil. and little signing bonus and be handed the starting job as Testeverde is taken to the retirement home, I wouldn't have much of a problem with that.  If Harrington shows anything his first year, keep him, if not, sayanora.

At first when I heard this, I thought that the Lion's would be idiots to give up on him now, bonus issues or no bonus issues.  He's shown some potential, he's going into his fourth year which means he should be pretty mature, and he would be going into the season with healthy offensive weapons in Jones, Williams and Rodgers.  Sounds like a recipe for success to me if they stay healthy and Harrington has the talent.  However, learning that his only supporter in the organization is Matt Millen, I am beginning to think that the rest of the Lion's brantrust is probably right.  Harringtron is a stiff. 

And since Brees had such a breakout year, why wouldn't the Cowboys just go after him?

651798[/snapback]

Good points, and again, I haven't seen enough of him to say that I think he is the answer, I just think he could be an option as he has shown some potential for a young guy when I have seen him. I also agree with you that this year could be a good year for him in Detroit if he continues to progress and his surrounding cast can remain healthy, but it looks like we'll never know if we are right there if they end up cutting him.

As far as Brees, I think that the Cowboys may very well go after him if he bolts San Diego (no pun intended), but from what I hear the Chargers are likely to slap a franchise tag on him this year...if not, certainly he is a viable option.

The Lions also gave up on some guy named Reuben Droughns. Wonder how he's doing these days.  :D

651795[/snapback]

Every running back who's played for Denver over the last decade looks like the second coming of Jim Brown. Olandis Gary was great there too, and the Lions decided to try him. Wonder how he's doing..?

Every running back who's played for Denver over the last decade looks like the second coming of Jim Brown.  Olandis Gary was great there too, and the Lions decided to try him.  Wonder how he's doing..?

651811[/snapback]

That's right, put a guy in a different situation and he will perform accordingly. Harrington isn't getting it done for the Lions, but for the right team, who knows.

He has looked like a better option than they currently have in Chi, Dall, Az, SF, DETROIT, Mia, possibly Buffalo, Cle, and Possibly Washington

651807[/snapback]

Absolutely. I'd take Buff out of the mix with Losman as the future and I think Chi is committed to Grossman, but the rest I can see ... I think Dallas should grab him.

The Lions have already issued a vehement denial of this, which of course is probably because they prepared the leak and the denial simultaneously. :D

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/

What this is is sending signals, both to Joey and the fans. First, they're letting Joey know that he'll have to restructure his contract. Second, they're letting him know that he better bring it, or they're cutting him next year. Third, they're letting the fans (the anti-Joey fans especially) know that they realize Joey hasn't yet earned his keep.

The fact is that if they cut Harrington, he'll be the best combination of youth, skill, and upside available. This is not because Harrington is so great but because the pool is so shallow. Warner, Garcia . . . these guys are not starters, and certianly not solutions. Sticking with Harrington is the best option from both a football and financial standpoint.

Peace

policy

Absolutely.  I'd take Buff out of the mix with Losman as the future and I think Chi is committed to Grossman, but the rest I can see ... I think Dallas should grab him.

651929[/snapback]

IMHO Harrington has the advantage over Losman (who absolutely sucked in his few snaps this year), and Grossman has done nothing except get injured.

Those players might be better than Harrington, but I'm not sold. Then again, I'm not sure I'd bench Bledsoe for Harrington while Losman tries to develop either. Grossman I would almost certainly sit, btu in Chi he'd find the exact type of loserdom he has around him in Detroit.

I'd really like to see him in Az, Wash, or Dallas to see what he can accomplish. What a nice offensive setup Az would be.

First, they're letting Joey know that he'll have to restructure his contract. 

651937[/snapback]

Policy, I thought the restructure was out of the question because of the cap hit they would take.... that was mentioned in the article above I believe... has there been a change?

I had high hopes for Charlie Batch at one time as well  :D

651824[/snapback]

Hey Caveman, speaking of young Lions who once looked promising, what the heck ever happened to Germane Crowell? I know he had some injuries after that big year, but I never thought they were anything career threating, is he out of the league for good now or what?

Policy, I thought the restructure was out of the question because of the cap hit they would take.... that was mentioned in the article above I believe... has there been a change?

651946[/snapback]

From what I understood, with the roster bonus, they wanted to restructure to massage the cap a little, and make it easier to cut him NEXT year. His rookie contract wasn't a four-year deal, you know. Maybe these guys know something I don't, but if Harrington doesn't take a stepforward last year, they're not going to want to eat the cap hit on his fifth and sixth year, that's for sure.

Peace

policy

Hey Caveman, speaking of young Lions who once looked promising, what the heck ever happened to Germane Crowell?  I know he had some injuries after that big year, but I never thought they were anything career threating, is he out of the league for good now or what?

652000[/snapback]

Basically, he had a big string of injuries that robbed him of speed, jumping ability, etc. He was in camp with the Saints this year, but I don't know if he even made the active roster.

Peace

policy

Here's the Lions' denial:

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_displ...ument_id=399541

652140[/snapback]

I listened to an interview with the reporter on the way home from work today. He reiterated that the discussions have taken place but would not be surprised if they kept him. He also screwed up the date in the article. I guess June 1 is more salary cap friendly if they did decide to cut him. He was really defensive in the interview, but mentioned that his sources are solid, blah, blah...