[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you were an owner an NFL team

masslefty33

Belichick, Cohwers and Fox would top my list

Wannstadt and  Butch Davis would be at the bottom.

Martz, Tice and Edwards all got their teams to the playoffs ... all of them even won a playoff game on the road ... they aren't near the bottom of the list.

658295[/snapback]

Personally, I think Cowher is seriously overrated.

658302[/snapback]

Hard to argue with his results ... a couple of years ago, at the end of the slash experiment I thought it was time for him to move on ... but he gets his team to the playoffs year in and year out ... he's never been able to finish the job though, I'll give you that.

Martz, Tice and Edwards all got their teams to the playoffs ... all of them even won a playoff game on the road ... they aren't near the bottom of the list.

658295[/snapback]

Then you must not have watched many Jets, Vikes or Rams games. Horrible play calling, terrible clock management, bad decisions, no discipline, etc. Those 3 are on very top of my list, with Tice being the leader of the stooopid.

658302[/snapback]

Cowher has been an extremly successful coach. What is up with you Squeeg.... :D

The only thing keeping Cowher from that top echelon is that he hasn't won the big one yet. Hopefully that changes this year. He has his team playing in their 5th AFC Championship game in the last 9 years and has been to one Super Bowl. Those things don't happen by accident.

Best

1. Belichick

2. Fox - What he did with the injury ravaged panthers was amazing.

3. Mariucci

4. Reid - I don't think he gets credit for the personnel moves he makes.

5. Cowher

Worst

1. Erickson - He's gone, but the guy's a loser

2. Martz - He inherited talent, but he's an arrogant dipsh*t

3. Tice

4. Green - He blew it with the McCown benching

5. Dungy- He's overrated, Tom Moore should get the credit for their success.

Cowher has been an extremly successful coach.  What is up with you Squeeg....  :D 

The only thing keeping Cowher from that top echelon is that he hasn't won the big one yet.  Hopefully that changes this year.  He has his team playing in their 5th AFC Championship game in the last 9 years and has been to one Super Bowl.  Those things don't happen by accident.

658311[/snapback]

Menudu, Listen to me and listen to me good. I said this since 1999. The Steelers will never win a Super Bowl as long as Cowher and Kordell Stewart are on the team. So you half the way there. Cowher belongs with Marv Levy, and Mary Ball.

Ugly :D Tuna

Hard to argue with his results ... a couple of years ago, at the end of the slash experiment I thought it was time for him to move on ... but he gets his team to the playoffs year in and year out ... he's never been able to finish the job though, I'll give you that.

658308[/snapback]

He's an excellent motivator. Bad at Xs and Os and horrible with clock management. He suceeds or fails based on the quality of his coordinators.

Just look at the Steelers D - horrible last year, #1 in the league this year. Same head coach, mostly the same players - the difference is Dick LeBeau.

He's an excellent motivator.  Bad at Xs and Os and horrible with clock management.  He suceeds or fails based on the quality of his coordinators.

Just look at the Steelers D - horrible last year, #1 in the league this year.  Same head coach, mostly the same players - the difference is Dick LeBeau.

658319[/snapback]

IMO ... being a good HC is all about finding the right coordinators. You simply can not do it all. The HC's job is to bring it all together ... something Cowher has been very good at doing.

Then you must not have watched many Jets, Vikes or Rams games. Horrible play calling, terrible clock management, bad decisions, no discipline, etc. Those 3 are on very top of my list, with Tice being the leader of the stooopid.

658309[/snapback]

I know where you are coming from ... and to an extent I agree. Martz insists on throwing the ball and ignoring the ground game. The Vikings have collapsed every year about mid-season. And for those reasons those guys wouldn't be my first choices either. But through it all they have been successful and in my book that puts them above the bottom of the pack. I'm not sure what you mean about Edwards.

658302[/snapback]

I can't believe i just read this from Squeegie :eek: :bigshock: :D

So is he going to find a way to lose the game this weekend?

Oh my coach choices are:

1) Bill Belichick

2) John Fox

3) Andy Reid

4) Brian Billick

5) Jeff Fisher

Edited by Scrambled

I know where you are coming from ... and to an extent I agree.  Martz insists on throwing the ball and ignoring the ground game.  The Vikings have collapsed every year about mid-season.  And for those reasons those guys wouldn't be my first choices either.  But through it all they have been successful and in my book that puts them above the bottom of the pack.  I'm not sure what you mean about Edwards.

658327[/snapback]

See Blitz, here's the problem: Winning doesn't necessarily make a coach good. He may win because he has good players. For example, I think the Vikes would have done much better this season with a different head coach. Them getting to the playoffs wasn't a result of good coaching at all. Bad coaching is less about wins and losses, and more about good decisions, good motivation, good discipline, etc. Just because Tice and Martz and Edwards got them to the playoffs doesn't make them better coaches than Parcells. I know that's a bit extreme, but I think you get my point.

Also, Herm Edwards and his clock management this ENTIRE season was absolutely atrocious. His decision making alone cost them the Steelers game. Edwards is a good motivator but has a lot of other SERIOUS coaching deficiencies.

You have to like Bellichick.

Not only has he won two rings with the Pats, but he was undefeated in his tenure as head coach of the New York Jets. (Or, as he said in his resignation letter - "HC of NYJ".)

Then I'd go Parcells & Fox.

I can't believe i just read this from Squeegie  :eek:  :bigshock:  :D

So is he going to find a way to lose the game this weekend?

658367[/snapback]

I didn't say that. I think the Steelers will win a close one.

Nor did I say Cowher was a bad coach. Just that he is not up there with the best of the best.

I'm guilty of homerism, but not blind homerism.

Belichick, Cohwers and Fox would top my list

Wannstadt and  Butch Davis would be at the bottom.

658295[/snapback]

I can not stand Mike Martz and that goofy looking skirk he gets on his face. No matter what success the Rams had I do not attribute most of it to him. I like Tice and Edwards because they are players coaches, and those are the type of coahes I always enjoyed playing for (I guess that would be a given though, huh.) But Edwards seems to do a better job of handling his players and letting them though he is there for them, but he is still the coach. Tice doesn't have that IMO.

Best

1. Belichick

2. Fox - What he did with the injury ravaged panthers was amazing.

3. Mariucci

4. Reid - I don't think he gets credit for the personnel moves he makes.

5. Cowher

Worst

1. Erickson  - He's gone, but the guy's a loser

2. Martz - He inherited talent, but he's an arrogant dipsh*t

3. Tice

4. Green - He blew it with the McCown benching

5. Dungy- He's overrated, Tom Moore should get the credit for their success.

658313[/snapback]

I like Mooch, but don't think he would be on my top five list. Green gets at least a two season pass, for what he did with the Vikings. Sure they never won the big one under him, but he did have good success there. He gets a couple of years to get his guys in there. I do not think Dungy is overrated, because it was basically his team that won the SB for the Bucs.

Anyway, here is my list: I am going with active coaches from the 2004 season.

Top 5

1. Jon Gruden

2. Jim Mora, Jr.

3. Marvin Lewis

4. Brian Billick

5. Herm Edwards

Bottom 5

1. Mike Martz

2. Dennis Erickson

3. Butch Davis

4. Mike Shanahan

5. Jim Hasslett