[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you were an owner an NFL team

masslefty33

1. Erickson  - He's gone, but the guy's a loser

658313[/snapback]

Not to say Dennis Erickson deserves anything other than a mediocre rating, but the guy has had one horrible season that wasn't his fault as a pro coach, a lot of 8-8 seasons, and more than one team that overachieved to get even that good.

:D

Edited by godtomsatan

Also, Herm Edwards and his clock management this ENTIRE season was absolutely atrocious. His decision making alone cost them the Steelers game.

658393[/snapback]

Not that I'm going to disagree with you regarding Edwards overall performance, but Doug Brien has way more to do with costing the Jets the Steelers game than Herm Edwards.

Not that I'm going to disagree with you regarding Edwards overall performance, but Doug Brien has way more to do with costing the Jets the Steelers game than Herm Edwards.

658529[/snapback]

First and 10 and they don't move the ball. They don't even try, and force Brien to kick a 47 yard field goal on the road, outside, in the playoffs. And then that abortion of a play where Pennington took a knee making the next field goal even longer. I put VERY little of the blame on Brien.

Many people don't understand that concept ... I am often blasted when I take a realistic view of the Cowboys ... which unfortunately I've had to do for more years than I'd like.

658415[/snapback]

I hear yea, its been tough being a cowboys fan these last few years :D

But you take the bad with the good i guess

1) Bill Belichick

2) John Fox

3) Andy Reid

4) Bill Parcells

5) Mike Martz (just don't let him fiddle with the defense, special teams or clock management)

6) Bill Cowher

7) Brian Billick

8) Steve Marucci

I've seen a few people mention Andy Reid here but a lot more don't have him in their top 5. Now I bleed Eagles green but what Reid has done merits a top 5 IMO. He turned one of the worst teams in the league around to a team that has made the NFC championship 4 years in a row. Granted they haven't been able to get past that game yet but getting there 4 times in a row has to mean something. And on top of that he is the team's GM who has made a lot of good moves. Yes there are some bad moves but the good out weighs the bad by a long shot.

Edited by ebartender

First and 10 and they don't move the ball. They don't even try, and force Brien to kick a 47 yard field goal on the road, outside, in the playoffs. And then that abortion of a play where Pennington took a knee making the next field goal even longer. I put VERY little of the blame on Brien.

658540[/snapback]

Doug Brien was 10-11 from 40-49 yards during the season. He made one from 42 earlier in the game. He hit the crossbar on the 47 yarder.

I'm going to make the claim that 30 of the 32 NFL coaches would have done the exact same thing Edwards did in the same situation, and the two that wouldn't are likely on the worst coaches lists we've been seeing today.

I've seen a few people mention Andy Reid here but a lot more don't have him in their top 5.  Now I bleed Eagles green but what Reid has done merits a top 5 IMO.  He turned one of the worst teams in the league around to a team that has made the NFC championship 4 years in a row.  Granted they haven't been able to get past that game yet but getting there 4 times in a row has to mean something.  And on top of that he is the team's GM who has made a lot of good moves.  Yes there are some bad moves but the good out weighs the bad by a long shot.

658770[/snapback]

No arguments there. Andy Reid is a phenomenal coach. Until you win the big one though, you will never be up with the ones that have. I feel Cowher gets slighted to, as the Steelers are hosting their 5th AFC Championship game in the last ten years at Heinz field on Sunday.

Doug Brien was 10-11 from 40-49 yards during the season. He made one from 42 earlier in the game. He hit the crossbar on the 47 yarder.

I'm going to make the claim that 30 of the 32 NFL coaches would have done the exact same thing Edwards did in the same situation, and the two that wouldn't are likely on the worst coaches lists we've been seeing today.

658782[/snapback]

Fair points. Don't agree that most coaches would have done the same thing though. IMO, a FG over 40 yards, out doors, on the road, in the playoffs, with the game on the line, is NEVER a gimme or even close to a gimme. Continue to move the ball, and either score a TD or have a chip shot to win the game.

JMHO's.

Fair points. Don't agree that most coaches would have done the same thing though. IMO, a FG over 40 yards, out doors, on the road, in the playoffs, with the game on the line, is NEVER a gimme or even close to a gimme. Continue to move the ball, and either score a TD or have a chip shot to win the game.

JMHO's.

659745[/snapback]

Heinz field isn't your normal field. I saw a number (from someone else, not sure how accurate) that opposing kickers were hitting only 45 % from between 40-49 yards.

Heinz field isn't your normal field.  I saw a number (from someone else, not sure how accurate) that opposing kickers were hitting only 45 % from between 40-49 yards.

659752[/snapback]

They used to say that at Giants stadium, they would open field level doors when the opponents were kicking field goals because it would generate very strong winds. Not sure if it's true and if they're still doing it. :D

Herman Edwards' game day coaching needs work...LOTS of work. He makes questionable decisions time after time. I think his decisions at the end of the Steeler game are defensible, and I certainly would not point to him as the main reason the jets lost the game (nor would I finger Brien as the first culprit). On the other hand, his decision not to call a timeout at the end of regulation with the Chargers knocking on the goalline door is completely indefensible IMHO, as was his decision to go for a 2-point conversion midway through the thrid quarter agaiunst the Rams in a must-win game the previous week. Hardly a game goes by where Edwards doesn't seem to make a decision which leaves you scratching your head afterwards, wondering what he's thinking.

Having said all that, caoching is not exclusively about gameday decisions, not by a long shot. Edwards is an exceptional motivator - the Jets have managed to bounce back from some absolutely devestating defeats over the past few seasons, and they always play hard. Edwards also has made very solid personnel decisions, including the hiring of Donnie Henderson as defensive coordinator this past offseason. Listing him among the five worst coaches in the NFL is ludicrous IMO. He's taken the Jets to the playoffs 3 of his 4 seasons here, and he has already coached more playoff games than any coach in jets history (a paltry five, but it gives some context to the kind of organizational history he was up against when he came here). I'm hopeful and optimistic that he can improve his gameday decision-making, perhaps by hiring a veteran coach to assist him in that area, because I think overall he's a very good coach with the potential to get better. Bottom 5 in the league? Hardly.

Edited by Easy n Dirty