[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barrett Robbins

Bill Swerski

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Former Oakland Raiders center Barret Robbins was arrested Monday after being shot over the weekend during a struggle with a police officer investigating a burglary at a South Beach office building.

Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said prosecutors are expected to file formal charges of battery on an officer and trespassing against the former All-Pro, who is best known for disappearing the night before the 2003 Super Bowl.

Link

He's being charged trespassing and battery after getting into a "violent struggle" with a cop.

I feel bad for anyone who has bipolar and depression, but it appears that he has stopped taking his medication again. I guess you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

Link

He's being charged trespassing and battery after getting into a "violent struggle" with a cop.

I feel bad for anyone who has bipolar and depression, but it appears that he has stopped taking his medication again.  I guess you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

659610[/snapback]

It's not uncommon for folks suffering from mental illness to quit taking their medication because the feel "fine" when they are on it. You miss a dose and nothing bad happens, so you are apt to get gradually more complacent until you're nuts again. Not sure if that's what happened here, but it's possible.

It's not uncommon for folks suffering from mental illness to quit taking their medication because the feel "fine" when they are on it.  You miss a dose and nothing bad happens, so you are apt to get gradually more complacent until you're nuts again.  Not sure if that's what happened here, but it's possible.

659735[/snapback]

I have second hand exprience with this since my girlfriend deals with Bi-Polar Disorder. Bi-Polar is even more complicated than what you describe, yo mama. The various medications used to treat it are quite crude and rudimentry. They don't make the majority of patients feel better. They make them feel NOTHING. The effect of the medicine is to make sure they no longer have manic highs or depressive lows. Unfortuanately, a side effect for many is that they also don't experience any real feelings. Some choose to discontinue medication not because they feel "fine", but because they wish to actually experience feelings again. Any feelings. Even if they might be harmful.

Edited by General Itals

As a street paramedic of 10 plus years, I've encountered quite a few people suffered from Bi-Polar disorders. You've got to handle these people with kid gloves, especially with those that suffer from severe paranoia.

Could you imagine dealing with Barret Robbins in a psychotic rage with your back against the wall? It's a *** shame that he's hurt, but that cops lucky to be upright.

Back in college, I briefly worked for a professor who very obviously suffered from bipolar. One day, he was extremely excited about the textbook that we were working on (I was to do the graphics). The next day, there were papers all over the floor in his office, he was very obviously distraught, and he had no time to work on the book. To complicate matters, he had recently threatened one of his grad students (who soon moved to a different lab) and he was also dating one of his postdocs. After dealing with this behavior for a summer, I stopped wasting my time coming to his office to prod him to work on this book and got a new job. He still owed me a substantial amount of money, but I felt too sorry for him to ask for it.

Later that Fall, a grad student informed me that this prof suddenly ditched his teaching duties and went off to Germany (another prof ended up teaching the latter half of his class). The following Spring, this guy contacted a secretary in our department and told her that he had taken a position at UCLA. Sometime later that semester, that same secretary was needed to contact him for some reason, but couldn't. She phoned UCLA and they told her that they'd never heard of him.

I did a lit search on him a while ago and he stopped publishing the year after he supposedly went to UCLA (apparently, he never left Germany). This guy went from being a tenure-track assistant professor at a prestigious Big Ten university (his publication record alone would've gotten him tenure) to a scientific nobody. Clearly, this is a very crippling disorder.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Sad. We have an employee who is bi-polar. He has quit taking his meds a few times. You usually notice a change in his behavior, and we call his parents to come get him. We can't send him out to job sites anymore, ever since I had to go retrieve him from a stream that he was trying to bath in while the crew watched him. I believe that his behavior is mild compared to most cases.