[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it possible the "pundits" are doing it again?

steeler

Is it possible that we are witnessing the same kind of "group-think" this week that we saw last week? Last week everyone thought Manning would be able to exploit the decimated Pats secondary.... as it turns out nothing could be further from the truth.

This week all the talk is about BB being 13-0 when facing a QB for the 2nd time in a season, Brady is 7-0 in the playoffs, they shut down Manning, what are they gonna do to Big Ben, the Steelers looked like Athena last week, etc.

Just wondering :D

I hope so ! The Pats should be favored by 14+, a rookie QB has no buisness being on the field with this Dynasty team. Bill Cowher can not be expected to keep up with the brilliant Mr. Belichick. I just hope the Steelers don't embarass themselves too badly. :D

This is just the dumbass media. The team, its players, and its fans certainly don't think they'll "exploit" anything, or that a win is a foregone conclusion. :D On the road? Against the best D in football? Anything can happen....

This is just the dumbass media. The team, its players, and its fans certainly don't think they'll "exploit" anything, or that a win is a foregone conclusion. :D On the road? Against the best D in football? Anything can happen....

662799[/snapback]

:D Shhh !!! Lets go back to talking about how the Steelers have no chance. I like that better.

Pretty simple equation IMO.

Can the Patriots stop the Steelers ground attack?

True, the Patriots have Manning's number, but even moreso, they have the Colt's passing attack in their pocket. They know where they wanted to go, when they wanted to be there, and they did their best to disrupt that.

Only one week to prepare, a more balanced offensive opponent, and on the road. But, the Pats have been there and know how to win these games.

I don't think Brady looked all that great last week, even though he was fine--but nobody ever confused the Colts defense with the Steelers.

I see a Steeler win.

I wouldn't call the Steelers attack "more balanced" than Indy's by any means, gilthorp. I don't think Bettis/Duce are any more potent than Edge, and the WRs stack up pretty evenly. Basically, I feared the Indy offense FAR more than I do Pittsburgh's (while very solid across the board)...but it's the Steeler defense that scares the sh*t out of me. :D

Edit to add that I now realize you meant how much Indy relied upon Peyton vs. Edge, and Pitt is more balanced run v. pass, which is true...but as far as comparing skill players, I'd put Indy up against Pitt.

Edited by msaint

I wouldn't call the Steelers attack "more balanced" than Indy's by any means, gilthorp. I don't think Bettis/Duce are any more potent than Edge, and the WRs stack up pretty evenly. Basically, I feared the Indy offense FAR more than I do Pittsburgh's (while very solid across the board)...but it's the Steeler defense that scares the sh*t out of me. :D

Edit to add that I now realize you meant how much Indy relied upon Peyton vs. Edge, and Pitt is more balanced run v. pass, which is true...but as far as comparing skill players, I'd put Indy up against Pitt.

663050[/snapback]

While I agree that Indy's offense is derfinitely more dangerous than the Steelers, the Steelers have a better offensive line and a better ability to control the clock with their physical play, which is the only way to beat the Patriots. Since we are talking about what scares us, what scare me most as a Steeler fan is getting beat by Tom Brady's dink and dunking, Brady is the master in clutch situation, this scares me, because teams tend to allow the dinks and dunks in hopes that a mistake will be made, problem is, Brady rarely makes them in these types of games. The other thing that scares me is special teams. Memories of the punt return last week, the punt return in 2001, and the blocked field goal in 2001 keep waking me up in the middle of the night in cold sweats.

Who is the media supposed to favor? 

The team who looked so so against a suspect jets and had the game given to them by two missed fieldgoals?

Or the team that shut down one of the greatest offenses to ever play on a field?

663179[/snapback]

Definitely the latter. The spread should be much larger than just 3 points.

Definitely the latter.  The spread should be much larger than just 3 points.

663182[/snapback]

So, Menudo, you are saying that the Steelers will lose by more that 3 points?

Sounds to me like you're trying to play both sides here. If the Steelers win, I'm sure you won't hestiate to give us all the old "I told you so". But now, you've set yourself up so that if the Pats win by more than 3, you can say "I told you the spread should have been bigger".

So - what is it, Meudo. Are your Steelers going to win, or are they going to lose by more than 3? Let's hear it. You can't have it both ways.

So, Menudo, you are saying that the Steelers will lose by more that 3 points?

Sounds to me like you're trying to play both sides here.  If the Steelers win, I'm sure you won't hestiate to give us all the old "I told you so".  But now, you've set yourself up so that if the Pats win by more than 3, you can say "I told you the spread should have been bigger".

So - what is it, Meudo.  Are your Steelers going to win, or are they going to lose by more than 3?  Let's hear it.  You can't have it both ways.

663249[/snapback]

You are mis-understanding me. The Steelers are going to win. I am confident in that. I am just saying that the spread should have been much larger.... :D Trust me, if the Pats win by more than 3, you would never get a reminder of my talk. Call me supersitious, call me enjoying the underdog role, call me an idiot, but don't mis-understand me, the Steelers will win.

I'm surprised enough that the Pats are favored at all - there's no way they should be favored by more than 3. This is the #1 seed in the AFC we're talking about here - favoring their opponent by more than 3 in PIT would be a traveshamockery.

Yeah, and after the game, they slammed Manning for a mediocre performance, while proclaiming Brady "the better QB" for his mediocre performance.

663274[/snapback]

You've got a point, but throwing for 238 yards and 1 INT against a not-so-great secondary can't be considered mediocre in my eyes. At least Brady's relatively paltry numbers can be explained by the fact that NE ran the ball 40 times . . .

I'm surprised enough that the Pats are favored at all - there's no way they should be favored by more than 3.  This is the #1 seed in the AFC we're talking about here - favoring their opponent by more than 3 in PIT would be a traveshamockery.

663277[/snapback]

C'mon Balzac. Don't you hear the media and fans, the Steelers are lucky to even get a shot at the Patriots. I mean the Patriots are the defending champions of the world. They have a QB that never loses big games and a coach who is the most brilliant strategist the world has ever known. Like I said, as a Steeler fan, I am just honored that they get to share the field with this New England team.

C'mon Balzac.  Don't you hear the media and fans, the Steelers are lucky to even get a shot at the Patriots.  I mean the Patriots are the defending champions of the world.  They have a QB that never loses big games and a coach who is the most brilliant strategist the world has ever known.  Like I said, as a Steeler fan, I am just honored that they get to share the field with this New England team.

663343[/snapback]

You're acting as if nobody is giving the Steelers a shot here - I think most people would agree that this game is slightly more than a toss-up, with momentum slightly favoring the Pats. Anyone who says that the Pats are a lock is a moron . . . but I've yet to see anyone say this.

662799[/snapback]

Now, theoretically speaking, being the editor and owner of the Sports Rag, wouldn't you be considered part of the dumbass media? :D

You've got a point, but throwing for 238 yards and 1 INT against a not-so-great secondary can't be considered mediocre in my eyes.  At least Brady's relatively paltry numbers can be explained by the fact that NE ran the ball 40 times . . .

663288[/snapback]

Of course, Indy COULDN'T run the ball AT ALL, which certainly didn't help their passing game. Nor did the dropped passes and fumbles.

BTW, I think you're underplaying the performance of the Pats LBs in containing Edgerrin James. I've read that the Colts did try to attempt to use their stretch play but were often unable to get it off the ground, due to the LB coverage.

Menudo's pounding this this "no, you first" thing into the ground this week. We get it already that you're trying to make yourself the underdog when in reality we know you're not. Ben hasn't lost a game yet (despite looking a little shaky of late), you haven't lost a home game since God was a child, you have the best record in a very, very tough conference AND you're at home. We all know that the oddsmakers are trying to even out the betting and it has nothing to do with what they expect the outcome of the game to be.

So cut it out already. :D