[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs Looking To Aquire Surtain

'canes2004

Not bad, not bad at all. 

He's worth more than a 2.15 and whatever a "later mid round pick" is - but its a move that would really help us with salary cap. 

Win-Win

713680[/snapback]

Agreed. The cap space is what we need most for the time being.

I also agree that Surtain is worth more than a 2:15. I'm surprised that is the best Miami can find in terms of offers. Has KC done something to create cap room? No way, based on the numbers I recently looked at they can afford Surtain without some other, rather significant salary cap moves. After the release of Holiday, KC is right at the cap figure. GM Peterson said they should be 4 to 5 mil under by March 2nd. I beleive he based that on info available BEFORE the Surtain deal came up, but I may be wrong on that.

That was the big issue facing the Chiefs this year, no money on the cap to sign the D help they need so bad. Now, they can afford Surtain? Hmmmm....

I also  agree that Surtain is worth more than a 2:15.  I'm surprised that is the best Miami can find in terms of offers. Has KC done something to create cap room? No way, based on the numbers I recently looked at they can afford Surtain without some other, rather significant salary cap moves. After the release of Holiday, KC is right at the cap figure. GM Peterson said they should be 4 to 5 mil under by March 2nd. I beleive he based that on info available BEFORE the Surtain deal came up, but I may be wrong on that.

That was the big issue facing the Chiefs this year, no money on the cap to sign the D help they need so bad. Now, they can afford Surtain? Hmmmm....

713709[/snapback]

I'm guessing a long term deal with a signing bonus spread out over the term to minimize the cap number for this year. You may see Trent Green restructure for this year also since his cap number is so high.

how about Blaylock and a 1st rounder for Surtain?Thats a win-win

713921[/snapback]

it would also be a steal-steal for the Dolphins. Nobody's gonna offer a first rounder for Surtain.

Edited by CaptainHook

it would also be a steal-steal for the Dolphins.  Nobody's gonna offer a first rounder for Surtain.

713972[/snapback]

Agreed. With the new no-contact rules in effect the value of a stud shut-down CB has gone down dramaticaly. He's still gonna make some team's defense improve it's pass coverage 10 fold but these new bullmanure rules hamper all DB's.

Agreed. With the new no-contact rules in effect the value of a stud shut-down CB has gone down dramaticaly. He's still gonna make some team's defense improve it's pass coverage 10 fold but these new bullmanure rules hamper all DB's.

714066[/snapback]

Isnt Blaylock a UFA? No trade there ... KC is supposed to get a lot of cap room credit from the NFL due to likely to be earned bonuses which were not earned due to Priest and some others being hurt. That helps. I dont think the cap is that big an issue ...

And this from the KC Star:

Chiefs consider Surtain

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs' search for a cornerback has started with Miami's Patrick Surtain but won't necessarily end there.

President/general manager Carl Peterson talked with the Dolphins this weekend about a trade for Surtain, a two-time Pro Bowler. Complicating matters is that Surtain's contract is heading into its final season and the Chiefs won't make a trade without having him signed for the long term.

Three other veteran cornerbacks, Tennessee's Samari Rolle, Washington's Fred Smoot and Seattle's Ken Lucas, are also on the Chiefs' priority list. Rolle, a favorite of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, was released recently by the Titans in a cost-cutting move.

He could visit with the Chiefs as soon as Wednesday.

“It's in the hands of Miami,'' Peterson said of Surtain. “They're looking for a draft choice, and it's also in the hands of the agent, who's looking for a big contract. We've talked, but the number is too big. If it gets reasonable, then fine.''

Surtain played seven seasons for Miami and played in the Pro Bowl after the 2002 and 2003 seasons.

“He's an All-Pro cornerback,'' Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “He can play all the variations of coverage. He's a very talented guy. But there's other guys out there, too, and I just don't know right now just how this is going to end up.''

Ty Law, released by New England last week, is not on the Chiefs' priority list, though that could change. Law missed the last half of last season because of a foot injury.

“There's mixed feelings about him,'' Vermeil said. “He's a high-quality player but he's got a long way to go on his rehab.''

The Chiefs plan to tender contract offers to three of their potential restricted free agents. Linebacker Scott Fujita, wide receiver Marc Boerigter and safety Shaunard Harts will receive one-year offers for $656,000.

Each offer would give the Chiefs the right of first refusal if the player signs an offer sheet with another club.

The Chiefs weren't planning to offer a contract to a fourth potential restricted free agent, fullback Omar Easy.

Just because Jason Whitlock (KC Star, The Sports Reporters, ESPN, etc) has HUGE THROBBING man-love for Ty Law does not mean that real fans want that old man with a bad wheel on our team...

714589[/snapback]

No doubt. A TON of risk for him right now, and for what he would cost you could improve so many other areas.