[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where does Matt Jones get drafted now?

polksalet

"Not surprisingly, the biggest quarterback here just in terms of physical size is former Arkansas standout Matt Jones, a four-year starter. Jones measured 6-feet-6 and 242 pounds and looked more like a tight end than a quarterback. It is obvious that Jones wants a shot to play quarterback in the NFL, but some teams have other plans for him. Jones lined up at wide receiver in the Senior Bowl game and, while he will work quarterback drills on Sunday, could get some "repetitions" as a pass-catcher, too. "I see what guys like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El have done in Pittsburgh, two guys who were very successful college quarterbacks and made the move to wide receiver in the NFL, and that shows me it can be done," Jones said. "I'm not going to kid anyone because, if I had my (preference), it would be to play quarterback. But I'm going to do what scouts want me to do because, bottom line, I just want to play football.""

""I'm not going to kid anyone because, if I had my (preference), it would be to play quarterback. But I'm going to do what scouts want me to do because, bottom line, I just want to play football.""

714031[/snapback]

With that kind of attitude to go along with all those skills, I can see him going in the 3rd-4th somewhere. Just one of those players that are a joy to watch.

With that kind of attitude to go along with all those skills, I can see him going in the 3rd-4th somewhere. Just one of those players that are a joy to watch.

714068[/snapback]

I remember a few years back the 6OT game he played in against Eli Manning and Ole Miss. Without a doubt, the kid belongs somewhere in the NFL. 4th round pick as a receiver IMO.

"Not surprisingly, the biggest quarterback here just in terms of physical size is former Arkansas standout Matt Jones, a four-year starter. Jones measured 6-feet-6 and 242 pounds and looked more like a tight end than a quarterback. It is obvious that Jones wants a shot to play quarterback in the NFL, but some teams have other plans for him. Jones lined up at wide receiver in the Senior Bowl game and, while he will work quarterback drills on Sunday, could get some "repetitions" as a pass-catcher, too. "I see what guys like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El have done in Pittsburgh, two guys who were very successful college quarterbacks and made the move to wide receiver in the NFL, and that shows me it can be done," Jones said. "I'm not going to kid anyone because, if I had my (preference), it would be to play quarterback. But I'm going to do what scouts want me to do because, bottom line, I just want to play football.""

714031[/snapback]

I like him just for the attitude. Good for him, I hope he does well!!!

With his obvious physical skills and size, I can see some NFL club molding him into a TE along the lines of Antonio Gates!  :D

714196[/snapback]

His physical skills blow Gates or any other TE away. This kid nearly broke into the 4.3 range. I mean he is as big as Jevon Kearse and as fast as Terrell Owens.

4.41 40, the fastest ever ran by a qb at the combne along with a 39.5" vertical. I dont know what his official measurements are but im guessing 6-5 240ish. Not bad for a qb/wr/te.

714023[/snapback]

I thought he ran a 4.37 on his first try. I watched it on the NFL Network last night.

If he is still around in the 4th round, I'd love to see the Cowboys take him.  I'm pretty sure he would be on Jerry's radar, being from Arkansas.

714396[/snapback]

I'm hoping the Panthers take him. The guys on the NFL Network say he's moving up in a hurry. He might not be there in round 4.

4.41 40, the fastest ever ran by a qb at the combne along with a 39.5" vertical. I dont know what his official measurements are but im guessing 6-5 240ish. Not bad for a qb/wr/te.

714023[/snapback]

Either:

1) Mike Vick is slower than I remember, or

2) Mike Vick doesn't play QB, or

3) Mike Vick didn't run at the combines, or

4) Polk is wrong about Matt Jones being the fastest QB in the history of the NFL combine.

I think Vick ran a 4.27, but I don't believe it was at the combine.

Jones is interesting just because of his combination of size and speed. I would sure be disappointed if he ends up a TE. Drew Bennet also played QB in college and looked good this season as a WR. With 4.4 speed and his size Jones would create all kinds of match-up problems as a WR.

I think Vick ran a 4.27, but I don't believe it was at the combine.

Jones is interesting just because of his combination of size and speed. I would sure be disappointed if he ends up a TE. Drew Bennet also played QB in college and looked good this season as a WR. With 4.4 speed and his size Jones would create all kinds of match-up problems as a WR.

714516[/snapback]

He could pose bigger matchup problems as a TE.

His speed would create mismatches at TE for sure. But the players defending him would be much bigger and he would have more traffic to deal with. I like the 6' 6" height plus the jumping ability against a 5'11" corner all day long. It is a bigger mismatch than Owens or Moss, and they have created all kinds of problems for opposing defenses. If Jones can run decent routes, I see a tremendous upside for him.

His physical skills blow Gates or any other TE away. This kid nearly broke into the 4.3 range. I mean he is as big as Jevon Kearse and as fast as Terrell Owens.

714205[/snapback]

I agree. In watching his combine and Senior Bowl footage, the Kid is an amazing route runner with great hands. During some drills I watched at the Senior Bowl, he made some great one-handed grabs and turned the DBs at will with some great route running.

@ 6-5 with 4-4 speed, he is a ton more athletic than Gates and Gonzo. That said, based on what I saw, I think he will be drafted pretty early on day 1. Simply put, I was truly amazed at his agility, hands, route running, and jumping ability.

FREAK!

According to the coaches at the Senior Bowl, his precise intuitive route running, ability to BLOW up the JAM, and gain seperation was truly amazing based on his limited experience. I think any question about his ability to transition to WR has been answered.

Edited by gspot

Either:

1) Mike Vick is slower than I remember, or

2) Mike Vick doesn't play QB, or

3) Mike Vick didn't run at the combines, or

4) Polk is wrong about Matt Jones being the fastest QB in the history of the NFL combine.

714441[/snapback]

Vick didn't run at the combine.

Panthers in round 2 baby!

714863[/snapback]

I would love to see this, the Panthers need a playmaker at TE bad.

Delhomme needs a safety valve when the downfield receivers are covered, and Mangum just doesn't cut it.

Jones or Heath Miller!! Are you listening Marty Hurney???

I would love to see this, the Panthers need a playmaker at TE bad.

Delhomme needs a safety valve when the downfield receivers are covered, and Mangum just doesn't cut it.

Jones or Heath Miller!! Are you listening Marty Hurney???

716390[/snapback]

Miller is a good pick but we need some O-Lineman. Hopefully we can gat Barron and then take Jones in round 2. we could use Jones the same way that San Diego uses Gates.