[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's official - Moss a Raider

rajncajn

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Randy Moss officially joined the Raiders on Wednesday, when Oakland completed a trade with the Minnesota Vikings for the star receiver.

Moss was scheduled to be formally introduced by his new team in an afternoon news conference, Raiders senior administrator Artie Gigantino said. The Raiders were working to restructure his base salary of $7.5 million for next season into a more cap-friendly signing bonus to be prorated over future years.

The Vikings receive linebacker Napoleon Harris, the No. 7 pick in April's NFL draft and a late-round pick in the swap, which was completed a week ago but couldn't be made official until Wednesday.

Oakland also was in serious talks with free-agent running back LaMont Jordan, whose addition also could be announced. Jordan spent his first four season with the New York Jets.

Kerry Collins should move up quite a bit. I believe Porter will probably stay around what was expected of him. Moss tho IMO will drop big time fantasy-wise.

717839[/snapback]

Curious, why do you think moss will drop big time?

Edited by Jackass

I think that's what we were all saying about T.O. this time last year.

717898[/snapback]

I didn't think TO would drop at all because he was going to a very good QB with McNabb, but I do think that there is not only a dropoff from Culpepper to Collins. But Porter being quite an upgrade over any of the Vikings receivers will take some touches away from Moss.

If Kerry can do anything it's throw the deep ball well. He can huck it. With Porter drawing attention on the other side, and perhaps Lamont in the backfield, this could be a serious offense to deal with. I think Randy will post his usual stellar numbers, no real reason to expect any major dropoff imo.

I didn't think TO would drop at all because he was going to a very good QB with McNabb, but I do think that there is not only a dropoff from Culpepper to Collins. But Porter being quite an upgrade over any of the Vikings receivers will take some touches away from Moss.

717919[/snapback]

Yeah I think Kerry Collins goes up quite a bit with these weapons. I would say he is a top 10 QB IMO.

Moss drops because I don't think Collins is as good as Culpepper (but I would love to be proved wrong for the Raiders benefit)

Porter goes up a tick because he is going to be going against single coverage and probably not the other teams #1 corner. Porters best year was when he was the #3 WR behind Brown and Rice. He hasn't proven to be a consistent #1 who can't beat coverages.

I'm not sure about Jordan. I think he is an upgrade to whatever the Raiders have now (which is crap) but I still don't know too much about him. Still with those WR's he wouldn't face too many 8 man lines.

Now what about some defense? We're starting too look like the Colts now signing all these offensive players!!! (I see you Hook!)..............

If you can't beat 'em. . .

718068[/snapback]

Just thinking about it I think whoever the Raiders #3 WR might have some value. I'm not sure about Ronald Curry; I've heard achilles injuries are a *** to come back from. Doug Gabriel might step into the Brandon Stokley role for the Raiders possibly..............

Curry would have been perfect for that. I doubt very much he'll be ready to go for next year, if ever again. Gabriel is more of a speed guy, no? I think you definitely need that speed, but some shiftiness or quickness in and out of cuts to make you a great slot WR. I have to admit, I haven't seen enough of Gabriel.

Edited by CaptainHook

Curry would have been perfect for that.  I doubt very much he'll be ready to go for next year, if ever again.  Gabriel is more of a speed guy, no?  I think you definitely need that speed, but some shiftiness or quickness in and out of cuts to make you a great slot WR.  I have to admit, I haven't seen enough of Gabriel.

718091[/snapback]

Yeah Gabriel is a burner and always looks good in preseason games but still a little bit of an unknown. He would have to be a late round flyer if you already had locked up your starters earlier in your draft.............

I think Moss will go out with a chip on his shoulder and blow up this year.

717922[/snapback]

EXACTLY!!!!

Kerry can throw the deep ball. If Raiders are playing from behind again due to defense, Kerry should do well 2nd year in Norv's offense especially with the Moss/Porter combo.

They need to sign a young RB next, hopefully Lamont Jordan. He is a perfect fit for Norv's offense.

You are out of your mind Captain Hook...

this trade benefits both teams...Vikes get rid of a cancer and have a chance to improve the D...you are way off on this one my friend...

718211[/snapback]

Oh, I very well could be wrong. We'll see. I just don't think the Vikes are getting value for Moss.

Napoleon Harris + seventh pick (Edwards/Williams/etc.) = Randy Moss ? :D

I don't think so.

Edited by CaptainHook

under the circumstances, the Vikes got what they could...this trade goes far beyond just value...

also, Moss HAS been injured off and on for the last three years...no doubting his abilities but when you take EVERYTHING into consideration, could be a great trade for the Vikes...

This will go down as one of the worst trades ever.  Second only to the Herschel Walker trade.

718033[/snapback]

Or maybe the John Elway draft and trade?? :D

I've told this story, but I'm going to tell it again. In 1999 the Colts had Marshall Faulk. A very good, but not great, player for several years. Rumors were that Faulk liked to stay out late and party, even before games. He never was that much into conditioning. He griped all the time that the Colts used him as a receiver too much. He had been hurt several times, even entirely missing the Colts 1995 ride to the AFC Championship with a bum knee (yeah, it's the same one that gives him problems now). Peyton was a rookie. Marshall wanted a new contract. GM Bill Polian decided to trade Marshall in the offseason. The Colts received a second round and a fifth round pick from the St. Louis Rams. The rest is history.

Marshall was asked during the Rams run what had changed to make him great. He said it was a game in Baltimore toward the end of his last year in Indy. He had been playing awesome, but the Colts D stunk, and after blowing a big lead, Baltimore had gone ahead at the end of the game. The Colts had the ball and only a few minutes remaining. Faulk was supposed to run a route in the flat, but didn't run it properly. Manning threw the ball where Faulk was supposed to be, and Marshall had to reach for it. It bounced off his hands and was intercepted. In film study the next week, Jim Mora called Marshall out in front of everyone, telling him how his lack of preparation and execution blew that game. Marshall said at first he was ticked, because of all he'd done in that game. But then, he said, he realized that Mora was right. He had to be better because he could do so much more with his talents. Unfortunately, he had angered enough of the coaching staff and management, and was traded. That realization came one year too late for the Colts.

Yeah, Randy's an idiot. He is also an unbelievable talent. Hopefully it would have clicked one day for him. But I sure as heck wouldn't give him up for Napoleon Harris and a first rounder.

Edited by CaptainHook

Or maybe the John Elway draft and trade?? :D

718265[/snapback]

Elway refused to play for the Baltimore Colts in 1983, threatening to play baseball instead. . .

Edited by CaptainHook