[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seattle

devilwoman

Anyone else scratching their head?  I mean Roddy was still on the board?  And what happened with Seattle giving their pick to Oakland...who/what did we get for that?  :D

791425[/snapback]

1st Round (#26) and the Raiders 4th Round (#6 I think).

Head scratching, I suppose.

I read up on Spencer and the 2 LBs, I like them a lot as players. Sounds like they got a lot of heart and will do whatever it takes to play. This kid from Clemson could end up being a steal at OLB, and the G/C they drafted first has some great size and speed.

All of them just kind of seem to be filling backup roles for 2005.

Edited by godtomsatan

I hoped that 24 hours of reflection would make me feel better about this draft, but this morning I'm still thinking:

WHAT THE FUH??????

The Hawks have made at least 2 "Big losers of day one" lists that I've seen, not that matters much in the long run, but after an epic week of free agent wrangling, I really thought we would see a more canny draft.

Despite all the movement, we still have NO DISCERNABLE PASS RUSH, and the fact that this has yet to be addressed alarms me. Maybe Ruskell knows something I don't about free agent DE's to be released June 1st...

I'm actually more concerned about the reaching. To take a C in the 1st, he must be pretty darn good. This guy didn't seem to be all that dominant. Also I'm hearing Tatupu was a pretty long reach considering who was still on the board. I can't believe we didn't take Crowder

I heard predraft rumblings about the heehawks taking an OL in the 1st, regardless of the lack of pass rushers. Lo and behold, an OL in the 1st. The guy is supposed to be great. They have been trying to fill needs on the linebacker front, but still no real pass rusher as to date. Thing is, if we have an OL go down, they would have been screwed. Hasselbeck CANNOT get hurt or the heehawks playoff dreams will be ruined. So, I think in the long run shoring up the OL is a good move. Hopefully, a free agent will pop up, or a trade will be made for some more defense.

Edited by heehawks

The Hawks have made at least 2 "Big losers of day one" lists that I've seen, not that matters much in the long run, but after an epic week of free agent wrangling, I really thought we would see a more canny draft. 

Despite all the movement, we still have NO DISCERNABLE PASS RUSH, and the fact that this has yet to be addressed alarms me. Maybe Ruskell knows something I don't about free agent DE's to be released June 1st...

791703[/snapback]

That's true. Plus, consider that the DLine guys left were not considered particularly strong. Spencer looks like he might be a solid pick. He gives much needed OLine depth at C and G (maybe even the #1 RG this year?).

The LBs look to be reaches, but both guys have very nice resumes regarding everything but height and weight.

OK, as I write this they just drafted another tweener guy at LB. That makes three of them. Is this a philosophy or something? Two guys too small to be LBs, and too big to be SSs. Another guy too big to be a LB, and too small to be a DE.

OK, as I write this they just drafted another tweener guy at LB. That makes three of them. Is this a philosophy or something? Two guys too small to be LBs, and too big to be SSs. Another guy too big to be a LB, and too small to be a DE.

791821[/snapback]

...Making for a total of 11 linebackers on the roster, only one of which is a legitimate starter. And they could've kept Brown around for another $500k than the Mil the were offering? Seems like a small price to pay for the leadership.

A couple guys have mentioned Crowder, but with his questions on the character front, it shouldn't be surprising in the least that Ruskell didn't take him.

...Making for a total of 11 linebackers on the roster, only one of which is a legitimate starter. And they could've kept Brown around for another $500k than the Mil the were offering? Seems like a small price to pay for the leadership.

A couple guys have mentioned Crowder, but with his questions on the character front, it shouldn't be surprising in the least that Ruskell didn't take him.

792042[/snapback]

I'll admit this draft is a bit perplexing.

Super positive outlook:

* Solidified the offensive line for a generation with Spencer and maybe this Willis kid.

* Got a defensive playmaker up the middle that moves Sharper to the outside, and enough depth to hope that the other 9 LBs on the roster produces at least one other performer (Tatupu was the MLB on a 2-time National Champion, even if he's 5'11", 225).

* Got a backup QB and maybe a FB.

Super negative outlook:

* Got a bunch of "best athletes available"/"character" guys that don't really play any particular position and shifted around a lot in college.

* "Reached" for at least 3 picks, including trading 3 picks to move up and draft Tatupu in the 2nd Round, a guy that most draft "gurus" had going in the 4th or 5th Round.

* Failed to address real glaring needs on the DLine, skipping over some DE and DT types in the process.

The only thing is we will see what happens. Maybe some DE/DT types come available on June 1st. Maybe someone comes over in a trade for Alexander after July 15th.

It's obvious the DLine is ugly. I believe the LB corps is solid with the depth, and I'm willing to see what Tatupu has to offer. I'm also unsure as to whether the scheme Rhodes runs is worthwhile enough to be running in '05.