[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Drafts

devilwoman

I am interested in what kind of time limits you all have on your draft days. The league I am in is 2 minutes per pick. It's a 12 team league with 12 rounds. I actually think this is to quick...if you can believe that, but think 3-5 is optimal. Really who would actually take 5 minutes unless you were in the can or something.

Most drafts I've been involved in were between two and three minutes. I find this more than sufficient as long as you are prepared. In a typical serpentine draft you will have plenty of time between your picks. There is always at least one person who uses the entire time allotted because they are being indecisive. Usually becuase they are unprepared and are browsing websites or posting on message boards trying to find out who they should take next. If this were not the case, there would be no need for the time limit at all.

But what happens in most cases when the time limit is up .. do they have to write a name down right then or the next person goes and then they get their turn? The local I was in last year didn't have a limit that I remember ... but I think we are going to use one this year.

2 minutes for every round.

In a 12 team league using a serpentine draft the only time this might prove difficult is on the turnaround when you have two consecutive picks but even then it has been several minutes since your last pick so you should be ready even in that environment.

The secret is how you utilize your time between picks. In my leagues the people that have the most problems with the time limits are the ones doing the most socializing between picks. Or they only have 1 player in mind rather than a list of possible picks and then when that 1 player they wanted gets taken by the person in front of them they are stuck.

First 5 rounds are 5 min, 3 min after that.

832761[/snapback]

I wouldn't do a live draft unless it were done this way.

But what happens in most cases when the time limit is up

833085[/snapback]

Buy a round for the draft for an extension otherwise, we move on like the nfl and people are free to keep picking until you make yer pick.

I think in a live serpentine draft the hardest positions (as far as time constraints and making a decision) are spots 2 and 11. As Jrick said the end spots have time to evaluate picks and know they have back to back picks so it really doesn't matter in what order they pick them.

However 2 and 11 have to be prepared to go right after back to back picks which could go fairly quickly, if the end owners are prepared, and the players they are looking at get snatched up right before your pick. I don't think it's as big a problem in say the first 3 rounds but after that, then rankings start differing significantly. Also whether you should go best TE or reach for a WR or maybe that 3rd RB.................

In the league I commish we don't have a time clock during the draft, but if someone takes more than about 3 minutes or so, he takes tremendous harrassment from everyone! The draft, therefore, moves along nicely! :D

Edited by Chargerz

My home league draft is one of my very favorite activities of the year. This will be our 22nd year. We have no time limits, 12 teams, usually done in about 3 hours. What is the hurry? :D

Now, the FLS draft can't go fast enuff. Those f'n shysters. :D

In the league I commish we don't have a time clock during the draft, but if someone takes more than about 3 minutes or so, he takes tremendous harrassment from everyone! The draft, therefore, moves along nicely! :D

833207[/snapback]

We do the same thing in our local league.

833207[/snapback]

Yes and...

My home league draft is one of my very favorite activities of the year.  This will be our 22nd year.  We have no time limits, 12 teams, usually done in about 3 hours.  What is the hurry? :D

Now, the FLS draft can't go fast enuff.  Those f'n shysters. :D

833255[/snapback]

yes.

If it looks to become a problem people start threatening time limits but it has never come to that. Besides more time to drink beer with friends and when the little woman asks what took so long I just tell her something like, "I know. If everyone were as prepared as I was we would've been done an hour earlier but you know how those guys can be". I just don't see it as problem.