[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maddux wins his 311th victory...

I Like Soup

I have been a longtime fan of Greg Maddux mostly because he hasn't been able to rely on blowing hitters away but outthinking them and relying on his knowledge of pitching. Of course, the years seem to have whittled away at something as Mad Dog's ERA steadily climbs each year, as do the number of home runs he allows. In the late 90's I probably would have argued Maddux was on par with Clemens for this generation's best pitcher...but Clemens has left him in the dust.

What do y'all think?

I have been a longtime fan of Greg Maddux mostly because he hasn't been able to rely on blowing hitters away but outthinking them and relying on his knowledge of pitching.  Of course, the years seem to have whittled away at something as Mad Dog's ERA steadily climbs each year, as do the number of home runs he allows.  In the late 90's I probably would have argued Maddux was on par with Clemens for this generation's best pitcher...but Clemens has left him in the dust.

What do y'all think?

849609[/snapback]

Maddux is firey, but Clemens has got to be from another planet. The fact that he's still blowin' batters away is uncanny. He's not gonna catch Ryan, but he is certainly this generation's most dominant, with the Big Unit figuring in there, although well behind.

Maddux has always relied on his smarts. He's still smart, obviously. But back in the day, he had a few extra gears that he relied upon when he was facing extremely smart AND powerfull hitters. He just doesn't have the extra gear anymore.

You should see the guy on the golf course. Man, what a competitor. I've heard several stories from a buddy in Atlanta that has been in his foursome numerous times (when he was pitching for the Braves and even after he's returned to Chicago). I guess my buddy's wife knows his wife or something. Anyways, he's a superb golfer and of course, hates to lose. Hates to lose on the mound, too. He's gotta be classified as one of our generation's best (due to his wins, clutch wins, defense), just not one of the most dominating, power-pitching-wise.

What do y'all think?

849609[/snapback]

Of Maddux? He's a 1st ballot HOFer. The best right handed pitcher of his generation not named Clemens. His legacy was cemented years ago. If he peters around for a few years, doesn't change anything.

Of Maddux? He's a 1st ballot HOFer. The best right handed pitcher of his generation not named Clemens. His legacy was cemented years ago. If he peters around for a few years, doesn't change anything.

849617[/snapback]

Agree 100%. I was rather bitter at him, however, for sleeping with the enemy (going from my Cubbies to the Bravos). At least he came home to retire. :D

I have been a longtime fan of Greg Maddux mostly because he hasn't been able to rely on blowing hitters away but outthinking them and relying on his knowledge of pitching.  Of course, the years seem to have whittled away at something as Mad Dog's ERA steadily climbs each year, as do the number of home runs he allows.  In the late 90's I probably would have argued Maddux was on par with Clemens for this generation's best pitcher...but Clemens has left him in the dust.

What do y'all think?

849609[/snapback]

yeah, i agree with all of that. clemens' career after age 35 or so pushes him into the territory of the top 5 or 10 all-time greats. maddux is probably more like top 20. i've loved watching both guys for about as long as i can remember.

What do y'all think?

849609[/snapback]

With a foot of extra strike zone he is a great pitcher, without it, he is a good pitcher... :D

Seriously though, great pitcher, great defense, not a bad hitter, and most importantly a very good golfer.

Great Pitchers earn extra inches of strike zone, I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's part of the game.

Top 5 of this generation.

849617[/snapback]

Well said. Maddux in his prime was incredible and is still a solid starter. He does so without any over-the-top dominating stuff, just pin-point control and he obviously puts his time into studying film and scouting reports. Clemens is in a world of his own. I would put Clemens top 5 all-time and you could make an argument for him as # 1, considering the era of the smaller stadiums, bigger athletes.

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA

G Maddux 5.0 10 6 6 1 2 1 88-59 4.87

Maddux and the Cubs are losing to the Brewers 6-5 in the 7th...

Someone please tell Maddux that he is Greg Maddux and he was pitching against the Milwaukee f'n Brewers!

Pitchers IP  H  R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA

G Maddux 5.0 10 6 6 1 2 1 88-59 4.87

Someone please tell Maddux that he is Greg Maddux and he was pitching against the Milwaukee f'n Brewers!

860062[/snapback]

Started him in my h2h league... fortunately my week's ERA was already pretty low so he's not killin' me..... could use a win, though.

860062[/snapback]

As it stands, the Cubs right now are just better than the Brewers; but that gap is narrowing - especially since the prospects are coming up and they look legit (Weeks and Fielder have had little problem with major league pitching; Hardy's offense is weak but improving and he's the absolute truth in the field).

Just a quick grammatical point.

It's difficult for anyone to lose their 311th victory; the title is a bit redundant.

PS - Maddux is a top 15-25 pitcher; Clemens is a top 5-10 pitcher; Randy Johnson is a top 20-40 pitcher.