[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The end of NFL Primtime as we know it?

Fatman

From www.profootballtalk.com:

ESPN'S NFL PRIMETIME IS DEAD?

It's been a Sunday evening staple for nearly 20 years. After flipping through the channels for six-plus hours, it was time to settle on one channel for an hour of in-depth highlights and analysis from each of the games.

But all of that will change come 2006.

One of the little-known facts regarding the new wave of NFL television contracts is that, per The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, ESPN will not be permitted to show highlights from Sunday games until after midnight.

NBC, which purchased the Sunday night package of games, has a hammerlock on the highlights, at least until the clock strikes twelve in New York. We assume that this will translate into a Primetime-style show on NBC, which will start at 7:30 Eastern time and lead into the kickoff of the Sunday night games at 8:15.

We suspect, though, that ESPN will accept the tradeoff. After all, ESPN gets the Monday night games as of next year.

But given that ESPN is coughing up a cool $1.1 billion per year for the rights to broadcast MNF, it's odd that the network has been necessarily stripped of its ability to host its trademark Sunday night highlight show.

I'm sure NBC will come up with something, but it won't be the same. I'm a big fan of Boom and Tom in the evening...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the Sunday night "highlight's package" show will be on the NFL Network.

In making these new deals, I'm sure the NFL tried to shift some of the popular, money making shows/concepts over to the NFL network where possible.

This means probably about a 3 hour pregame show on Monday nights on ESPN.

With how far technology and FF has advanced, I find I don't watch highlight shows much anymore. I already know what happened, unless I have been out of pocket all day. Even then, I go to our MFL site and get my scores and stats in a couple of minutes. I am not saying NFL Primetime is a bad show, I just don't watch it much anymore.

The NFL Network is probably moving into the picture. Unfortunately, lots of people don't have it. NBC's show will suck though, that's a given.

With how far technology and FF has advanced, I find I don't watch highlight shows much anymore. I already know what happened, unless I have been out of pocket all day. Even then, I go to our MFL site and get my scores and stats in a couple of minutes. I am not saying NFL Primetime is a bad show, I just don't watch it much anymore.

The NFL Network is probably moving into the picture. Unfortunately, lots of people don't have it. NBC's show will suck though, that's a given.

855768[/snapback]

Wow - I hope fantasy doesn't do this to me. I love playing FF, but not more than I like watching football. Fantasy is a perk, but not the reason, football is such a great game.

Putting ESPN aside for a minute, I wonder what the rules are for local news?

On your 6 and 11 o'clock news (if the game is over), is only NBC going to be allowed to show highlights of NFL games? How about the local team?

How about ESPN News?

In Boston there are 3 or 4 either 10:30 or 11:30 Sunday night sports shows? Is only the NBC station only going to be allowed to show Pat's highlights?

I think this is a bigger issue than ESPN, when you put a 8 hour lock on highlights, you only take the game away from your fans.

Wow - I hope fantasy doesn't do this to me.  I love playing FF, but not more than I like watching football.  Fantasy is a perk, but not the reason, football is such a great game.

855780[/snapback]

wrong angle. I'm with him...I watch football all day long. the highlight show doesn't offer me anything I haven't already seen 30 times. I will miss Boomer and he

could

go

all

the

way

though. And that would be the only reason...boomer and what he would do next.

Wow - I hope fantasy doesn't do this to me.  I love playing FF, but not more than I like watching football.  Fantasy is a perk, but not the reason, football is such a great game.

855780[/snapback]

That's exactly what I was thinking. :D Although, I do believe that there are real fantasy "Geeks" that do not even really watch the football games, nor have they even seen 5 out of 10 guys in their so called "rankings" play a lick...but they can break down their game on a messageboard. :D:D

Edited by Hitman

wrong angle. I'm with him...I watch football all day long. the highlight show doesn't offer me anything I haven't already seen 30 times. I will miss Boomer and he

could

go

all

the

way

though. And that would be the only reason...boomer and what he would do next.

855816[/snapback]

Maybe, but his point seemed to be more about simply checking stats then watching the games. Maybe I misunderstood him.

As a former Sunday Ticket subscriber, I had no use for the highlight show as I had probably seen most of the worthy highlights multiple times already. Some belt-tightening is going to keep me away from ST this year, so hopefully NBC can put something decent together.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I found Berman's schtick really tiresome. It was funny year ago seeing what kind of nicknames he would come up with. Now I just want to reach through the screen and punch the guy in the face. It became more about Berman and less about the highlights.

As a former Sunday Ticket subscriber, I had no use for the highlight show as I had probably seen most of the worthy highlights multiple times already. 

855889[/snapback]

This is me but substitute the words "current" for "former" and "have" for "had". What it was mostly about for me was maintaining that football fix high. It will only really matter in the Miscreant household on Sundays that I'm not home all day watching the ticket and those days are few and far between.

Maybe, but his point seemed to be more about simply checking stats then watching the games.  Maybe I misunderstood him.

855830[/snapback]

Misunderstood a little, but probably my fault for not being very clear....

I watch my favorite team most of the time and sometimes all the games at the bar in the afternoon. I like watching football, no doubt about it. Like loaf said, some days I have seen the play 30 times already.

Now if I have a monumental day in FF, then the highlights are a little more appealing :D That doesn't get old, even on Monday.

Edited by cmoore

Putting ESPN aside for a minute, I wonder what the rules are for local news?

On your 6 and 11 o'clock news (if the game is over), is only NBC going to be allowed to show highlights of NFL games?  How about the local team?

How about ESPN News?

In Boston there are 3 or 4 either 10:30 or 11:30 Sunday night sports shows?  Is only the NBC station only going to be allowed to show Pat's highlights?

I think this is a bigger issue than ESPN, when you put a 8 hour lock on highlights, you only take the game away from your fans.

855800[/snapback]

This doesn't make sense to me, either -- can't even show other games' highlights on a post-game show? What about during the games? What would the NFL have to gain by less exposure?

Anyway, here's the link to the article

All it says is this, which is still kinda confusing to me:

Mike McCarley, Vice-President of Communications and Marketing for NBC said, “They (NFL) came to us with a flexible scheduling idea. Sunday night was the one night that made sense for us.” Plans are for the network to begin with a 7PM pre-game show followed by an 8:15 kickoff.

Another plus for NBC is that no one, including ESPN, will be able to air any NFL highlights until midnight or after on Sunday. “So people will be tuning into NBC for highlights,” said McCarley.

If no one, including ESPN, can show highlights -- how can NBC show highlights?

I'm not saying this is wrong -- it's just a mangled sentence from an NBC exec quoted on a Pittsburgh Live column. The entire story is about the 2006 changes -- that's the only sentence referencing the highlights.

:D

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I found Berman's schtick really tiresome.  It was funny year ago seeing what kind of nicknames he would come up with.  Now I just want to reach through the screen and punch the guy in the face.  It became more about Berman and less about the highlights.

855889[/snapback]

I used to watch the show every Sunday, but it got to the point where I couldn't take Berman's act anymore. After watching all the games and following live scoring on the net even a FF diehard like myself has had enough. :D

Now if I have a monumental day in FF, then the highlights are a little more appealing  :D That doesn't get old, even on Monday.

855946[/snapback]

Especially if you're watching them with the guy you just whooped...