[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alexander signs a one-year

DMD

Alexander has reported to training camp after the star running back and the Seahawks came to agreement on a guaranteed $6.32 million, one-year contract which is actually the same as the franchise tender amount. Alexander did not sign the original franchise tender and though this contract is the same dollar amount there is one important difference - now the Seahawks cannot franchise him in 2006 when Alexander will be an unrestricted free agent. The contract also stipulates that he cannot be traded during the season.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alexander has reported to training camp after the star running back and the Seahawks came to agreement on a guaranteed $6.32 million, one-year contract which is actually the same as the franchise tender amount. Alexander did not sign the original franchise tender and though this contract is the same dollar amount there is one important difference - now the Seahawks cannot franchise him in 2006 when Alexander will be an unrestricted free agent. The contract also stipulates that he cannot be traded during the season.

896476[/snapback]

Hmmmm, so we signed him, but he walks at the end of the season.

Unless we can sign him to a long term contract this year.

All in all, I like it! :D

Edited by Bonehand

Hmmmm.  By not signing the tender doesn't Seattle lose the right to use the franchise tag on ANY player next year?

896482[/snapback]

I think they lose the right to Franchise another player for the life of the contract, which I guess is one year. :D

Edited by Bonehand

i think that means he will be "motivated" all year, which makes me think he will be #2 on my cheat sheet...

896485[/snapback]

unless the Seahawks sign him to a big-time contract during the season, then Alexander is working towards the payoff of a lifetime.

So, does that mean this year?  or next?

896498[/snapback]

My guess is for the season, but I'm not sure. I think Mike Reinfeldt is smart enough not to paint himself into a corner though.

It's sounds like they found a creative work-around for a clunky system.

Edited by Bonehand

He wasn't already?

896521[/snapback]

I'm anal. Like Az. He wasn't even on mine right now. He's now #2, Lewis to #3 and so on. I don't want my personal cheat sheet to have maybes on it. He has :cough: assumed his rightful position on the cheat sheets. I will not argue that.

I think they lose the right to Franchise another player for the life of the contract, which I guess is one year. :D

896487[/snapback]

With Alexander signing the tender before signing a long-term deal, the Seahawks don't lose anything.

This must be just a setup for a long-term deal, with the $6.32 figure restructed for this season, as it seems quite odd that Alexander is willing to play one and only one season for the Seahawks.

:D All in all, good news for the Hawks. :D

With Alexander signing the tender before signing a long-term deal, the Seahawks don't lose anything.

This must be just a setup for a long-term deal, with the $6.32 figure restructed for this season, as it seems quite odd that Alexander is willing to play one and only one season for the Seahawks.

:D All in all, good news for the Hawks.  :D

896578[/snapback]

He did not sign the tender. He signed a one year contract. Re-read the original post. . .

In a compromise move that provides the Seattle Seahawks the services of their premier runner for one more season, but possibly not beyond the 2005 campaign, star tailback Shaun Alexander on Tuesday evening signed a one-year contract with the club and will report to camp on time later this week.

The one-year deal is for $6.32 million, the same amount Alexander would have received had he signed the one-year qualifying offer for a "franchise" tailback, a concession that the Seahawks have been attempting to gain for months.

But there is a fairly monumental caveat included in the contract: The deal stipulates that the Seahawks cannot designate Alexander a franchise player again at the end of the 2005 season. So unless the two sides reach a deal on an extension, which could be difficult given the acrimony that built up over the spring, Alexander would be an unrestricted free agent next spring and free to leave.

The contract, which is totally guaranteed, also precludes the Seahawks from trading the five-year veteran during the season without his approval.

Alexander will report to camp at Eastern Washington University on Thursday and be on the field for practice on Friday.

Discussions aimed at reaching a compromise apparently have been ongoing for about a week and were ramped up in the last few days. Alexander visited team headquarters on Tuesday to finalize the deal.

There have been similar compromises, in which the club forfeits the right to use a franchise marker on a player, but such deals are rare.

Throughout the offseason, Alexander had rebuffed the Seahawks' one-year, franchise qualifying offer. Had he done so, Seattle management would then have been able to negotiate a long-term deal. Three weeks ago, Alexander announced that he would not report to camp without a long-term contract and would consider sitting out the entire season.

Certainly, some advantage in Tuesday's deal goes to Alexander, who almost certainly will enter the open market after the 2005 season. But even unrestricted tailbacks have found it difficult of late to secure lucrative long-term contracts. The Seahawks will have a year to locate, or develop, a viable replacement to the standout back.

A first-round choice in the 2000 draft, Alexander, 27, has rushed for 5,937 yards and 62 touchdowns on 1,347 carries. The former Alabama star posted a career-best 1,696 yards in 2004, finishing second in the NFL in rushing. He also has 173 catches for 1,309 yards and 10 touchdowns in 80 games, including 60 starts.

link

Edited by CaptainHook

Alexander playing for what could possibly end up being the biggest pay day in RB history next season...

896583[/snapback]

After 350 carries and a year older, he may sign a nice short term deal but even elite RBs are not getting big long term contracts anymore.

896476[/snapback]

C'mon, DMD...where did you get this piece of info? Are your sources reliable?

:D

ZING! Couldnt afford to sign him to a lont term contract this year because we signed Hasselbeck and Walter Jones next year were gonna sign him to a 4 year deal probably. Thats my guess. Im just glad to get this out of the way for another season.

If the 'Hawks wanted to sign him to a long term deal, they'd have done it already. Alexander is upset they won't give him a long term deal, so they compromised. He signs a one year deal, they agree not to franchise him again next year. That way he can become a FA. Looks like you might have to get a new favorite player next year. Don't be naive.

Edited by CaptainHook