[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hines Ward

max

Either way I bet Ward will have that stupid smile on his face.

:D

897336[/snapback]

Are you talking about the same smile he had both times he was making fun of T.O. in the endzone during the Steelers thrashing of the Eagles last year ? :D:D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever.  He's well respected by 31 teams so they'l just fork over the cash?  If the Steelers thought that to be the case they wouldn't continue to treat him like a punk.  He is certainly underpaid I never disputed that and maybe he will find the endzone more with Plax gone but Plax certainly pulls more coverage away from Ward that Randle-El will, that is a gaurantee for early in the season if he earns some respect good for Ward if not he'll be lucky to match last year's stats.

I don't project stats never have but what the heck.

Best case 1100 yards 6 TDs.

897363[/snapback]

Teams won't fork over the cash just because he is respected, but because he is respected AND he produces great receiving numbers year in and year out for a running team, AND because he is well known to be the best blocking wide receiver in football.

The Steelers are not treating him like a punk. If they don't re-up him before training camp, THEN they are treating him like a punk at that point.

As for the Plex, Randle-El thing, obviously Randle-El will have to prove himself, but I truly think that he will.

1100 yards and 6 TD's is better than his numbers last year. :D

1100 yards and 6 TD's is better than his numbers last year.  :D

897504[/snapback]

After his great start, I traded away Stephen Jackson and my 2nd rounder this year for Ward and Bruce (needed WRs). Ward wound up being my 4th best WR by years end. Doh!

Teams won't fork over the cash just because he is respected, but because he is respected AND he produces great receiving numbers year in and year out for a running team, AND because he is well known to be the best blocking wide receiver in football.

The Steelers are not treating him like a punk.  If they don't re-up him before training camp, THEN they are treating him like a punk at that point.

As for the Plex, Randle-El thing, obviously Randle-El will have to prove himself, but I truly think that he will. 

1100 yards and 6 TD's is better than his numbers last year.  :D

897504[/snapback]

I gave him an 2 extra TDs and an extra 96 since Randle-el is better than Plax. :D

Again, that is best case and nothing that would result in a max-out FA offer, IMHO. Keyshawn like stats.

After his great start, I traded away Stephen Jackson and my 2nd rounder this year for Ward and Bruce (needed WRs).  Ward wound up being my 4th best WR by years end.  Doh!

897514[/snapback]

Ward's value in the NFL is much higher than his Fantasy Football value. NFL Owners know it, it seems from your early post that you recognize it too, so could you please give Club an education. Thanks.

I gave him an 2 extra TDs and an extra 96 since Randle-el is better than Plax.  :D

Again, that is best case and nothing that would result in a max-out FA offer, IMHO.  Keyshawn like stats.

897536[/snapback]

The money that Ward would get, which would be a significant amount, will not be due to his receiving stats. Ward would get great money, because he does everything well, and NFL Owners and coaches know it. There are no stats for leadership, blocking, desire, etc, but unlike in the fantasy football world, in the world of the NFL, they mean a lot.

Ki-Jana Carter? Steve Emtman? Trev Alberts? Curtis Enis? Courtney Brown? Sylvester Morris? Andy Katzenmoyer? Kyle Turley? Heath Shuler?

Please distinguish between career ending injury and bust:

Kijana Carter hurt his knee in preseason and never recovered but its not becasue his injury was career ending. Career ending means never being able to play football again! He was so beat up because of being on such a bad team. He's gotten chances from about 5 nfl teams inclduing washington, NO, Greenbay. He was a bust.

Quentin Coryatt, Steve Emtman, Trev Alberts were all BUSTS! Yes they were hurt early in their career but were awful picks in the first place.

Courtney Brown has been hurt every season. THAT IS CALLED INJURY PRONE. He was never an agile player to begin with . Many analysts inaccurately determined his transition from college edge player to nfl edge player. Lets not forget he's still in the nfl

Kyle Turley is still in the nfl

Sylvester Morris has battled constant injuries, he didn't suffer a career ending one

Andy katzenmoyer did suffer a serious neck injury but was still a bust. He was more of an “intimidating-College football-white-guy-turned-pathetically-average-to-sub-standard NFL’er” like your fellow boys steve emtman adn trev alberts

rather than a player who was able to bounce back from injury and have a career in the nfl.

Curtis Enis was a bust - and decided to retire from football after almost getting cut by the browns in 2001.

Heath Shuler? Please, he was outplayed by 150th round pick gus frerotte of the some year and never could cut it in the nfl

Please differentiate between a bust and a truly career ending injury to a fine player.

Give me some examples of a pro bowl type player who was hurt and then couldn't cut it in the nfl. TErrel davis does not count becasue he walked away after saying, "i already won 2 superbowls i don't want to jeopardize my career anymore." Maybe jamal anderson said the same thing running backs retire at 30 anyway. Look at robert smith. Thats why most backs get one very large contract whether they are rookies or later in free agency

The money that Ward would get, which would be a significant amount, will not be due to his receiving stats.  Ward would get great money, because he does everything well, and NFL Owners and coaches know it.  There are no stats for leadership, blocking, desire, etc, but unlike in the fantasy football world, in the world of the NFL, they mean a lot.

897596[/snapback]

Everywhere except in Pittsburg apparently. :D

Everywhere except in Pittsburg apparently.   :D

897613[/snapback]

Trust me, he will be signed by the Steelers very soon.

P.S. PittsburgH has an 'H' :D

Steelers :D

Edited by Menudo

Everywhere except in Pittsburg apparently.  :D

897613[/snapback]

Pittsburgh is a tight city when it comes to money available for player salaries. The cap in the NFL lets the Steelers stay competitive. The Pens will catch back up now that they have it. The Bucs, they're still screwed until baseball fixes things.

Pittsburgh could always borrow money to pay for Rison, eh Wards salaray and hope that doesn't force the owner to move. Oh wait, that excuse has been used.

I have a feeling Pittsburgh will pay him. The Steelers having Big Ben without Ward and Plaxico is a Ravens fan dream. Doubt it happens.

Ward will be signed. That's not a real worry--the Steelers will pay him what he deserves.

The Pens will be very tough this year. Crosby could be a superstar.

The Bucs are bad because there is no revenue sharing in baseball as you mentioned. That and Kevin McClatchy won't pay for a true major leaguer for more than a season. But I digress.

Ward will be given what he asks for because I think the city would riot if he didn't. This town loves him.

Ward will be signed. That's not a real worry--the Steelers will pay him what he deserves.

The Pens will be very tough this year. Crosby could be a superstar.

The Bucs are bad because there is no revenue sharing in baseball as you mentioned. That and Kevin McClatchy won't pay for a true major leaguer for more than a season. But I digress.

Ward will be given what he asks for because I think the city would riot if he didn't. This town loves him.

897725[/snapback]

I agree with everythig you mentioned

O.k. someone mentioned the Pirates.

I love baseball and have been a big Pirate fan since birth.

Baseball continues to go downhill and is an absolute joke. There needs to be a salary cap, but there never will be. They've let the players have too much power. When the left side of the Yankees infield makes more than the entire Pirate 25 Man roster, something is wrong. Yes, the Pirates mangement has been awful, but that doesn't change the fact that baseball has become a joke, which is a shame.

O.k. someone mentioned the Pirates.

I love baseball and have been a big Pirate fan since birth.

Baseball continues to go downhill and is an absolute joke.  There needs to be a salary cap, but there never will be.  They've let the players have too much power.  When the left side of the Yankees infield makes more than the entire Pirate 25 Man roster, something is wrong.  Yes, the Pirates mangement has been awful, but that doesn't change the fact that baseball has become a joke, which is a shame.

897759[/snapback]

F'n Pirates. Hate 'em. Beat us in two World Series.

We need a voodoo smilie to help me ward off the evil that resides at PNC Park and Catsup Corner.

I was just listening to ESPN Radio 1250 in Pittsburgh and Mark Madden said that he heard that Ward turned down an offer that had a signing bonus of 8-9 Million and that Ward wants 12-13 Million in signing bonuses.

Again this is something that was stated on the radio and I do not have a link to back it up.

If I hear anything concrete I will post it

I was just listening to ESPN Radio 1250 in Pittsburgh and Mark Madden said that he heard that Ward turned down an offer that had a signing bonus of 8-9 Million and that Ward wants 12-13 Million in signing bonuses. 

Again this is something that was stated on the radio and I do not have a link to back it up. 

897930[/snapback]

Given it will most likely be a multi year deal, that they can spread that out and that they can lower some of the yearly salary, I'd think they are already close.

$4 million total for say a 4-5 year contract is about $1 million a year. That's not a whole bunch in NFL money. My bet is he gets close to the $12 million bonus with very small annual salaries in the first year or two.

Given it will most likely be a multi year deal, that they can spread that out and that they can lower some of the yearly salary, I'd think they are already close.

$4 million total for say a 4-5 year contract is about $1 million a year.  That's not a whole bunch in NFL money.  My bet is he gets close to the $12 million bonus with very small annual salaries in the first year or two.

897963[/snapback]

I think that could be a pretty accurate assessment.

I am listening to espn radio 1250 online now. They are having Mortenson on next to talk about Ward

edited to add Mortenson's comments on the Ward situation.

Mortenson didn't say a lot on the radio.

He reported, as said by captainhook earlier in the thread, that without a new contract Ward isnt reporting.

Mort said that Ward is unique to the Steelers in that Ward is more valuable to the Steelers than he would be for another team because he fits into the Steelers scheme. He said Ward could expect approx 10 Mil in signing bonus money.

Mort said he feels that the Steelers will do the right thing and will get something done and wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the next 72 hours.

Edited by max

897930[/snapback]

WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer

Pro Bowler would have been highest-paid player in team history

Thursday, July 28, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Although they have not yet signed Hines Ward to a contract extension, the Steelers at least are trying to fulfill a promise to make their Pro Bowl wide receiver a priority.

The Steelers made Ward an offer that would make him the highest-paid player in their history, a contract that may include their highest signing bonus, according to a source close to the negotiations.

So far, Ward and his agents have turned them down.

The source told the Post-Gazette the offer also would put Ward among a tier of receivers just below several of the highest paid in the league.

The deal would include a signing bonus higher than the $8.1 million quarterback Kordell Stewart received in 1999. Although quarterback Ben Roethlisberger reportedly received a $9 million signing bonus as part of his rookie contract, some analysts peg it closer to $7.8 million in what technically would be a true signing bonus. But even if it were $9 million, the bonus the Steelers have offered Ward is close to it. No other contract details, including length and total, were provided.

Ward and his agents have countered in negotiations that the four-time Pro Bowler should be paid relative to where he ranks among NFL receivers and not based on what the Steelers have paid their players in the past. A number of receivers the past several years have received signing bonuses of more than $10 million. His agents, Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes, have taken a stance that Ward should be paid among the best wide receivers in the game, although they have not asked for him to be the highest paid.

Ward, who has one year left at $1,668,750 on a contract he signed in the summer of 2001, made the past four Pro Bowls and shattered many of the Steelers receiving records during that time. Three times he surpassed the Steelers' previous record of 85 receptions in a season with a high of 112 in 2002. His 505 career receptions are second only to John Stallworth's 537 in club history.

Ward, who lives in Atlanta, is scheduled to make a promotional appearance today in Pittsburgh and also was to talk to some coaches about his situation. Parker has declined to predict whether Ward will report to training camp on time Sunday.

Everywhere except in Pittsburg apparently.  :D

897613[/snapback]

Club, oddly enough Dwight Clark was just on ESPN Radio and was asked "Who would you rather have, Randy Moss or Terrell Owens ? " His answer..... "Hines Ward". He also made the statement that Hines Ward is the best all-around Wide Receiver in the NFL.

Club, oddly enough Dwight Clark was just on ESPN Radio and was asked "Who would you rather have, Randy Moss or Terrell Owens ?  "  His answer.....  "Hines Ward".  He also made the statement that Hines Ward is the best all-around Wide Receiver in the NFL.

899697[/snapback]

Key phrase is "all-around". I wouldn't totally disagree with him. Ward can do everything and something that is more important than people think: blocking.

just an update from kffl.com....

Steelers | Ward Watch Begins

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:58:25 -0700

Joe Bendel, of the Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers WR Hines Ward could be fined as much as $6,000 per day should he follow through with his threats to hold out if he does not receive a long-term contract extension that pays him like a top receiver in the league. Ward has threatened to sit out the entire year, which wouldn't help his cause because he'd remain the property of the Steelers for 2006. Historically, Pittsburgh does not negotiate extensions if a player fails to show for training camp.

Ward and his agents have countered in negotiations that the four-time Pro Bowler should be paid relative to where he ranks among NFL receivers and not based on what the Steelers have paid their players in the past. A number of receivers the past several years have received signing bonuses of more than $10 million. His agents, Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes, have taken a stance that Ward should be paid among the best wide receivers in the game, although they have not asked for him to be the highest paid.

899498[/snapback]

Unlike TO Ward played for a lot less than many because he honored his contract. I wil be surprised if h holds out, but they will have to pay him. His numbers would be better for another team. It is not his fault the Steelers are a running team.

Pay him. He is one of the best.

Adding

Historically, the Steelers refuse to negotiate extensions if a player fails to show up for camp. Ward, who is seeking significant guaranteed money (likely more than $8 million), ranked 37th among NFL receivers last season based on salary cap value.

"I don't think that's fair," Ward said.

Edited by Randall

Here is the latest info on Ward. Here is a clip of the article. I attached the link for those that want to see the rest of the article.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN...LATE=sports.htm

Jul 31, 11:14 PM EDT

Steelers Receiver Hines Ward Holds Out

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -- Hines Ward became the Pittsburgh Steelers' first major holdout in 12 years Sunday, keeping his promise not to report to training camp without a contract extension that would make him one of the NFL's top-paid wide receivers.

Once Ward missed the reporting deadline, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said negotiations were over until Ward shows up - something the four-time Pro Bowl receiver has insisted that he won't do without a new deal.

Ward, with one year remaining on a contract worth $1.66 million this season, apparently has two choices: End his holdout and continue talks, as Steelers Pro Bowl running back Barry Foster did in 1993, or sit out the season, as three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Mike Merriweather did in 1988.

Several teammates made impassioned pleas for the team to re-sign Ward, with linebacker Joey Porter saying the Steelers "can't win without him." And Colbert himself seemed uncomfortable talking about a missing player he often has cited for his unselfishness and team-first attitude

Edited by max