[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hines Ward

max

The article below is from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It states there may be a possibility of a holdout. If it does actually happen I don't think it will be a long holdout. (atleast I hope it won't be a log holdout) ...

Ward seeks contract discussion

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With talks for a new contract going nowhere, Hines Ward plans to pay a visit to the Steelers' offices this week to discuss his situation with his coaches and possibly management.

Agent Eugene Parker declined to say yesterday whether Ward would report to training camp with the rest of his teammates Sunday night at St. Vincent College in Latrobe. Parker would not discuss the negotiations between himself and the Steelers on a contract extension for Ward, who is signed through the 2005 season. The Steelers also declined comment.

Ward planned to boycott the start of training camp a year ago to protest his contract situation, but changed his mind after coach Bill Cowher placed a phone call to him a day before camp opened. Ward will earn a salary of $1,668,750 this season -- the same as '04 -- on a contract he signed before the 2001 season.

Ward has made the past four Pro Bowls -- more than any Steelers receiver in history -- and he eclipsed the Steelers previous record of 85 receptions in a season three times. Yet his salary cap value of $2,171,950 last season ranked 37th among the NFL's wide receivers.

Ward, 29, does not necessarily want to be the highest-paid receiver in the game but wants to be among them, according to a source close to him.

Randy Moss led the parade of wide receivers last season with a salary cap value of $8,882,727, with Marvin Harrison second at just over $8 million. Only three other receivers topped the $7 million salary cap list in 2004 -- Isaac Bruce, Eric Moulds and Terrell Owens.

After Ward made waves about his relatively low pay last year, Steelers president Art Rooney publicly promised to make him a priority in 2005.

"We said he'd be our priority and that's still the case," Rooney said at the NFL meetings in March. "In terms of signings, I would expect that should be our big signing."

Yet five days before players report to camp, not only is there no contract, there has been little progress. Roosevelt Barnes, Parker's associate, spoke with the Steelers yesterday about Ward, the first time in about a month any talks took place at all between them. No progress was reported. Barnes also represents Steelers draft picks in the second and third rounds, Bryant McFadden and Trai Essex, both still unsigned.

The Steelers have not had a player under contract boycott camp in the past decade. Last year, Plaxico Burress skipped a mandatory May minicamp and all of the team's voluntary spring workouts but reported to training camp on time. He turned down an offer from the team last summer and signed with the Giants as a free agent this year after the Steelers made no contract offer after the season ended.

Steelers players have signed contract negotiations during camp and, at times, right up to the start of the season. The Steelers have a stated policy that they will not negotiate contract extensions once the regular season begins unless the sides are close enough that a deal is imminent.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mortenson on ESPN said that Ward WILL NOT report, and that Cowher will not be able to change his mind like last year.  He wants a new deal. . .

896728[/snapback]

wow. i hope they get it worked out because i've always had respect for ward and for pittsburgh.

I think if Rooney didnt state that "Signing Ward would be an offseason priority" he would be less likely to hold out. The Rooney's have always honored their word. I think that it playing a role in the possibility of a holdout. Hopefully they can get something done soon.

Edited by max

I would be shocked if he didn't report.  He seems like a hard worker and I think it would be way out of character for him to do this.  He is nothing like TO or Walker in the way he would handle this.

896671[/snapback]

Yeah, but if there's someone who is truly justified to holdout, it's Hines. IMO, he has every right to holdout without being ridiculed by the media and fans. The owners promised compensation and if they don't deliver F em.

Player: I'd like to get a raise.

Owner: I agree; you deserve a raise.

Player: It's time to start playing again and I didn't get the raise you said I deserved. Maybe I should stay home until we get this figured out.

vs.

Player: I'd deserve a raise.

Owner: You'll take what you've got, and like it!

Player: Screw you; I'm the best there is! Maybe a new group would like me more than you, anyhow! The only place I'm going is to a new city, unless you redo this crappy deal of mine.

Which one is a more justifiable position, TO or HW?

How is it a surprise? Look at all the other holdouts in the league so far. Hines Ward has been the heart and soul of this team for some time now. With Burress gone, Ward is the go to guy. He deserves "fair market value" as they call it now.

I know it has already been said, but if Ward does not get paid, he SHOULD NOT report to camp. Hines Ward is the heart and soul of this team. He is being paid as the 38th best WR in the NFL. He did what a true football player should do last year. He complained about his contract and that he was underpayed, BUT he showed up to camp on-time, worked hard (as he always does) and had another terrific year. He was promised last year and in this off-season that he would be priority # 1 to get signed, and we fans were told that one of the reason more money wasn't spent this off-season was so that they could pay Hines what he deserves. GET IT DONE !!! (In my best KJB impression from Rounders) PAY THAT MAN! PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY !!!!

I know I am a Steeler homer, but Hines Ward represents everyting that is good in this league. He was once called a dirty player, because he was always looking for someone to block or hit EVERY play. That was considered dirty and D-Backs didn't like him, because it was so rare for a player to do what Hines does on every single play. Not only is he a good player, but he teaches the young guys how they should go about their business.

P.S. HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!

:D

Steelers :D

Edited by Menudo

I know it has already been said, but if Ward does not get paid, he SHOULD NOT report to camp.  Hines Ward is the heart and soul of this team.  He is being paid as the 38th best WR in the NFL.  He did what a true football player should do last year.  He complained about his contract and that he was underpayed, BUT he showed up to camp on-time, worked hard (as he always does) and had another terrific year.  He was promised last year and in this off-season that he would be priority # 1 to get signed, and we fans were told that one of the reason more money wasn't spent this off-season was so that they could pay Hines what he deserves.  GET IT DONE !!!  (In my best KJB impression from Rounders) PAY THAT MAN!  PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY !!!! 

I know I am a Steeler homer, but Hines Ward represents everyting that is good in this league.  He was once called a dirty player, because he was always looking for someone to block or hit EVERY play.  That was considered dirty and D-Backs didn't like him, because it was so rare for a player to do what Hines does on every single play.  Not only is he a good player, but he teaches the young guys how they should go about their business. 

P.S.  HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!

Steelers  :D

896979[/snapback]

Ward deserves to be paid like the Raven killer he is. Heck, I'm sure Billick/Newsome would kick in if some other team not in the AFC North signed him away next year.

Ward deserves to be paid like the Raven killer he is.  Heck, I'm sure Billick/Newsome would kick in if some other team not in the AFC North signed him away next year.

897002[/snapback]

If I remember correctly last season in an interview Billick said something like he hates playing against Ward but would love to have him on his team. You are right on the money with your post Big Red.

I think if Rooney didnt state that "Signing Ward would be an offseason priority" he would be less likely to hold out.  The Rooney's have always honored their word.  I think that it playing  a role in the possibility of a holdout. Hopefully they can get something done soon.

896736[/snapback]

Show Hines the money. He deserves it... especially after Rooney promised it.

BTW, nice to see that Menudo ditched the annoying Hammer avatar.

it would be nice if pittsburgh would reckon the idea of a new contract for him. HE is a pretty good player and is underpaid. But its hard to argue that his best years are ahead of him. I've been doing some reasearch but he wasn't given a huge deal back in 2001. He probably received a 6 million bonus for 5 years and a total deal of 18 million or someshucks, which is less than he deserves. Whats unfortunate about the nfl compensation system is its utility. It needs to be revamped. First of all, their are too many nfl positions and players to pay everyone who demands money. Most contracts are not guaranteed (Ward wants to be paid now for what seems to be prior work. Jimmy Smith heldout in 2001 or 2002, i forget which, mainly because he felt he was underpaid for the few years prior.

He recieved a new deal but was probably lucky. The jaguars had absolutely no one who could replace him. They still had brunell under contract, a decent defense and playoff aspirations plus jimmy smith was still at a probowl level. The jaguars organization has a decent reputation. So do the Steelers. Hines should get a new contract and should hold out for one. TO definitely deserves to be paid more based on production but is such a nuisance he undervalues what he brings to an organization. He complained his way off two teams and now is trying to do the same in philly. Javon walker signed a rookie contract for 5 years. Does he deserve an extension? Of course. Is he confident the packers will give it to him. Hell no (mike mckenzie got traded for the same type of demand) Does Ed Reed deserve more money. Hell yes! Is he confident he will receive an extension? Observing how the Ravens locked up OGden, R Lewis, Peter Boulware, Chris Mcalister and todd heap gives him comfort to work as hard as he can becasue he knows will be rewarded, even if he blows out his knee or acl. This career ending injury crap should stop now. Name players who's careers were ended because of injury? Biakabutuka? Robert Edwards? There really aren't too many

I hope more people hold out for new contracts so somewhere down the road contracts are more incentive laden then they are now

300,000 for gates?

Show Hines the money.  He deserves it... especially after Rooney promised it.

BTW, nice to see that Menudo ditched the annoying Hammer avatar.

897111[/snapback]

:D Maybe I should put it back up for Ole "Two-Team" to enjoy. :D

He's got what, one year left on his current contract?

He can see the writing on the wall with Plax gone.  He's not going to get a big FA contract with the stats he'll put up this year so he needs to get this done now.

897119[/snapback]

Let me hear your stats prediction for Hines Ward. I predict his stats will not fall off and he may actually improve on them this year. The Plaxico hype is overblown. When he was out to injury last year, Randle-El stretched the field a lot more than Plex ever could. Plex had tons of potential, but he never met it. Randle-El will be one of the league's most surprising players. Also, I think that Ward would get a very nice contract in Free Agency. He is well-respected by every coach in the league and they all realize what he can do for a team with his leadership and the example he sets.

Name  players who's careers were ended because of injury? Biakabutuka? Robert Edwards? There really aren't too many

897116[/snapback]

Ki-Jana Carter? Steve Emtman? Trev Alberts? Curtis Enis? Courtney Brown? Sylvester Morris? Andy Katzenmoyer? Kyle Turley? Heath Shuler?

There are tons of guys who have career ending injuries. Those are just some first rounders off the top of my head.

Let me hear your stats prediction for Hines Ward.  I predict his stats will not fall off and he may actually improve on them this year.  The Plaxico hype is overblown.  When he was out to injury last year, Randle-El stretched the field a lot more than Plex ever could.  Plex had tons of potential, but he never met it.  Randle-El will be one of the league's most surprising players.  Also, I think that Ward would get a very nice contract in Free Agency.  He is well-respected by every coach in the league and they all realize what he can do for a team with his leadership and the example he sets.

897145[/snapback]

Whatever. He's well respected by 31 teams so they'l just fork over the cash? If the Steelers thought that to be the case they wouldn't continue to treat him like a punk. He is certainly underpaid I never disputed that and maybe he will find the endzone more with Plax gone but Plax certainly pulls more coverage away from Ward that Randle-El will, that is a gaurantee for early in the season if he earns some respect good for Ward if not he'll be lucky to match last year's stats.

I don't project stats never have but what the heck.

Best case 1100 yards 6 TDs.