[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UT #1 in 2nd BCS Poll

rbmcdonald

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so much crap.  Either one of two lucky plays go against USC, and they lose to Notre Dame.  They make a 30 yard pass completion on 4 and long, and the ball bounces out of bounds (and oh by the way, the ref blows the spot by several yards).  Maybe USC is better than UT, maybe they are not, we will see on January 4, but do not give me this, they are vastly superior crap.  If they were vastly superior, they would not have needed luck to beat Notre Dame, they would have been in control of the game before the end of the 4th quarter.  USC is college team, like any other really good college team in the past.  They are deep in talent, have some really good aspects, and a few flaws.

So am I to assume that if USC and UT make it to the same bowl this year, you will be up for a beat too?  Or does you belief in the almighty invincible USC not go that far?

1095423[/snapback]

They needed luck last year to beat UCLA. So what? Very rarely have teams gone undefeated without surviving a major scare. Give Pete Carroll a month and a half to prepare vs Mack Brown. PLEEEEEEEASE. It'll be over by halftime.

I remember reading/hearing similar superlatives for the '02 Canes and the '03 Sooners.

1095512[/snapback]

Not anyone with a brain. Well I'll give you the 02 Canes. But they were stopped by an incredible defense that was far superior to anything Texas has this year. And the 03 Sooners were exposed in a championship game alright... it was the conference championship game, which they didn't deserve to share the same field as Kansas State, let alone any kind of REAL National Championship team.

I'm just pointing out what a crock it would be if USC won out and got left out. I didn't say it WOULD happen. Learn to read. And I know exactly how the BCS works. And I watch College Football because I love College Football. Just because I (like almost everyone else) hate the BCS, doesn't mean I should stop watching. If that was the case, then guess what... you wouldn't see any packed stadiums each week, because there aren't many people who like the BCS.

1095413[/snapback]

I did not suggest that you or anyone else stop watching college football. All I suggested is that anyone that thinks the BCS is crap, should not watch the National Championship Game. I love college football, I always have. However, I have not watched the "National Championship Game" since the BCS was started. Obviously fans of the two schools involved are going to watch it, but if fans of the other 100+ Division I schools would not watch it, it wuld go away.

Ok, if you don't think USC's offense is as good or better than last year, you're dreaming. They are  on pace to break records my friend.

it just doesn't matter. No defense in college football can stop USC. Period. End of story.,,, USC is on a different level. If USC needs a stop on defense, they get it, and offensively, like I said... no one can stop them......

1095391[/snapback]

I think the reason that fans of other teams are so quick to anoint a team as invincible, is that it helps them reconcile themselves to the fact that the team they support is not doing as well as they want. As in, " well it does not matter that my team has lost 3 or 4 games, because Team X is so good, nobody can beat them.."

I have been watching College Football for 40 years, and I have seen many "Team Xs" come along. As often as they win, someone steps up and bloodies their nose.

I just hope that USC wins out, so that UT will have a chance to play them, because I understand that no College Football team is invincible. All you can hope is a chance to play the game on the field, and see who is better that day.

Edited by rbmcdonald

Well I have to agree here that Texas and USC will be in the championship and Texas will prevail. I'll make a few points then you can ream away but i'll be there in January to watch for myself. The Ohio State game was handed to the Buckeyes at the expense of the turnovers by Texas. Vince and the Horns gave them the ball 3 times inside of our 40, and all they got was 3 field goals (correct me if i'm wrong). After getting up to a quick 10-0 lead, Texas proved that if they play to their ability (which they are doing now) they can take over any game. With Ohio State being the only team to break 20 and really even be in a game vs the horns makes me wonder why you think USC is so great. Their D is terrible, and just as texas proved vs Tech, if they're not on the field, they can't dominate. There's a thing called ball control and defense here that USC hasn't had a chance to experience this year. I mean USC's offense must be darn good to let teams get halftime leads on them 3 times this year and come back, but that's against Oregon/ASU/ND ...teams that I don't consider to have great defenses. I believe that Texas will be able to put a lot more pressure on USC and in no way will the game resemble last year's spanking of OU. There's a strange vibe around here, and Vince seems to just take games over. Also note that our Defensive Coordinator is :drumroll: Chizik...the man who was DROOLING last year at the prospect of getting to play against USC but missed that chance(Auburn got burned if we all remember). He has a much better defense here in Austin, and I can't wait to see what he can do. I do also agree that if they do play, the over under is going to be over 50...should be a FUN game. (As a Texas fan, i'd rather see us get into the rose bowl vs USC than have them lose b/c of the fact that I do believe USC and Texas are on an entirely different level than other teams....va tech will not survive it's stretch coming up.) I see Georgia/Alabama/Va Tech all losing a game which puts #6 UCLA up a little before their showdown vs USC. I actually envision a scenario where UCLA is 3 going into USC game and has a shot to jump into the title game....but I think USC will win. Bring on January 4th!!!

Ohio State is not USC. Defensively, yes they are better, but offensively they aren't even close. USC went through the same chumps last year, and Notre Dame is better than anyone that Texas has on their schedule, and would probably beat Texas. Texas Tech, like I said before, defensively is terrible, and can get exposed offensively by any team that plays them physical. There receivers begin to cower after you slap them around a little bit. I would, as a Big Ten fan, love to say that Texas is the best team in the country by beating Ohio State in Columbus, but the fact is, Ohio State isn't all that great. They are great on defense but their Offense just isn't that great, and really, Ohio State shoulda won that game vs Texas. They FORCED 3 turnovers, and Hamby dropped a sure TD pass. In other words, Texas got lucky and beat an Ohio State team that really isn't as good as advertised. And sorry, but Texas Tech is a joke, and it will get proven by the end of the year.

They needed luck last year to beat UCLA. So what? Very rarely have teams gone undefeated without surviving a major scare. Give Pete Carroll a month and a half to prepare vs Mack Brown. PLEEEEEEEASE. It'll be over by halftime.

1095684[/snapback]

Assuming that USC and Texas go undefeated, which both should pretty easily then they will meet in the Rose Bowl. The only thing about USC that scares me is that Pete Carroll is a better coach than Brown. Texas has the team to beat USC, and to beat them pretty good, but I'm not sure they have the coach to do it. It will be a good game.

Shall we bring last year into this? USC beats Cal...21-17...and we know the pac-10 is solid. Then you fast forward to Cal getting made a fool of by Tech......Big 12>pac 10, Period. There's no point in this argument, so we might as well sit back and wait til january....and that dropped touchdown was knocked out by a texas player, not saying he shouldn't have caught it, but it's not like he was wide and untouched. Handing Ohio State their 2nd loss at home in 3 years...I don't think Texas got lucky in any part of that game.

EDIT: Actually....bet on next year's huddle membership along with a fantastic sig until college football kicks off next season?

Edited by Droobie42

Regardless who you cheeer for in the NC game, that game will not be showcasing the teams that are playing the game. With most teams done the last week of November, then waiting for 5 weeks to determine the champ is ridiculous. These teams got to this game playing weekly, with one week off during the season. To give them 5 weeks to prepare, study, get soft, lose their edge, get healthy, get hurt, whatever is a crying shame.

I thought USC would beat the Sooners in last years NC contest. But honestly, after the "regular" season, did anyone really see that blowout coming down the track?

Yeah, yeah, BCS vs. playoff - its all wasted words at this point. But having to wait from the end of November to the beginning of January to see "the game" just ruins it at so many levels, its just -- ridiculous.

Based upon who has played who to date, I think the BCS has it right.  Unfortunately for me my Horns the season didn't end this weekend.  If VT wins out, there is no doubt they will jump USC, but they could also jump Texas, and USC could go back ahead of Texas.  The rest of Texas' schedule is powder puff with the exception of A&M, and the only people that realize A&M will be a tough opponent are those from Texas that know the history of the rivalry.

1095189[/snapback]

One of the problems with the BCS is that the formula can't look at a team like USC and say "Gee, they haven't lost a game in, like, 3 seasons".

These debates are funny, because it's all chest puffing. The truth is that until someone actually beats USC, none of this matters. They are the top team in most people's eyes until someone knocks them off.

I just don't see it. Maybe I'm blind, but Texas just doesn't have that "killer" defense, that is needed to stop USC's Offense. By Killer defense I mean, 03' LSU defense or 02' Ohio State. Sorry, Texas is good, but they haven't shown anything to prove that there defense even comes close to those defenses, and those are the types of defenses needed to slow this Trojan attack down. They would have to play the perfect game defensively to beat USC. We'll likely get this game, and soon all of us will know 100 % for sure. Both teams SHOULD roll through the rest of the patsies on there schedule. USC has UCLA and Cal, as the only 2 games that are somewhat of a challenge for eihter team. Texas should easily roll through the rest of their schedule.

I just don't see it. Maybe I'm blind, but Texas just doesn't have that "killer" defense, that is needed to stop USC's Offense. By Killer defense I mean, 03' LSU defense or 02' Ohio State. Sorry, Texas is good, but they haven't shown anything to prove that there defense even comes close to those defenses, and those are the types of defenses needed to slow this Trojan attack down. They would have to play the perfect game defensively to beat USC. We'll likely get this game, and soon all of us will know 100 % for sure. Both teams SHOULD roll through the rest of the patsies on there schedule. USC has UCLA and Cal, as the only 2 games that are somewhat of a challenge for eihter team. Texas should easily roll through the rest of their schedule.

1098487[/snapback]

They don't need a killer D, or the perfect defensive game to win. What they ARE capable of is getting enough key stops to get the job done. They can score plenty on SC's defense, and control clock with a slew of RBs as well. Close, high-scoring game that could go either way. I like Vince's toughness and leadership over Leinart's.

EDIT: Actually....bet on next year's huddle membership along with a fantastic sig until college football kicks off next season?

1097613[/snapback]

Forget iT Droobie, I have offered several times for these guys to make a bet, but they will not. They are real good at throwing around absolutes, like best ever, no contest, over by halftime, etc., etc., etc. If you ask them to put their money or reputation on the line, they disappear like cockroaches when the lights are turned on. I too will be at the game (hope USC does not blow before Jan 4th), UT playing anyone else will be a let down.

UT and USC both have the talent to win, so I think it will be a great one to watch.

Edited by rbmcdonald

If you expect to beat a Pete Carroll coached team that has 5 weeks to prepare, you NEED a killer D. Trust me I know, I was in Miami on January 2, 2003 and saw Carson Palmer dismantle my Hawkeyes. And I saw the supposed "fastest, most athletic" defense in the nation last year in the Sooners and saw USC pick them apart like nothing. If the game were played next Saturday... I'd say USC by 10-13. On Janury 3rd? LOL. Good luck. USC by 25+.

If you expect to beat a Pete Carroll coached team that has 5 weeks to prepare, you NEED a killer D. Trust me I know, I was in Miami on January 2, 2003 and saw Carson Palmer dismantle my Hawkeyes. And I saw the supposed "fastest, most athletic" defense in the nation last year in the Sooners and saw USC pick them apart like nothing. If the game were played next Saturday... I'd say USC by 10-13. On Janury 3rd? LOL. Good luck. USC by 25+.

1100216[/snapback]

Seasons past have zero to do with this year. And no, I won't trust you. :D

Texas by a hair. :D

No but, I see very little difference on offense from last year. Defense yes, USC isn't as good, but offensively they look as good if not better. I'm just not a believer in Texas. They haven't given me any reason to be. Ohio State isn't as good as advertised, and Texas Tech will get proven to be a joke. And I'm an Iowa fan, I would hate to say Ohio State isn't that great cuz they made my Hawks look like a joke, but that's because they are. I'm strictly an unbiased observer. USC > Texas. Vince Young is great, I think he should be the heisman winner if the Horns win out, but Texas as a team isn't as good as USC, and it will get proven if they meet on the field. I think Virginia Tech, Georgia, or Alabama would present a better test for USC than Texas would, just because there D's are superior to Texas' D. Go ahead, point out htat Bama only won 6-3. Ohio State beat Purdue 10-6 in 2002, while Miami was blowing out teams left and right. If you Horn fans don't think that a Killer Defense is needed to beat USC, then you're more nuts than I had imagined. Killer D's are usually what wins championships against Killer Offenses. Oklahoma vs Florida State in 2000. Ohio State vs Miami in 2002. LSU vs Oklahoma in 2003. And those are just our most recent examples. Seasons past don't mean anything? Prove my last statement wrong then. Texas does not have a killer D. USC vs a non killer defense = National Championship. Simple math magic.

No but, I see very little difference on offense from last year. Defense yes, USC isn't as good, but offensively they look as good if not better. I'm just not a believer in Texas. They haven't given me any reason to be. Ohio State isn't as good as advertised, and Texas Tech will get proven to be a joke. And I'm an Iowa fan, I would hate to say Ohio State isn't that great cuz they made my Hawks look like a joke, but that's because they are. I'm strictly an unbiased observer. USC > Texas. Vince Young is great, I think he should be the heisman winner if the Horns win out, but Texas as a team isn't as good as USC, and it will get proven if they meet on the field. I think Virginia Tech, Georgia, or Alabama would present a better test for USC than Texas would, just because there D's are superior to Texas' D. Go ahead, point out htat Bama only won 6-3. Ohio State beat Purdue 10-6 in 2002, while Miami was blowing out teams left and right. If you Horn fans don't think that a Killer Defense is needed to beat USC, then you're more nuts than I had imagined. Killer D's are usually what wins championships against Killer Offenses. Oklahoma vs Florida State in 2000. Ohio State vs Miami in 2002. LSU vs Oklahoma in 2003. And those are just our most recent examples. Seasons past don't mean anything? Prove my last statement wrong then. Texas does not have a killer D. USC vs a non killer defense = National Championship. Simple math magic.

1100349[/snapback]

1. I'm not a Texas fan.:D Ohio State fan here. I don't care for Texas, and don't have a rooting interest for them. My team is outta the NC race and I really couldn't care less who wins.

2. Your arguments are all subjective hyperbole including non-defined terms such as 'killer D', 'killer offense'. So there's nothing to 'prove' wrong there, nor is there any 'math magic' involved.

3. VY is a very unique athlete, who IMO can't be contained by any team in the nation completely. I was proud of the fact that my Bucks and our all-world LBs were able to take away his running threat almost completely after the initial phase of the game and fluster him into mistakes. Yet, he was able to hurt us enough through the air and win it. I think he'll be the difference-maker for the 'Horns in a hypothetical matchup with 'SC, and will get just enough contribution from his defense to win it. Leinart is a bit soft as evidenced by his whiny comments after the ASU game(not to mention that he had to be goaded into running the sneak against ND by his RB. Big-time players WANT the ball in crunch time). If Texas is able to get to him/affect him, they'll have a major advantage. I think they're capable of that.

1. I'm not a Texas fan.:D Ohio State fan here.

Come on Brian, you been here long enough to know Glabra is an OSU fan!! :D

Glabra, i'm not buying into the Texas hype whatsoever. They will disappoint the nation if their given an opportunity against USC, imo.

Beating us by 3 is not impressive in the least for a national contender to boast about :D

USC would cripple our defense and Young only had two drives the entire game. USC's offense would put so much pressure on Young to throw the ball and we all know what that spells...........I...N....T...s. It's possible they would keep it close for a bit running the ball early on, but when USC rings up 3 quick scores Texas would be in hugh trouble.

1. I'm not a Texas fan.:D Ohio State fan here. I don't care for Texas, and don't have a rooting interest for them. My team is outta the NC race and I really couldn't care less who wins.

2. Your arguments are all subjective hyperbole including non-defined terms such as 'killer D', 'killer offense'. So there's nothing to 'prove' wrong there, nor is there any 'math magic' involved.

3. VY is a very unique athlete, who IMO can't be contained by any team in the nation completely. I was proud of the fact that my Bucks and our all-world LBs were able to take away his running threat almost completely after the initial phase of the game and fluster him into mistakes. Yet, he was able to hurt us enough through the air and win it. I think he'll be the difference-maker for the 'Horns in a hypothetical matchup with 'SC, and will get just enough contribution from his defense to win it. Leinart is a bit soft as evidenced by his whiny comments after the ASU game(not to mention that he had to be goaded into running the sneak against ND by his RB. Big-time players WANT the ball in crunch time). If Texas is able to get to him/affect him, they'll have a major advantage. I think they're capable of that.

1101301[/snapback]

IMO this is a great post and one that I thought was worth the time to read. You can argue that USC is better or not, or who the two best teams are, and all that is fine. I just get so sick of people jumping on the band wagon of the “invincible” team of the day.

If UT and USC play, I think UT will win, just my opinion. Cetainly they are going to have to play thier A game, but I think they can do that. If you think that I am wrong, then fine. Propose a bet for me. I will consider any resonable proposal.

sick of people jumping on the band wagon of the “invincible” team of the day.

:D Yeah!! USC is just the "invincible" team of the day :D

Try 3 years, you f'ing moron! :D

No one i see is jumping on any bandwagon, 'cept you! You still haven't told anyone who YOUR team is :D