[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dumb and Dumber?

Rovers

The High 5

1. Jets 28.0 - bad  4-12 team

2. Eagles 26.9 - bad 6-10 team

3. Rams 26.1 - bad 6-10 team

4. Seahawks 26.0 - playoff 13-3 team

5. Texans 25.6 - bad 2- 14 team

The Low 5

32. Jaguars 18.6 - playoff 12-4 team

31. Titans 19.0 - bad 4-12 team

30. Bengals 19.0 - playoff 11-5 team

29. Chiefs 19.3 - good 10-6 team

28. Cowboys 19.3 good 9-7 team

:D  What does that tell you about wonderlic scores.

1458246[/snapback]

And last year's record has what to do with these rookies that were in college last year?

I posted this mostly as a fishing trip.... the draft is over and things are slow! But.... I wonder if bad teams that are rebuilding put more value on prospects that are smart football players? I know the Jets put a big emphasis on this in their draft decisions this year, saying they were looking for smart high character guys, and trying to establish a new team "culture". Five of the ten kids the Jets drafted were team captains in college. They drafted with this philosophy almost to a fault.

I think more established teams, that have a recent history of winning are more likely to take kids with what's often called "character" issues, be it poor academic performance, or scrapes with the law. The team culture and work ethic, namely winning, is established.

I think the Jets will be more likely to draft "flagged" players down the road, when the culture and work ethic for the team has been established, but in a rebuild mode, they put a higher priority on smarts and character.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And last year's record has what to do with these rookies that were in college last year?

I posted this mostly as a fishing trip.... the draft is over and things are slow! But.... I wonder if bad teams that are rebuilding put more value on prospects that are smart football players? I know the Jets put a big emphasis on this in their draft decisions this year, saying they were looking for smart high character guys, and trying to establish a new team "culture". Five of the ten kids the Jets drafted were team captains in college. They drafted with this philosophy almost to a fault.

I think more established teams, that have a recent history of winning are more likely to take kids with what's often called "character" issues, be it poor academic performance, or scrapes with the law. The team culture and work ethic, namely winning, is established.

I think the Jets will be more likely to draft "flagged" players down the road, when the culture and work ethic for the team has been established, but in a rebuild mode, they put a higher priority on smarts and character.

1458370[/snapback]

Talk about Not knowing your audience! How will Jets fans relate to "high character" guys? Lets face it, your typical Jet fan will make Vince Young's test score on the Wonderlic look like the curve buster. This is not the fan base that is looking for character and smarts. Derelicts and mongoloids would be more along their speed...

Five of the ten kids the Jets drafted were team captains in college. They drafted with this philosophy almost to a fault.

1458370[/snapback]

This is something the Steelers have used to move guys up their list for years, Cowher has admitted as much. Most, not all teams, have their captains elected by the team. It says a great deal for a kid to be named a captain by his peers. It shows that he is the kind of player that gains respect from his teammates. I don't think it should be an end-all measure when drafting, but, if you have two players ranked similarily, character can be the deciding factor.

The Jets got a high score because their first 2 picks both in the first round were OL and OL guys tend to score the highest. If the Jets needed D then they wouldn't be at the top of this list. I'm not saying they weren't looking for character guys or anything but the needs for the Jets dictated a high ranking here.

1458370[/snapback]

:D

It says that successful teams are not necessarily scouted and built on Wonderlic scores. I thought that would be obvious.

:D

It says that successful teams are not necessarily scouted and built on Wonderlic scores.  I thought that would be obvious.

1458448[/snapback]

That was pretty much my point.... winning teams have already establised a winning culture. They can better deal with drafting "flagged" players than a bad team that doesn't have a winning mentality already. If you want to rebuild, smart character guys are the way to go. Once the work ethic and team first mentality is established, then potential "problem" players have to come in and fit in.

Building a team around turds like Pacman Jones isn't a good blueprint.

Here's a classic example. Belichick estblished his team's identity first. Smart, team first guys like Bruschi etc.... then you can get a "problem" player like Dillon was. He's been a role model at NE, while before that, he was definitely a problem. In order to fit in, he had to behave. Some guys never buck up.... like Burress in Pittsburgh. Terrell Davis never "got it" at NE, and they tossed his butt out the door.

For a rebuilding team, character and smarts SHOULD be somewhat over valued.

Here's a classic example. Belichick estblished his team's identity first. Smart, team first guys like Bruschi etc.... then you can get a "problem" player like Dillon was. He's been a role model at NE, while before that, he was definitely a problem. In order to fit in, he had to behave. Some guys never buck up.... like Burress in Pittsburgh. Terrell Davis never "got it" at NE, and they tossed his butt out the door. 

1458462[/snapback]

David Terrell????

Some guys never buck up.... like Burress in Pittsburgh. Terrell Davis never "got it" at NE, and they tossed his butt out the door. 

1458462[/snapback]

I thought Terrell Davis played his whole career for the Broncos. :D

Yeah, so Harvard and MIT should be top 20 teams every year, right?

How smart do you want your football players to be?  I'd want 'em smart enough to understand the playbook, but dumb enough to be willing to sacrifice their bodies on a repeated basis, e.g. John Lynch & Ronnie Lott.

1457495[/snapback]

Well said. If Vince comes into the league and tears it up like he's capable of, nobody will care about his wunderlich score.

Talk about Not knowing your audience!  How will Jets fans relate to "high character" guys?  Lets face it, your typical Jet fan will make Vince Young's test score on the Wonderlic look like the curve buster.  This is not the fan base that is looking for character and smarts.  Derelicts and mongoloids would be more along their speed...

1458380[/snapback]

If teams drafted solely with their fan base in mind, then the Titans would have selected livestock over Vince Young.

If teams drafted solely with their fan base in mind, then the Titans would have selected livestock over Vince Young.

1458685[/snapback]

True! And they would still be smarter than the average Jets fan... :D

Chris Berman: ...And now we see Titans' GM Jeff Spain headed up to the podium, he's giving an envelope to the Commissioner, who is now approaching the microphone...

Paul Tagliabue: With the 4th pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the Tennessee Titans select Bessie the Cow, offensive lineperson, from Montana State University.

Chris Berman: Well, I'm a little surprised by this one, I thought the Titans might go quarterback here. Bessie is not the most mobile player out there, and alot of pundits felt she could have been had several rounds later, but Spain did tell us he'd be bringing some unconventional thinking to the franchise's draft approach, and I'd say this qualifies. Mel?

Mel Kiper: Well, see, I'm not at all surprised by this pick. I have Bessie rated as the 8th best player in this draft and she certainly fits a need with the Titans, as they do not have any other farm animals on their roster right now. And she's a special teams maven too, we know both Jeffs Spain and Fisher value that highly when they scout prospects. But the main reason that I'm not surprised is because I had heard that Spain had Bessie into the Titans complex for a battery of tests and interviews, and apparently things went so well that they turned it into a long 3-day weekend, so I'm not really surprised to see the Titans go cow here.

Ron Jaworski: I agree Mel. Over this past weekend I was breaking down tape of every Montana State game since 1968, and this Bessie is a real talent. Plus, being an offensive lineperson she clearly scored very high on her Wonderlic test. :D And to top it off, she also served as team captain her senior season, so she scores points for character as well. She could bring some much needed leadership to a roster currently stocked with the likes of Pacman Jones and other assorted thugs. I think the two people who will benefit most from this pick are Chris Brown, who finally has a lineperson to follow into the defensive backfield, and Jeff Spain, who we suspect may see even more of Bessie's hind quarters than Chris Brown will.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

Paul Tagliabue:  With the 4th pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the Tennessee Titans select Bessie the Cow, offensive lineperson, from Montana State University.

1458728[/snapback]

And who did your Jets trade to the Titans to swap picks?

And who did your Jets trade to the Titans to swap picks?

1458753[/snapback]

Fluffy the sheep?

No, the GM of the Titans would NEVER have traded a sheep fer a cow. Unless Bessie was a tight end...... :D