[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Del Rio not happy with Taylor (May 24th)

cliaz

Despite promising coach Jack Del Rio last month that he would be in town for the team's on-field workouts, running back Fred Taylor is a no-show for this week's voluntary passing camp. Taylor was in Jacksonville for the mandatory minicamp but continues to condition on his own.

Taylor's absence isn't exactly sitting well with Del Rio, and the fact that the Jags again drafted a runner in the second round indicates they're ready to move on with life after Fred. The always-risky proposition of drafting the injury-prone back for your fantasy squad appears to have even less upside than usual this year, so plan accordingly.

Taylor's absence isn't exactly sitting well with Del Rio, and the fact that the Jags again drafted a runner in the second round indicates they're ready to move on with life after Fred.

This just cracks me up. The Jags may think they're ready to move on with life after Fred, but they're not. For the third year in a row, they've blown a low round draft pick on a runner that wasn't projected to be a NFL starter, so now they've got a stable of career backup RBs to go with their stable of career backup QBs and career backup WRs.

(Yes, I'm calling Leftwich a career backup. Tim Couch and Joey Harrington got to start a few seasons too before their respective teams finally gave up and decided it was time to cut their losses.)

Del Rio is one of the best defensive coordinators in football, but he desperately needs someone that has a clue on the offensive side of the ball. (And no, Mike Tice isn't exactly what I had in mind.)

BTW, this is coming from a Jags homer. The 12-4 record didn't impress me anymore than it did the Patriots in the first round of last year's playoffs.

Edited by tomfin2000

This just cracks me up.  The Jags may think they're ready to move on with life after Fred, but they're not.  For the third year in a row, they've blown a low round draft pick on a runner that wasn't projected to be a NFL starter, so now they've got a stable of career backup RBs to go with their stable of career backup QBs and career backup WRs.

(Yes, I'm calling Leftwich a career backup.  Tim Couch and Joey Harrington got to start a few seasons too before their respective teams finally gave up and decided it was time to cut their losses.)

Del Rio is one of the best defensive coordinators in football, but he desperately needs someone that has a clue on the offensive side of the ball.  (And no, Mike Tice isn't exactly what I had in mind.)

BTW, this is coming from a Jags homer.  The 12-4 record didn't impress me anymore than it did the Patriots in the first round of last year's playoffs.

1485600[/snapback]

Leftwich has been to the playoffs. Leftwich wins games. He might not be flashy, but he does two things the other guys didnt do... Win and have the respect of the players in there lockerroom.

Leftwich has been to the playoffs.  Leftwich wins games.  He might not be flashy, but he does two things the other guys didnt do... Win and have the respect of the players in there lockerroom.

1485907[/snapback]

I personally don't think Leftwich is anything special at all, but I think his stats this upcoming year will make him look like it..Jville has a cake schedule for their offense so they are gonna sport quite a few good fantasy players . now which 1's that will be will be sorted out in camp.

Leftwich has been to the playoffs.  Leftwich wins games.  He might not be flashy, but he does two things the other guys didnt do... Win and have the respect of the players in there lockerroom.

1485907[/snapback]

Trust me, that team wins because of one reason and one reason alone: Defense.

Just ask Trent Dilfer how far a great defense can take a QB.

Edited by tomfin2000

I personally don't think Leftwich is anything special at all, but I think his stats this upcoming year will make him look like it..Jville has a cake schedule for their offense so they are gonna sport quite a few good fantasy players . now which 1's that will be will be sorted out in camp.

1485989[/snapback]

I think their schedule will mean they have a winning record... but I don't think it means they will sport quite a few good fantasy players. RBs are a mixed bag with Fragile Freddy at the helm, Lefty is solid but not spectacular, and the WRs are a toss-up. I expect most of the Jags will be bench-worthy fantasy back-up types, but not a sure starter among them. jmho

Trust me, that team wins because of one reason and one reason alone:  Defense.

Just ask Trent Dilfer how far a great defense can take a QB.

1487378[/snapback]

I did and Trent said hell yeah!

This just cracks me up.  The Jags may think they're ready to move on with life after Fred, but they're not.  For the third year in a row, they've blown a low round draft pick on a runner that wasn't projected to be a NFL starter, so now they've got a stable of career backup RBs to go with their stable of career backup QBs and career backup WRs.

(Yes, I'm calling Leftwich a career backup.  Tim Couch and Joey Harrington got to start a few seasons too before their respective teams finally gave up and decided it was time to cut their losses.)

Del Rio is one of the best defensive coordinators in football, but he desperately needs someone that has a clue on the offensive side of the ball.  (And no, Mike Tice isn't exactly what I had in mind.)

BTW, this is coming from a Jags homer.  The 12-4 record didn't impress me anymore than it did the Patriots in the first round of last year's playoffs.

1485600[/snapback]

+1.....+2......+3......

I've always said that even if the Jags had 5 Tony Bosellis in front of him, Leftwich

would still end up on his back. Immobile is an understatement! I love David Garrard. Tomfin has a point that the D rules the roost in J-ville.

Wasn't there an article somewhere a week or two ago about Freddy going the discipline route, getting his weight down by eating right and working out? Why make a big deal out of this if you're the coach? The guy's a veteran. That article said he was slim and in good shape. Why not leave well enough alone? :D

Wasn't there an article somewhere a week or two ago about Freddy going the discipline route, getting his weight down by eating right and working out?  Why make a big deal out of this if you're the coach?  The guy's a veteran.  That article said he was slim and in good shape.  Why not leave well enough alone?  :D

1487948[/snapback]

I doubt the coach called up some reporter to complain about taylor. Take this fwiw...some dweeb with a pen trying to drum up controversy.

That's not the point...

1487683[/snapback]

I was being a little sarcastic. My point is, we don't have to take every blurb from someone writting as gospel. I know it's summer and we need something to talk about but, I don't think Taylor missing a voluntary work out would put his job at risk. Especially if he's in shape and working on his own. He's showing he wants to be in shape and ready by doing what he's doing.

I was being a little sarcastic. My point is, we don't have to take every blurb from someone writting as gospel. I know it's summer and we need something to talk about but...

1488189[/snapback]

Truer words were never spoken. :D

There is an astounding amount of non-news that comes out and it is always a challenge to tweak rankings correctly without buying into empty hype or rampant speculation.

Truer words were never spoken.  :D

There is an astounding amount of non-news that comes out and it is always a challenge to tweak rankings correctly without buying into empty hype or rampant speculation.

1488423[/snapback]

That makes players go cheaper than they should. U let the cat out the bag now.