[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Huddle's Top Ten WR Preview

DMD

In all my 18 years playing fantasy football I have never seen this. Tier one has eight players and I would love to have any one of them. While they are obviously ordered, I could make the case that any one of them should be #1 or #8.

There are no clear cut top WR this year.

TIER 1

1 Holt, Torry

2 Johnson, Chad

3 Moss, Randy

4 Smith, Steve

5 Owens, Terrell

6 Boldin, Anquan

7 Fitzgerald, Larry

8 Harrison, Marvin

TIER 2

9 Wayne, Reggie

10 Driver, Donald

Consider why tier one is so hard to nail down:

Holt, Torry - New offense

Johnson, Chad - Palmer may be gimpy

Moss, Randy - New QB and offense

Smith, Steve - Should have better RB and WR around him, comes off magic year

Owens, Terrell - New team, offense and QB, injury prone

Boldin, Anquan - New rushing game, injury prone-ish

Fitzgerald, Larry - New rushing game, Boldin could be healthy all year, not the primary possession guy

Harrison, Marvin - New rushing game and has been declining

I am in no major rush to get one over the other here, but I always want at least one of these WR.

This list is final, at least until I think about it more because I can justify moving any one of them up or down.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all my 18 years playing fantasy football I have never seen this. Tier one has eight players and I would love to have any one of them. While they are obviously ordered, I could make the case that any one of them should be #1 or #8.

There are no clear cut top WR this year.

TIER 1

1 Holt, Torry

2 Johnson, Chad

3 Moss, Randy

4 Smith, Steve

5 Owens, Terrell

6 Boldin, Anquan

7 Fitzgerald, Larry

8 Harrison, Marvin

TIER 2

9 Wayne, Reggie

10 Driver, Donald

Consider why tier one is so hard to nail down:

Holt, Torry - New offense

Johnson, Chad - Palmer may be gimpy

Moss, Randy - New QB and offense

Smith, Steve - Should have better RB and WR around him, comes off magic year

Owens, Terrell - New team, offense and QB, injury prone

Boldin, Anquan - New rushing game, injury prone-ish

Fitzgerald, Larry - New rushing game, Boldin could be healthy all year, not the primary possession guy

Harrison, Marvin - New rushing game and has been declining

I am in no major rush to get one over the other here, but I always want at least one of these WR.

This list is final, at least until I think about it more because I can justify moving any one of them up or down.

Donald Driver over Chris Chambers ???? :D

I agree. I think Chambers will be in the top 10 and I certainly have him ranked higher than Driver.

Which player had the most 100 yard games last year? Chambers (3) vs Driver (5)

Chambers -

2005 = 1118 yards, 11 TDs

2004 = 898 yards, 7 TD

Driver -

2005 = 1221 yards, 5 TDs

2004 = 1208 yards and 9 TD

Chambers had a three game spree near the end of the season that provided 460 yards and three scores. His yardage total was vastly helped by his 238 yard game against BUF. Without it he would have once again been under 1000 yards on the season.

Driver went through a nightmare season last year in GB the same as Chambers did in 2004 in MIA. The year that Chambers had in 2005 was right in line with all his seasons other than the one monster game (best in NFL last year).

Going into this year, Driver works with Brett Favre for the 8th consecutive season. Chambers will be catching passes from Culpepper unless he is not able to start the year from his shredded knee in which case Chambers will working with Joey Harrington for "X" games and then Culepper.

Neither CPpep or Harrington have ever thrown a pass to Chambers. Driver has almost 330 catches from Favre.

Both teams will have new offenses of sorts. GB will have McCarthy installing a similar scheme and you know that Favre will just do what Favre does anyway. MIA claims it will use the same offense though they lost OC Scott Linehan. Now Mike Mularkey takes over the playbook and I personally see that differently because Linehan is VERY good at offense.

Mularkey in BUF for two years had offenses that never threw for more than 3000 yards in a season. When he was an OC in PIT for three years, he had two seasons of around 3350 passing yards and 17 TDs and then one season with 4000 passing yards and 26 passing scores in 2002 when PIT went to their ill-conceived passing attack (by Mularkey no less) and their rshing game went into the crapper same as their season (best RB that year was Zereoue with 762 rushing yards).

The Linehan system in MIA worked towards the end of last year and was quarterbacked by Gus Frerotte who followed Linehan over from MIN and was already versed in the system. Now Linehan is gone and so is Frerotte and with that a "do over" without the mastermind of the offense there. Or a QB that knows the system.

Driver has fallen on many boards because of a horrific 2005 season for GB that still saw Driver turn in 1221 yards. A magic year in MIA with one monster game only got Chambers 1118 yards. The biggest thing that Chambers has going for him, IMO, is that he had a nice ending to the season with his three game spurt and that is what people remember last. I see much more risk with Chambers than Driver. Much more risk. And history says that Chambers is about a 900 yard per season WR when he is not benefitting from a system that started to take hold last year and that now is missing the QB and OC that made it happen.

Chambers is not far behind in my rankings, but his ranking reflects who he has been for 5 years and what his situation is for 2006, not a hot streak for three games last year that seem unlikely to repeat.

Man. I just love this stuff.

Chambers -

2004 = 898 yards, 7 TD

Driver -

2005 = 1221 yards, 5 TDs

Chambers had a three game spree near the end of the season that provided 460 yards and three scores. His yardage total was vastly helped by his 238 yard game against BUF. Without it he would have once again been under 1000 yards on the season.

Driver went through a nightmare season last year in GB the same as Chambers did in 2004 in MIA. The year that Chambers had in 2005 was right in line with all his seasons other than the one monster game (best in NFL last year).

Going into this year, Driver works with Brett Favre for the 8th consecutive season. Chambers will be catching passes from Culpepper unless he is not able to start the year from his shredded knee in which case Chambers will working with Joey Harrington for "X" games and then Culepper.

Neither CPpep or Harrington have ever thrown a pass to Chambers. Driver has almost 330 catches from Favre.

Both teams will have new offenses of sorts. GB will have McCarthy installing a similar scheme and you know that Favre will just do what Favre does anyway. MIA claims it will use the same offense though they lost OC Scott Linehan. Now Mike Mularkey takes over the playbook and I personally see that differently because Linehan is VERY good at offense.

Mularkey in BUF for two years had offenses that never threw for more than 3000 yards in a season.

The Linehan system in MIA worked towards the end of last year and was quarterbacked by Gus Frerotte who followed Linehan over from MIN and was already versed in the system. Now Linehan is gone and so is Frerotte and with that a "do over" without the mastermind of the offense there. Or a QB that knows the system.

Driver has fallen on many boards because of a horrific 2005 season for GB that still saw Driver turn in 1221 yards. A magic year in MIA with one monster game only got Chambers 1118 yards. The biggest thing that Chambers has going for him, IMO, is that he had a nice ending to the season with his three game spurt and that is what people remember last. I see much more risk with Chambers than Driver. Much more risk. And history says that Chambers is about a 900 yard per season WR when he is not benefitting from a system that started to take hold last year and that now is missing the QB and OC that made it happen.

Chambers is not far behind in my rankings, but his ranking reflects who he has been for 5 years and what his situation is for 2006, not a hot streak for three games last year that seem unlikely to repeat.

C

Chambers -

2004 = 898 yards, 7 TD

Driver -

2005 = 1221 yards, 5 TDs

Mularkey in BUF for two years had offenses that never threw for more than 3000 yards in a season. When he was an OC in PIT for three years, he had two seasons of around 3350 passing yards and 17 TDs and then one season with 4000 passing yards and 26 passing scores in 2002 when PIT went to their ill-conceived passing attack (by Mularkey no less) and their rshing game went into the crapper same as their season (best RB that year was Zereoue with 762 rushing yards).

Very good arguments DMD, and there are question marks surrounding Chambers. I just see him as a guy who has tons of talents, who was just waiting to explode at some point. I feel at the end of the year, he started to realize his potential and I expect him to be a Top 10 receiver this year. However, I've been wrong before...... :D

What's the feeling on Javon Walker?

Phil has a great writeup about Walker in his injury report.

He is returning from ACL surgery and still has not done much more than run straightline plus he had a setback in April.

I love Walker longterm but for this year in a new offense, with Plummer and coming back from an ACL injury? Have yet to be in a draft that someone else didn't like him a lot more than I do.

Wasn't everyone questioning DMD on his ranking of Steve Smith last year?

How was Steve Smith last year?

I am in my happy place now.

A buddy and I were talking about this earlier this week. It seems like a year in which a 12 team redraft prolly goes 6-8 RB's for starters, then TO, SS and CJ go near the end of the 1st/top 2nd followed by another handful of RB's (the teams who took the WR's first) then a run of prolly 5-6 WR's straight until the nxt tier of RBs. Drop Manning inthere from picks 8-14 and you've pretty much got the first 2 rounds.

Also, Hines Ward is an omission and should prolly be around Wayne.

Edited by Pope Flick

There are players I might want over Driver and Wayne, like Burress, Ward, and maybe Mason being reunited with McNair (probably not...but we'll wee how the preseason develops), but not so much that I think there is a convincing ranking arguement.

Very good arguments DMD, and there are question marks surrounding Chambers. I just see him as a guy who has tons of talents, who was just waiting to explode at some point. I feel at the end of the year, he started to realize his potential and I expect him to be a Top 10 receiver this year. However, I've been wrong before...... :D

This is essentially how I feel too.

However, thanks for the indepth analysis DMD. You da Man!! :D

Would you allow for the possibility that you have 8 WRs in the first tier because in part it is form following function?

By that I mean, when all the mocks have 12-14 RBs taken before anyone else, or 20 out of the first 24 picks being RBs, having eight WRs in the first tier allows the justification to make no other move than to draft 2 RBs with your first two picks, perhaps even your first three -- by doing that, you still have a "Tier 1" wr to take in the third or fourth round.

If nothing else, putting 8 WRs in the first tier will make for some mighty boring huddle mock draft analysis this season -- something I've always enjoyed and learned from. You haven't posted your QB rankings yet, but I'm guessing that with 8 WRs in the first tier, the only non-RB you could justify taking with the first 20 or so picks is Manning.

Just on first view, and having NOT thought about it yet, I see four WRs in the first tier, and one of those is in your second tier (I am looking forward to your analysis on why you have Harrison over Wayne). You're right that they all have issues, but some issues are outweighed by the potential given their situation, at least for first-tier considerations.

I do like the call on Driver.