[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos possibly interested in T Jones

Jackass

I guess Denver isn't thrilled about their options after all.

In an apparent effort to address a tailback position that features plenty of depth but no proven starter, the Denver Broncos recently approached the Chicago Bears about the availability of six-year veteran runner Thomas Jones, ESPN.com has learned.

The bait dangled by the Broncos in their efforts to upgrade at tailback: Disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who boycotted the team's offseason workouts and who may not report to camp when the Broncos begin practicing on Friday.

Denver was rebuffed by the Bears but the inquiry offers at least circumstantial evidence that the Broncos may not feel comfortable with their options at tailback. Ironically, Jones suffered a strained hamstring on Thursday as he was taking a pre-training camp exam and the Bears placed him on the league's physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

Chicago officials said Jones will be evaluated daily. Because he is on the active PUP list, Jones can begin practicing in camp as soon as he passes a physical.

The Broncos released veteran tailback Mike Anderson, their leading rusher in 2005, for salary cap reasons this spring, and he signed with the Baltimore Ravens as a free agent. That left Denver with three tailbacks -- former Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne, speedster Tatum Bell and second-year veteran Cedric Cobbs -- vying for playing time. Denver officials have said they are satisfied with that group, but the inquiry about Jones might indicate otherwise.

The top three backs on the Broncos' depth chart have totaled only 15 regular-season starts. Dayne, the most experienced of the trio, has started only three games in the last four seasons and has logged just 105 carries over the past three years. Bell has only one career start and Cobbs has appeared in just four outings.

A first-round pick of the Cardinals in 2000, Jones has resurrected his career since leaving Arizona after the 2002 season and has been especially productive since signing with the Bears in 2004. In Jones' two years in Chicago, he has rushed for 2,283 yards and 16 touchdowns and in 2005 became the only Bears player besides Walter Payton to gain 1,300 yards in a season.

Bears officials said earlier this week that Jones and last year's first-round choice, Cedric Benson, would rotate at tailback. But the hamstring injury suffered Thursday figures to sideline Jones for a few days and might give Denver officials pause about making another effort to pry him free. Jones has two years left on his contract, at base salaries of $2.25 million each in 2006 and 2007, and would like to have his contract enhanced. It's believed that Jones, 28, would welcome a trade.

Link? Who's the author? If it is Schefler, you can pretty much completely ignore this, as he never verifies his stories and often uses "unnamed sources" as a way of getting his pure speculation into the paper.

As far as I have heard here, there has been NO talk of any trade for any RB right now from any source here, most importantly the credible sources like Jeff Legwold & Bill Williamson.

If DEN were going to make a move because they didn't like the backfield, I suspect they would have made the move already, before the start of camp. Now, if injuries start taking a toll, it may force a move, but right now I'd be very surprised if DEN didn't go with what they have on the roster right now - and turn in yet another top rushing year.

interesting but it doesn't even sound like a Denver-Shanahan-like move.

Not sure about his contract status but I doubt Denver would go after a guy who would want the amount that T.Jones would fetch given his production.

Nevermind the fact that why would Chicago do something like this. With as much as they run the ball, why would Chicago deplete their depth at RB and acquire such a bum WR?

interesting but it doesn't even sound like a Denver-Shanahan-like move.

Not sure about his contract status but I doubt Denver would go after a guy who would want the amount that T.Jones would fetch given his production.

Nevermind the fact that why would Chicago do something like this. With as much as they run the ball, why would Chicago deplete their depth at RB and acquire such a bum WR?

:D

I am not saying this is true or will come to pass, but the Bears also like Adrian Peterson a lot and consider him in the same sentence with Benson and Jones. So they do feel they have three legitimate RB's right now. They also really want a #2 wideout and Muhammad is getting old and Mark Bradley is returning from a knee injury (top of my head).

Placing Jones on the PUP - which is done by the team - could be a way to keep him from getting an injury that would diminish his trade value.

Again - I am NOT saying this is happening or is highly likely, but the situation on both teams does fall into line with the fact that it could happen.

I am not saying this is true or will come to pass, but the Bears also like Adrian Peterson a lot and consider him in the same sentence with Benson and Jones. So they do feel they have three legitimate RB's right now. They also really want a #2 wideout and Muhammad is getting old and Mark Bradley is returning from a knee injury (top of my head).

Placing Jones on the PUP - which is done by the team - could be a way to keep him from getting an injury that would diminish his trade value.

Again - I am NOT saying this is happening or is highly likely, but the situation on both teams does fall into line with the fact that it could happen.

Good info here.

I was leaning to the theory that the Bears were protecting his trade value by placing him the PUP list. Yes, I own TJones in a dynasty league and I would rather see him in Denver than in Chicago, even with the crowded backfield that they have. Even though SHanny is up-n-down with RB carries, I think that Jones would do well there.

I got Jones in a league and it would be great to see that happen purely from a fantasy aspect. I'm not sure exactly what to think of Lelie though. I like his ability to strectch the field, but I also like our chances with Bradley. I think the guy is going to be a stud (that is, if he comes back fully from the ACL injury). Lelie was one of those I always targeted in fantasy drafts but he just never panned out.

As a Bears fan, it is very hard for me to say it is the right thing to trade Jones. The guys is a stud, plain and simple and I feel bad for this crap he is going through here in Chicago.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but as a Bears fan I would be very surprised if a Jones/Lelie deal were to take place. The Bears have always been a run first offense and they are not going to be changing that this season. Lovie Smith and the offensive staff have said many times they will use three RB's (including Adrian Peterson) but will heavily rely on Jones and Cedric Benson. Given the Bears offensive mentality, I just don't see how this deal would be of benefit. If Jones were dealt and Benson injured, I don't think the team would be thrilled with Peterson as their every down back. They have depth in what they consider their most significant position and I don't see them dealing it away for a player of Lelie's questionable skills.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but as a Bears fan I would be very surprised if a Jones/Lelie deal were to take place. The Bears have always been a run first offense and they are not going to be changing that this season. Lovie Smith and the offensive staff have said many times they will use three RB's (including Adrian Peterson) but will heavily rely on Jones and Cedric Benson. Given the Bears offensive mentality, I just don't see how this deal would be of benefit. If Jones were dealt and Benson injured, I don't think the team would be thrilled with Peterson as their every down back. They have depth in what they consider their most significant position and I don't see them dealing it away for a player of Lelie's questionable skills.

what you're saying makes sense. Jones seems to have a lot of value to chicago - unless of course he's so pissed he fakes injuries all year

I don't care how it happens or where he goes, I want Jones out of Chicago for purely selfish fantasy reasons: one less RBBC to deal with come draft day. Period.

Not interested. I like what the Bears are doing, and the last thing they should do is trade on player who shows he can be easily disgruntled with another who shows the same thing.

I want to avoid at all costs flirting with the return of a "track meet" style team that Wannstadt put together with Erik Kramer et al. That team couldn't play in Bear weather on the Lake Front. Something Wannstadt curiously forgot to consider.

Sure, the Bears have no "proven" number 2, but their OL and running game are finally in place and last yera's QB problems really led to being unable to get a good grip on the talent they do have at WR. With the addition of Griese, I'd really like to see what we have before getting rid of a proven commodity in Jones. In fact, it wasn't their Offense that failed them in the playoff game.

Last year, everyone knew the Bears couldn't pass, had to run and they succeeded quite well. With a stable QB position (hopefully) let's see waht we've got this year and do something for the position if necessary after this season.

What does Lelie do? Run deep routes and have a high ypc avg (the best, actually) the Bears as constructed don't use that type of player.

Besides, trades of this nature are very rare, even if both players are disgruntled.

I want to avoid at all costs flirting with the return of a "track meet" style team that Wannstadt put together with Erik Kramer et al. That team couldn't play in Bear weather on the Lake Front. Something Wannstadt curiously forgot to consider.

Maybe Denver would throw in Willie Gault to sweeten the deal? :D

What does Lelie do? Run deep routes and have a high ypc avg (the best, actually) the Bears as constructed don't use that type of player.

one thing i will say about lelie...i always had the feeling his "one-dimensionality" was something essentially foisted on him by the broncos coaches and how they tried to use him. they sorta locked into the idea that he was their speed guy deep threat, and that's about it. i think he has the talent to develop into a more complete receiver if he were actually USED that way. he's not a terrible route-runner, by any stretch, and if anything his hands seem to be better on the shorter, quicker stuff than on the deep bombs.

he's worn out his welcome here though by being a whiny little bisch.

I would have to agree with you. Lovie loves running backs and especially two solid ones.

I would have to agree with you. Lovie loves running backs and especially two solid ones.

yeah i don't really see that happening, though who knows.

personally, i wouldn't mind hearing those lelie/daniel graham rumors from a couple weeks ago heat back up. i'm more worried about TE than RB.