[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My two cents on Steve Smith

PantherDave

If you drafted SS thinking of last years numbers, well get the bullet removed from your foot. This team spent the off-season doing everything possible to make SS part of the overall equation and not the only answer. They upgraded the OLine to get back to a more productive and powerful running game, and believe me, Fox is gonna run it this year. They added depth at WR in Key and got Carter and Colbert a year wiser and healthier, as they knew changes had to be made, no way could or would SS reproduce the #'s of last year-was not going to happen. The DT was improved up front and this unit will control the game with feild position and that will lead to clock management/short feild and set up play-action pass. I still beleive there will be good balance on offense, but SS will only be part of a deep and talented WR corp. SS will produce and is clearly the Panthers #1, but you will not see last years #'s by a long shot-Peace PD.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you drafted SS thinking of last years numbers, well get the bullet removed from your foot. This team spent the off-season doing everything possible to make SS part of the overall equation and not the only answer. They upgraded the OLine to get back to a more productive and powerful running game, and believe me, Fox is gonna run it this year. They added depth at WR in Key and got Carter and Colbert a year wiser and healthier, as they knew changes had to be made, no way could or would SS reproduce the #'s of last year-was not going to happen. The DT was improved up front and this unit will control the game with feild position and that will lead to clock management/short feild and set up play-action pass. I still beleive there will be good balance on offense, but SS will only be part of a deep and talented WR corp. SS will produce and is clearly the Panthers #1, but you will not see last years #'s by a long shot-Peace PD.

Great post. I agree 100%. A demorilizing derfense and field position.

I stayed away from him thinking last year was a Fantasy Fluke. I think he is extremelly talented but I doubt he will repeat his numbers.

Disclaimer: I have been wrong in many situations. I do not have him on any of my teams so there is a good chance he will not get hurt and be very productive.

Ted

This IS the same Steve Smith who was a top WR, right in the thick of the tier of FF WRs below Moss & Holt in 2003, then got hurt in 2004, but bounced back to be the top FF WR by a wide margin last year - while CAR coincidentally was going 11-5 in both 2003 & 2005 while going 7-9 without him in 2004, right?

And he plays for a coach out of the SF system, where a certain all-world WR played and put up gigantic numbers while playing for several well-rounded championship caliber teams, right?

Tell you what, trade Smith to me straight up for any WR in the league right now. I'll do that deal faster than you can blink.

This IS the same Steve Smith who was a top WR, right in the thick of the tier of FF WRs below Moss & Holt in 2003, then got hurt in 2004, but bounced back to be the top FF WR by a wide margin last year - while CAR coincidentally was going 11-5 in both 2003 & 2005 while going 7-9 without him in 2004, right?

And he plays for a coach out of the SF system, where a certain all-world WR played and put up gigantic numbers while playing for several well-rounded championship caliber teams, right?

Tell you what, trade Smith to me straight up for any WR in the league right now. I'll do that deal faster than you can blink.

I concur, but I'm just saying he wont win the triple crown again. He will have a very good season, but the way the offense is set up this year he wont catch 100 + balls and 15 TD's-aint gonna happen.

I concur, but I'm just saying he wont win the triple crown again. He will have a very good season, but the way the offense is set up this year he wont catch 100 + balls and 15 TD's-aint gonna happen.

Remember you said that whe TB & ATL are shutting down CAR's running game & Smith saves their bacon with some big plays.

There are some guys whose talent supercedes the players around them - and smart coaches find a way to get the ball into their hands regardless of how well constructed the rest of the team is. Smith is one of those guys. Smith makes the D better by letting them play with a lead, which in turn allows the D to take more chances and make more big plays, and he forces opposite Ds to account for him with at least 2 players on every play - which enhances the running game tremedously.

Only a coach with a lack of brains would diminish Smith's role significantly as you are suggesting, and I don't see Fox as being stupid.

:D I thought he would definitely play after being called out by DeAngelo Hall. Smith raises it to another level when someone disses him.

He may, but i'm leaning towards a cheerleader this Sunday, but don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him toast Hall.

I wish you were in my league we would trade. I take Fitz, C. Johnson and T. Holt over SS this year but the guy is still top 5.

Gimme a break-Hall couldn't cover SS one on one..let's see in their only match-up..76yds for SS and a TD. Pup has some work to do it seems.

If your boy weren't such a little kitty then we'd be able to know that as fact. Until then, Steve is hiding on the bench from the big bad Falcon.

You were definitely the kid in school with the spelling difficulties on trick words, namely the ie/ei issues. As a teacher you kind of pick those things up. :D

You were definitely the kid in school with the spelling difficulties on trick words, namely the ie/ei issues. As a teacher you kind of pick those things up. :brew:

:lol: ...... :D ...I may six figures, so I'll spell anyway I damn well please :lol:

:D