[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spice Rub for steaks

tonyr0802

STUBBS

There really is a bunch of good dry rubs out there. STUBBS is the best to me. Tom Douglas also makes some awesome dry and wet rubs.

If making your own I usually go with fresh ground pepper, sea/kosher salt, garlic, onion, paprika, red pepper flakes and parsley(all dried). Depending on the type of meat etc. I'm cooking I may go with cinnamon or brown sugar or both also. I go by eye and tatse so never really measure(hence I am a sucky baker). Use a coffee grinder to combine all ingredients(don't use the grinder you use for coffee :D ) Rub with love about an hour(no longer than three or four for dry rubs) before cooking. Grill and have fun.

may I recommend a little olive oil followed by kosher salt and freshly ground pepper?

Werd to your mother :D

My buddies were swearing by some kind of Montreal Steak Spice, but I can't remember if it was a specific brand.

McCormick's makes a Montreal Steak Seasoning and it it is tasty. I prefer the method unta mentions above. :D

My buddies were swearing by some kind of Montreal Steak Spice, but I can't remember if it was a specific brand.

You're probably thinking of McCormack's "Montreal Steak Seasoning". If you use it as a rub, it'll be too peppery. It's much better lightly sprinkled on. And your friend was right, it really brings out the meat's flavor without overpowering it. My favorite store brand.

As for homemade, which is always better but not as quick, try:

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon cayanne pepper

1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

3 tablespoons brown sugar

Rub this on a few steaks about an hour before grilling and you'll make lots of friends.

olive oil, a little worchestershire, and some montreal steak seasoning as a quick marinade before grilling.

or just a little salt and pepper.

lots of other stuff you can do that tastes awesome too. in general, IMO, the better the piece of meat the less you want to do to it.

lots of other stuff you can do that tastes awesome too. in general, IMO, the better the piece of meat the less you want to do to it.

There is the key. If you're going to your local supermarket, season and marinade away. When I grill steaks, I go to the butcher and get quality.

may I recommend a little olive oil followed by kosher salt and freshly ground pepper?

Excellent suggestion but I would substitute adobo for the kosher salt

Olive oil on both sides, adobo on both sides and black pepper..Dems good eats

Try this one--very good:

Kosher salt

Lemon Pepper

Minced Garlic (the hard stuff)

Season both sides, wrap in cellaphane, let sit for a couple of hours--grill to desired doneness.

dry mustard

granulated onion

paprika

kosher salt

about a teaspoon of each

granulated garlic

ground coriander

ground cumin

Freshly ground black pepper

about a 1/2 teaspoon of each

mix it all together and rub into the meat, cover and refrigerate for a few hours, grill to temp.

I've also found that this rub is outstanding on rockfish

Gave this one a shot, pretty good if I might say. I think I could have added some more kosher to it though, but for a first shot wasn't bad.

There's a lot of good suggestions on here, I'm gonna pack on some lbs tryin' em all out too :D

Some of the do it yourself dry rubs you guys mentioned look really good, this is what I was wanting to come up with. I know there are some great off the shelf rubs out there, but I wanted something a little more homegrown to try out.

Thanks again to all that replied!

Gave this one a shot, pretty good if I might say. I think I could have added some more kosher to it though, but for a first shot wasn't bad.

There's a lot of good suggestions on here, I'm gonna pack on some lbs tryin' em all out too :D

Some of the do it yourself dry rubs you guys mentioned look really good, this is what I was wanting to come up with. I know there are some great off the shelf rubs out there, but I wanted something a little more homegrown to try out.

Thanks again to all that replied!

THis is how I put on the salt and pepper.

GENEROUSLY shake an evenly-dispersed coating of sea salt on one side of the steak. Okay, what does this look like? Well, cover the surface of the steak but don’t pile salt on salt. Does that make sense? Let’s put it this way, if you go, “Damn, that’s way too much salt,” then you’ve probably done just the right amount. Remember, a lot of this falls off during the searing process. Now, work the salt into the meat with your fingers. I do this until I can no longer see any white in the salt. Also, work some into the edge of the steak. Next, grind a generous amount of black pepper onto the surface (not as much as the salt, but a decent amount—I usually do about 20-30 turns of the pepper mill). Work the pepper into the meat just as you did the salt. Flip the steak and repeat the salt and pepper.

cripes, that much salt and pepper is altering the natural flavor of the meat at LEAST as much as most rubs containing other spices, is it not?

I'm sure there is some altering of the flavor, but you lose quite a bit of salt and pepper in my grilling process. Steaks are one of the things that take longer than is typical on the Egg, given the cooking method I employ.

I bring the Egg up to 750-800 degrees and sear the steak one minute on each side. Take them off and cover with foil. I bring the Egg down to 400 degrees--this takes about 15-20 minutes. Throw them on for about 4 mins per side (keep in mind these steaks are anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick). They come off a beautiful med rare. However, in the process, a fair amount of salt and pepper is lost.

I came across this "Lone-Star" rub the other day and used it on some flat iron steaks last night and fell in love with it. It will probably become my default rub from now on...

2 tsp kosher salt

1 1/2 tsp pure chili powder

3/4 tsp granulated garlic

1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp dried marjoram

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1/8 tsp cinnamon

I can't rave about this one enough!