[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which is better, paying out the most for highest points of the year, or paying the most to the SB winner?

Thews40

Payou SB winner vs. highest total points  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, paying out the most for highest points of the year, or paying the most to the SB winner?

• Pay SB most/everything
    • Pay highest point total the most

Why not just run an "all play" league, which is an even better measure of the best team than total points?

I'll tell you why....

Because luck is inherent to fantasy football. The season is not necessarily a measure of what the best team is. Being the best team puts you in a position to win, but as they say pretty much everywhere...that's why they play the games.

of course luck is inherent in ff football :D ...luck is inherent in almost every aspect of life....but when I spend my precious time on something (no matter what it is in life) i would rather have skill rule the day over luck......(shouldnt the hardest worker get rewarded instead of some lazy azz who just gets lucky??...how can u argue with this??) in an ideal world the best team or best whatever would be the winner but we dont live in a ideal world so we just have to accept that and we do....but in the fantasy world where we have some control over certain things, the more we can make things "ideal" the better, i.e. more skill and less luck

of course luck is inherent in ff football :D ...luck is inherent in almost every aspect of life....but when I spend my precious time on something (no matter what it is in life) i would rather have skill rule the day over luck......(shouldnt the hardest worker get rewarded instead of some lazy azz who just gets lucky??...how can u argue with this??) in an ideal world the best team or best whatever would be the winner but we dont live in a ideal world so we just have to accept that and we do....but in the fantasy world where we have some control over certain things, the more we can make things "ideal" the better, i.e. more skill and less luck

So again, play in an all-play league if that's what ou want :D

OK a little explaining to do.....$100 entry fee, $2 per waiver, $1 per trade. The waiver/trade pot has been as much as $544 and as little as $278.

Highest points - 45% of league fees

2nd Highest points - 28% of league fees

3rd Highest points - 13.5%

MFL Website Fees - 6%

Trophy Engraving - 2%

Superbowl Party - 5.5% (usually for pizza)

SB Winner - 70% of trade and waiver fees

SB Loser - 30% of trade and waiver fees

Its called rules. Thats the way FF is. If you dont like it, start a league, set the rules, get your 3 friends to play with you, and stop coming here and asking dumb questions.

Awarding payouts to the SB winner, SB runner-up, Total Points, 2nd Total Points, Division Winners is just excessive. I think it should be limited to three teams, in my league its 60% SB winner, 20% SB runner-up, 20% total points and we also award $5 a week to high points. Oh yeah, and five out of the last six years the SB winner has also won the total points.

Its called rules. Thats the way FF is. If you dont like it, start a league, set the rules, get your 3 friends to play with you, and stop coming here and asking dumb questions.

it's called rules?? boy, ur are obviously a wise person :wacko:

you say that is the way ff is?? NO, maybe in YOUR league it is and probably 80% of leagues it is but not in MY league and not in others.....most put importance on a lucky ff superbowl winner and others put more importance on the points champ......every league has it's own "rules" (including the one I'm in which gives most of the credit to the points leader) ...I concede that most leagues are not like mine but it doesn't mean that most shouldn't be :D

If u like how your luck league is set up, then fine, enjoy your league :D

Edited by dominatorr

if it's set up as a head-to-head league, then it makes sense to gear most of the winnings to head-to-head success. i agree that total points is a better measure of overall team quality. and all-play record is an even better measure. it's good to factor one or both of those into the payout somehow. but it's pretty lame to win the super bowl and get a payout that is basically like 1.2x your dues.

it's called rules?? boy, ur are obviously a wise person :wacko:

you say that is the way ff is?? NO, maybe in YOUR league it is and probably 80% of leagues it is but not in MY league and not in others.....most put importance on a lucky ff superbowl winner and others put more importance on the points champ......every league has it's own "rules" (including the one I'm in which gives most of the credit to the points leader) ...I concede that most leagues are not like mine but it doesn't mean that most shouldn't be :D

If u like how your luck league is set up, then fine, enjoy your league :D

my league? Im in a bit more than one. Reason for that is I like different styles. Most, if not all pay the SB winner the majority. What is the purpose of a SB if you dont get anything for winning it? I agree the points winner should get something, but if playoffs and a SB are involved, then the money goes to the SB winner.

not sure what an all play league is but if it's where everyone on your roster plays each week, well then that is just plain silly :D not what we are talking about here

it is where you play every team every week....what is silly is commenting on something when you don't understand what you are commenting on :D

my league? Im in a bit more than one. Reason for that is I like different styles. Most, if not all pay the SB winner the majority. What is the purpose of a SB if you dont get anything for winning it? I agree the points winner should get something, but if playoffs and a SB are involved, then the money goes to the SB winner.

I understand this mindset if your target is the SB vs. highest points from the beginning. One good thing about paying highest points is if you’re close, every week means something. If you have a good team and lose your first playoff game, you’re done… out …over. I think the only way to make an objective opinion is to play in both types and then decide. Most people resist change, even slight rule changes will usually have a few die-hards that just can’t try something new, so they kill the proposed rule change because it’s not what they’re used to.

I understand this mindset if your target is the SB vs. highest points from the beginning. One good thing about paying highest points is if you’re close, every week means something. If you have a good team and lose your first playoff game, you’re done… out …over. I think the only way to make an objective opinion is to play in both types and then decide. Most people resist change, even slight rule changes will usually have a few die-hards that just can’t try something new, so they kill the proposed rule change because it’s not what they’re used to.

I love change. Thats why I play in about 10 leagues this year. None of them are the same types. I just think that to say "SB winners getting all the money are dumb", or whatever it was that was stated, is ridiculous. If thats the type of league, and you dont like it, just dont play in it. Play in a points league or one that suits your taste.

By "your", I mean whoever this applies to... Not you Thews.

I DO play in a total points league :D .......we also have a super bowl winner but they get little credit and little money compared to the total points winner (and the true league champ!!)......and if all of ff is 90% luck, then how do u explain one team in my league winning the points championship 3 of the last 6 years? (btw, 10 of the 12 teams are not ff morons either...it's a good league) .... it's all luck to u because u are in a league with the super bowl winner getting all the acalades...try a total points league and u may change your tune on the 90% luck thing......every year basically the same teams are in the top 5 in total points and and the same 5 are at the bottom in total points......who knows who the super bowl winner ends up being (could be anyone who gets very lucky the last 3 weeks) :D

sounds like some poor little baby got his but spanked and can't take it. Would you like some warm milk to calm you down?

If you can't stand the SB winner, then play in a total points league, baby. :wacko:

Edited by tosberg34

My guess is if you had to rely mostly on skill for your FF league, you'd be posting back here about how you should be paying out the lions share to the one with the most luck! Hah!

seems pretty evident to me :D

in a HTH league the SB Champ should get the biggest chunk of change

in a Total Points league then the team with the highest points should get the biggest chunk of change

I agree

I also think that TP is a better gauge of the best team. Takes out the "luck" factor during the playoffs.

Plus I'm bitter about having the highest scoring team but losing week 15 or 16. Happened too many times :D

sounds like some poor little baby got his but spanked and can't take it. Would you like some warm milk to calm you down?

If you can't stand the SB winner, then play in a total points league, baby. :D

i could care less who wins the super bowl in my league.......if I were trying to win my league's token playoffs, I would simply draft players with easy schedules the last 3 weeks (8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs so it's easy to get into the playoffs) and would likely win the super bowl half the time....i would rather pick a team that needs to be good for a full 16 weeks (more challenge for me :D )

i could care less who wins the super bowl in my league.......if I were trying to win my league's token playoffs, I would simply draft players with easy schedules the last 3 weeks (8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs so it's easy to get into the playoffs) and would likely win the super bowl half the time....i would rather pick a team that needs to be good for a full 16 weeks (more challenge for me :D )

I didn't realize that is was that easy to win a fantasy bowl. :D

If your league calls for a championship game, the winner should get most of the pot. However, if you are a points-only league, then naturally, most points wins the most dough.

In my local, we give out a lot of the pot in different ways: $20 to each weekly hi-scorer, $35 to each wild card team, $50 to each division winner, $50 to the third place game winner, $200 for the runner up and the rest of the pot (usually about $700) to the champ. We also have a $200 pot for the high-scoring team overall.

If your league calls for a championship game, the winner should get most of the pot. However, if you are a points-only league, then naturally, most points wins the most dough.

In my local, we give out a lot of the pot in different ways: $20 to each weekly hi-scorer, $35 to each wild card team, $50 to each division winner, $50 to the third place game winner, $200 for the runner up and the rest of the pot (usually about $700) to the champ. We also have a $200 pot for the high-scoring team overall.

I guess my league is a hybrid having started in the early 90's ......it's neither 100% total points league nor 100% "championship game" league..........no reason u can't have both and most leagues probably do to some extent............it's the PAYOUT and the "bragging rights" that is the difference.............my league pays the most money to the total points CHAMP and about half of that amount of money goes to the super bowl winner.............the super bowl winner is not considerd the league champ (why this seems to have become the norm when the super bowl winner is mostly a luck thing is beyond me but that's why I'm in my league and not in anyone elses...to each his own) :D btw: i still try to win my league's "super bowl" and consider it some extra fantasy football fun, but just don't get upset if i don't win like i do if i come in 2nd for total points

One last thing: i don't know how many other leagues do this but my league give first dibs to free agents each week to the team with the lowest point total so that by the time the last 3 weeks come around, the crappy teams at the beginning of the year are more than solid come playoff time :D (the only thing i dislike about my league)

Edited by dominatorr

Awarding payouts to the SB winner, SB runner-up, Total Points, 2nd Total Points, Division Winners is just excessive. I think it should be limited to three teams, in my league its 60% SB winner, 20% SB runner-up, 20% total points and we also award $5 a week to high points. Oh yeah, and five out of the last six years the SB winner has also won the total points.

I used to feel the same way as some here that HTH leagues have too much luck involved (and still do to a certain extent), but have come to realize the bolded part is true, so if an 7-7 team wins the SB, it is the abmornality, not the norm....I have grown on HTH leagues, as they give you some finality each week...but I would stil never play in a big money HTH league...

I prefer total points leagues myself...I am in a HTH, which is fun, but the the total points league I am in, the top four make money, and the bottom four lose money...1st ends up making more than 2nd, ends up making more than 3rd, and 8th loses more than 7th, loses more than 6th, etc...how much ultimately depends on how many weeks you were high score and how you finished against the average (if you finished 200 points above the average, that is $200 more in your pocket, if you finished $200 under the average, that is $200 more you have to pay).

I like that part of it, so people are forced to pay attention the entire year, as say you are in sixth, well it would behoove you to get to 5th to pay less into the pot. In either a HTH league or a conventional total points league, the people sitting in 6th - 8th really dont care much going into the final weeks. We each put in $300 at the beginning, and money gets moved around to make everyone right at the end of the year. We all have known and trust each other for years, so we dont have to worry about non-payers...works pretty well...