[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LJ ends holdout

Trots

but jackson had 90 receptions as well if i remember right

And, iirc, the coaches have said that he wont be getting as many balls.

With Randy McMichael, Drew Bennett and Brian Leonard around, I'd think there may be something to their story...fwiw...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody can explain what else an opposing DEF Coordinator should scheme for besides LJ, I would like to hear it. Tread very carefully, Huddlers.

:D I heard that same schtick about L.J. last year ... same exact schtick! :D

Well, MPetro... he went from 336 carries in 2005 to 416 in 2006. He has now lost Shields and Rolf, two HoF OLs in the last two years. He went from Trent Green to, apparently, a virtual rookie in Croyle at QB. Kennison is showing his age and has lost a step. He also lost the OC Saunders from 2005 to 2006. There was a little bit of optimism in 2006 for the new HC, who the Jets were glad to get rid of for a draft pick. I doubt there is the same optimism as 2006 this year... So if you could explain how the begining of 2007 is just like the begining of 2006 for KC fans, I would like to know.

Having thought about my bias -- everyone has a bias -- this is the best I can do:

I have a friend who lives in Flint, Michigan. I would drive up there (from Cincy) at least once and usually twice a season just to watch Barry Sanders run. Because it was a beautiful thing, watching Barry Sanders run.

Anyway, the Lions sucked. Always. And yes, Barry was not the greatest back on your fantasy team because of his inconsistent TD production, but he was still pretty good. Lots of yards and stuff.

In no way am I ready to put LJ into a class with Barry Sanders. I'm just pointing out that, for fantasy purposes, the dude has been nothing but a total stud, and history has taught us that if a RB has shown something special in the NFL, it's a good idea to run with it, even if the team around him sucks.

I mean ... look at LT. These same concerns were out there about him not too long ago. He managed to pull through for his fantasy owners just fine, even befiore the Chargers became competitive.

I understand all the concerns about the O-line and QB. Personally, I hate the coach (but then I think of Wayne Fontz ...) I'm just wonfering how much of it is fantasy football overthinking. A stud RB in the NFL is a rare and beautiful thing. And even though that sounds ghey, I'm standing by it.

I can appreciate your passion for KC, Hat Trick, but I am just trying to illustrate all the red flags that appear to me.

If you feel confident in your head coach's ability to judge QB talent, then fine. Huard played better than anyone could have expected last year replacing Green. In fact, I would argue that Huard should have started the playoff game since he would have given KC a better chance at winning. Hindsight being 20/20, I think you can at least admit that the decision of your head coach was at the very least "questionable" and they had no first down by halftime.Oh no doubt that Green should have never been given the job back. I at the time thought Green shouldn't lose his job to injury, but once he came back he was a shell of his former self and the coaches or Herm should have yanked him after the first couple games. I do think the coaches however are making the right decision with Croyle and the team. Plummer was a winning QB and switched to Cutler. The whole division is going younger at QB, and the Chiefs are going younger as a whole, which is a good thing. I can clearly see the talent difference between the veteran and young QB, but he HAS to learn, he's the franchise QB, not Huard. Huard is just bland to me but makes good decisions, that may or may not lead to wins

Since we will only talk about possible future events, If Croyle has all the tangibles and just needs the real time reps, then try the baptism by fire. I will agree that his seven (7) passes last year is too small of a sample and that he has the talent to open up the offense, if you will concede that A) Huard played well enough to not lose the job (DPAR had him #8 overall, and DVOA had him at #2!), and :D the preseason success that Croyle has had this year is just preseason versus some vanilla DEFs.I'm not talking about the coverages, I'm talking about the physical attributes he posesses

Also, if you are willing to trust Herm's judgement (a defensive coach in more than one meaning of the word), good luck with that! You know what he does to RBs with his the power running game...remember what he did to Martin in 2004? running him 371 times, thus ending his career... it should sound vaguely like when he ran LJ more than 30 times in six games last year, and the 416 total carries.Martin and LJ are different situations IMO, now Herrm will cerrtainly run LJ into the ground, but that's fine by me honestly

As for Gonzo, we are in agreement. I will concede that ihe is in the Top 3 of offensive TEs ever, but I will also suggest there are not a lot of 31 year old TEs who have good years, let alone great years. And if the OL is not up to the task, he may be required to block more than he would like.

I just think the overall recipe is ripe for OFF disaster. They are going to start (basically) a rookie QB, a rookie WR, an overworked RB, an overaged WR and an overaged TE. Thye would be lucky to finish 7-9.

I appreciate the discussion

Even if LJs rushing totals go down, and I think they will, I still believe he will get his in the passing game.

Once they get him in the flat on some of those screens and dumps they give him, the dude just seems to rumble. You get him on half a field with fewer defenders and he is tough to stop. A few years ago in the slop of KC, he single handedly eliminated the Chargers from the playoffs on three or four of these passes in the flat! :D:D

I don't see them stopping this, and maybe increasing these plays if the middle is stuffed with bodies.

Gore is far more likely to get hurt given his history. LJ has never been injury prone. Ill still take my chances with LJ.

I'm surprised that this is the first mention of Gore as a injury risk in this topic. Between Gore's knees and LJ's holdout, I'd still give LJ the advantage. If anything, the holdout has given his body a well deserved rest.

It was only a year ago when LJ was the standard #1 overall pick in the majority of drafts. He has greatly outproduced Gore in the TD department. Gore didn't score a TD in 9 games last year. He didn't score a td inside the 10 yard line in 13 of 16 games last year.

LJ's output is more than a td per game and his receiving yardage is very similar to Gore's.

Edited by MikesVikes

I just read a report in which LJ himself stated that he most likely won't be ready to handle the full workload for Week 1 and maybe a bit longer. Stuff like this certainly won't help his draft position. LJ should go anywhere between 4 and 7 in drafts but it's looking more and more like it might be 7.

I just read a report in which LJ himself stated that he most likely won't be ready to handle the full workload for Week 1 and maybe a bit longer. Stuff like this certainly won't help his draft position. LJ should go anywhere between 4 and 7 in drafts but it's looking more and more like it might be 7.

I saw that, too. Plus the report came out after he signed his contract, but did he say that before he signed or after? It looks like after, though.

Here's the quote:

The Associated Press reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Larry Johnson said he is not sure if he will be ready to go at full speed in the team's regular season opener Sunday, Sept. 9. "It all depends on how I'm feeling. Of course, the adrenaline takes over. You're excited about playing. So we'll see. It all depends on what type of game we'll get ourselves into. It will come in due time. My legs are as fresh as can be right now. It will all help me when it comes to the last week of the season," Johnson.

LJ: I may not be ready Week 1

Larry Johnson, RB KC

News: A 25-day holdout helped make Larry Johnson the most highly paid player in Chiefs history. The downside is the Pro Bowl running back doesn't think he'll be ready for a full role in the season opener. Asked Wednesday if he thought he'd be 100 percent ready by Sept. 9 when the Chiefs open at Houston, Johnson said, "No, it'll take a little bit more than that. Obviously, coaches are going to do a great job trying to get me on track to where week two or week three of the season I can hit my full stride. I'm going to try pick up as fast as I can. ... What I know about myself is I've never been a fast starter coming out of the blocks in a season. I've always been -- the last eight games is when I really turn it on. So I'm going to push myself as hard as I can to try to even it out."

Analysis: We have no idea what Johnson is talking about when he says he starts slow -- last year he had over 100 total yards in his first four games (with two touchdowns). We're more concerned with the Chiefs offensive line and the team's likely decision to start inexperienced QB Brodie Croyle. Johnson will be the focus of every defense the Chiefs play. That's not good. Also, Johnson is coming off of a 416-carry season, and the last three NFL running backs who carried at least 400 times declined in their next year. All signs point to Johnson having a down year, but at least he's been compensated and is back with the team. He should go between fourth and seventh overall in all leagues this season. Expect over 1,200 total yards and 13 or so total TDs this year.

i think the decision to start Huard helps LJ this year!

the warning i will give: Weeks 2-5 he faces some of solid run DEF: CHI, MIN, SD, and JAX. they will have to get him involved in the passing game so he's not slamming his head against the wall for a month straight...

the good news is the way the second half schedule shapes up for KC, and the OL continues to gel, LJ will be a monster. But I don't know if Huard will still be the starter. My uninformed opinion is they will have to go at least 3-4 going into the bye week for Huard to remain the starter... if not, i think they would be better served, as a franchise, to give Broyle a shot for the second half...

Correct me if I am wrong, however, in the past, hold-out players (RBs) who have missed camp / practice / contact have found themselves injured the same season....or at least were more injury prone....names escape me....or am I wrong? And this too is what significantly down-grades LJ, IMO.....

Draft LJ, but be patient the first half of the season as he has a tough schedule (although he always gets his anyway). But that schedule opens up big time after that.

LJ is just trying to temper enthusiasm for his return cause like he said he is a slow starter and he probably took a look at the opening month of play.

That's about how I feel. I have LJ at 5, after Addai and Gore. Though, I still can't figure out if I like Addai or Gore more at 1.3.

I just picked Addai at 3. I think that one of Gore's body parts is due to fail this year. I'd take Johnson at 4.

• 1 month later...