[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

16-0 NFL season...what compares?

pig devilz

with the Patriots on the verge of possibly going 16-0 in the regular season, i've been trying to compare

it to another achievemnet in any other pro sport, or in the NFL. Can it be compared? To what?

or, do you think it's not that difficult?

i could only come up with a couple, but given the differences of the sports, they have their pros and cons.

pitching a perfect game in MLB (in the WS?)....sweeping the NBA playoffs and Finals....or maybe multiple, consecutive SB wins...

one that comes close would be the Patriots 21 game winning streak from 10/5/03 to 10/31/04, that included 2 Playoff wins and the SB Championship.

thoughts...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randal, HughOne....BRILLIANT and INSIGHTFUL!!...but typical. thanks for playing :D

@loaf and where....those were two i hadnt thought of

as usual with piggy reading between the lines says it all :D

Edited by keggerz

Randal, HughOne....BRILLIANT and INSIGHTFUL!!...but typical. thanks for playing :D

@loaf and where....those were two i hadnt thought of

The day you show me some insight I'll reciprocate. Endless Pats drivel is not insight. All you little mini-Menudo offspring are laughable and no one takes you seriously. :wacko:

:D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

The day you show me some insight I'll reciprocate. Endless Pats drivel is not insight. All you little mini-Menudo offspring are laughable and no one takes you seriously. :wacko:

and just to show that i am unbiased, the same thing can be said for Hugh if you read between the lines :D

loaf....this is pretty f'n impressive!

~~~~

The result was nothing short of spectacular. Winning 18 games in a row in one stretch, the Bulls became the first team in NBA history to win 70 games and finished at 72-10. They led the league in scoring at 105.2 ppg and were third in defense at 92.9 ppg for a spectacular +12.2 point differential. They lost only two home games all season, and they won more road games, 33, than any team in NBA history. In the playoffs they lost just one game en route to the NBA Finals, sweeping Miami, beating New York in five and sweeping an Orlando team weakened by an injury to Horace Grant. In the NBA Finals they raced to a 3-0 lead over the Seattle SuperSonics, dropped a pair of games in Seattle and then used their stifling defense to close out the series with an 87-75 win in Game 6.

The Bulls dominated the league's annual awards. Jordan captured the trifecta of regular season MVP, All-Star MVP and Finals MVP, joining Willis Reed (1970) as the only men to do so. Jordan and Pippen were voted to the All-NBA First Team, and Rodman joined them on the All-Defensive First Team. Kukoc won the Sixth Man Award, Jackson was voted Coach of the Year and GM Jerry Krause was named Executive of the Year.

~~~~

How about the BILLS 4 straight SUPER BOWLS. Yes I know they lost all 4 but the Patriot dynasty that is of now hasn't done that.

I mean yes diff ERA and all, but man what if they would have won those. Would we be calling them the greatest team's ever?

The 98 Vikings came pretty close, going 15-1 in the regular season with their one loss by a FG to Tampa Bay. Then of course there was the OT loss to the Falcons thanks to the missed Gary Anderson FG - first in a year. Who knows if they would have beat Denver in the SB that year...

Going 16-0 will be great and will be a regular season record but who will remember the Pats 16-0 season if they lose in the playoffs???? Nobody so all in all it is a great accomplishment but I vote for the 1980 MIRACLE ON ICE!!!!!! That was awesome.....the entire country rallied around that game !!! USA BEAT THE RUSSIANS!!! as as certain somebody around here would say " why do you hate America?"

My guess is that, win or lose in the playoffs, EVERYONE will remember 16-0. If they lose in the playoffs, it'll be remembered as a huge blunder/upset, and if they win the SB it will be remembered as the greatest season ever. I don't know that there is a comparable feat in team sports, as all of the other sports play so many more games than football that undefeated isn't realistic. I agree that the 95-96 Bulls are probably the closest. If talking sports feats in general, I would think winning a true grand slam in golf or tennis would be similar to a perfect season. What UCLA basketball accomplished under John Wooden is pretty ridiculous and will seemingly never come even close to happening again (how many consecutive championships again?).

My guess is that, win or lose in the playoffs, EVERYONE will remember 16-0. If they lose in the playoffs, it'll be remembered as a huge blunder/upset,

I don't think so. If NE loses in the playoffs, and I expect that they will, if will simply reinforce the notion that passing is pretty and wins in the regular season, but running the ball & run D wins championships, and neither of those are NE strengths.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Somewhat obscure, and not so much.

Not single season but amazing nonetheless

Oklahoma's 47-game Division I college football winning streak

Over 4 full seasons without a loss or a tie.

North Carolina's NCAA women's soccer 103-game unbeaten streak (1986 - 1990)

92 consecutive wins (1990 - 1994)

Completing the Grand Slam in golf/tennis. Even Tiger hasn't been able to win all four majors in the same year.

Another one I thought of (happens about as frequently) would be going undefeated in NCAA hoops, regular season and the big dance.

Another one I thought of (happens about as frequently) would be going undefeated in NCAA hoops, regular season and the big dance.

You mean like what UCLA did in back-to-back undefeated championship seasons in '71-'73?

Untouchable as far as season long team sports acheivements.

That was the greatest sports achievement EVER. A bunch of college kids beating the elite Russian team during the cold war. There is nothing that even compares to this. Nothing.

+1980

"DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES???"

I still remember where I was, who I was with, the smell in the air...everything...at this moment. What an incredible time that was...

That was the greatest sports achievement EVER. A bunch of college kids beating the elite Russian team during the cold war. There is nothing that even compares to this. Nothing.

I have said this for years and still believe it without question

True David slays Goliath in sports