[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What Could the Cowboys do to get Mcfadden

Cowboyz1

Let's really look at this. Parcells just took over Miami as we all well know and we also know that the surrounds himself with people he knows and understands, as well as will bring back players he thinks can play for him or have. There in lies the conversions with Jones and Parcels. Let's take a look at this a bit. Parcells drafted Canty, Hatcher, Protor, Carpenter ( like hm because he knew and coached his father, "he has football in him and his family, he said"). Then there are the two 1st round picks. Precious, Maybe. 1st round picks don't always live up the being first round picks. However, two firsts and you can be sure at least one hole is filled. Fine, valuable but expendible if you can insure you get greatness. Parcels needs and covets picks over stars to be. He would typically rather stock pile and get a lot of chances to fill a lot of holes on a team that needs a complete overhaul. So there lies the rub is Mcfadden going to be great, last like a Faulk or Emmitt, Barber (tiki), Sanders. Could happen but can he out run being hit and stay healthy. Over say a guy like Felix Jones who can be very good, better with Barber (Beast) or Johnson (very fast) or any number of guys.

Well I imagine Jerry said something to more than one Owner and GM about putting something together.

Who wins in this battle of wills Jerry or Parcels. Bill will gut you and so will Jerry. Are they willing to work together to achieve a very solid draft for Miami with a number of good round picks in good spots AND Jerry getting Mcfadden without giving both picks and Barber. Or is the whole thing moot because we can't afford to pay High 1st round money and let alone 1st pick in the draft Money. So what if say Miami deals down with someone else and the Cowboys give up the 1st, 1st rounder to Miami and get Mcfadden from someone lower and gives up a guy like Hatcher with Carpenter and maybe Free or Martin.I mean Parcels drafted all of these guys and should take some responsibility for his decisions. Now there are going to surely be some trading come April. I think there is room to move as there is talent matched with need in the right spots.

I suppose we the real question is this, is Mcfadden the next Dickerson or something special like what All Day showed in his action last year. Or is it that 4.27 speed and 4.22 speed is just that, translated to the field means don't let this guy get going or he’s gone and you’re not going to catch him without someone with close to that kind speed. Decisions Decisions.

Or do you just look to make moves that make sense and save money with second round guys that can fill in nicely to add to an already very good and well built team. One or two very solid playmakers at corner and running back or WR, will have to be considered a very solid draft that very well could be exactly what the Cowboys need to take the next step that was last taken more than 10 years ago.

I personally don't like two things about Mcfadden and that is ball care and light build on long tall frame. Those legs just worry me and I know they can make him stronger but will he last that long. There are 270 pound players out there that can run to and hit with a lot of force.

I know you can't worry about a guy getting hurt because it's rare to avoid everything. But then there are those guys that just know how to play and stay on the field, and Smart and elusive enough not to take big shots. Those are the ones everyone's looking for.

I like all five of the top backs in this draft and think 3 of 5 will be ballers at the next level.

What i would do is see if Mcfadden falls at all and reach up with Parcells help to get him. Davis is getting old and I wonder about his wileyness turning into something else. I am willing to give up 5 players, Hatcher, Ball, Brown, Free or Martin but not both, and well Bowen. NOT Barber.

Fact is I think the Cowboys don't have many holes to fill and with number of picks they have and what they already signed back all we really need is fill in depth. Looks to be another good season either way. Looking forward to it.

There is no way that the Cowboys trade up to 1.1 to get McFadden. Their two first rounders don't get anywhere near the value of the 1.1, even if you throw in some of Parcells' boys. Not only that, but trading additional guys only sticks them with dead cap money while they are already near their cap limit. Plus, and I'm not altogether sure of this, but I bet the cap value of the 1.1 would be more than their two late 1st rounders would be combined. The cap numbers just don't work to make this happen.

Now if McFadden becomes "that" guy who falls every time on draft day, say past 1.10, all bets are off as to what Jerry's itchy trading finger will do. But my bet is senile Al Davis makes that a moot point.

I called it in an earlier thread, and I'll do it again here.

Jerrah's love for McFadden is well known, and its also well known that he'll do almost anything to get a guy his heart is set on. Trading with MIA makes perfect sense because they aren't in the same conference. Tuna has lots of holes to fill.

DAL gives their 2 1st rounders this year, a 2nd rounder next year, & Barber

MIA gives 1.01

Jerrah's love for McFadden is well known, and its also well known that he'll do almost anything to get a guy his heart is set on. Trading with MIA makes perfect sense because they aren't in the same conference. Tuna has lots of holes to fill.

MIA gives 1.01

If anything remotely close to this happens, Ill come back here and praise you for guessing one of the most outrageously stupid, insane trades ever.

If anything remotely close to this happens, Ill come back here and praise you for guessing one of the most outrageously stupid, insane trades ever.

All this speculation reminds me of last year with Charles Johnson. Everyone said the Bucs would do anything to get him but in the end, they drafted the DE instead of rolling the dice on a freak of nature WR. It takes way too much to trade up that high in the draft for a guy that has never played a down in the NFL...

Barber is the deal killer for me. I could probably live with the 2 first rounders and maybe a later pick next year but you dont a certified beast of a rb along with 2 1sr rounders for an unproven rookie with big speed in a rb heavy draft because of your owners man love. If they trade barber Dallas fans will be enraged

MIA gives 1.01

I agree with most of this. Just the sort of thing he'd do. Here comes the deal...

+1. I mean read again what you have Dallas giving up. Even given Jones love for mcfadden, i just can't believe he would give up so much more than what he's worth.

All this speculation reminds me of last year with Calvin Johnson. Everyone said the Bucs would do anything to get him but in the end, they drafted the DE instead of rolling the dice on a freak of nature WR. It takes way too much to trade up that high in the draft for a guy that has never played a down in the NFL...

Fixed. I hope that's what u meant.

MIA gives 1.01

Way, Way, Way too much. 2 First Rounders and a Vet maybe. But your talking Ricky Williams crazy moves. Even JJ isn't that stupid. :wacko:

IMO, if McFadden is there at #5 (and Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are not), KC should very seriously consdier taking JJ's offer of two firsts, and may try to get DAL to send over either a LB, CB, OL or DT instead of Barber...

Edited by muck

IMO, if McFadden is there at #5 (and Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are not), KC should very seriously consdier taking JJ's offer of two firsts, and may try to get DAL to send over either a LB, CB, OL or DT instead of Barber...

This makes more sense, and I heard Carpenter was a guy that they might want to trade. Just heard it from talk on Sirius...

And I'd be at the top of that list. :wacko:

I too would be shocked and very disappointed if they made that trade. If he falls and it only costs one of the firsts and a later round pick then maybe but this is a deep draft for RB and the Cowboys already have a pretty good one.

Of the 25 fastest times in the combine since 2000 only 2 maybe 3 have done anything in the NFL. That's not a good record.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you saying that timing fast at the combine is an indicator of failure as a pro?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you saying that timing fast at the combine is an indicator of failure as a pro?

What I am saying is there are a lot of fast college players that come into the combine and run some sick 40 times, get to the NFL and do diddly $hit with all that speed. The numbers speak for themselves.

What I am saying is there are a lot of fast college players that come into the combine and run some sick 40 times, get to the NFL and do diddly $hit with all that speed. The numbers speak for themselves.

So are you projecting failure at the NFL level for McFadden based upon his 40 time at the combine?

So are you projecting failure at the NFL level for McFadden based upon his 40 time at the combine?

The numbers say he is going to be another Fabian Washington and with all that hype those bird legs just won't hold up at the NFL level and niether will his ball carring style. That's the way I see it, because the NFL exploits weaknesses and he has two glaring ones in my eyes.

The numbers say he is going to be another Fabian Washington and with all that hype those bird legs just won't hold up at the NFL level and niether will his ball carring style. That's the way I see it, because the NFL exploits weaknesses and he has two glaring ones in my eyes.

Fair enough.