[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Benson supporters

Randall

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I'll ask you, If you aren't drunk why wouldn't you blow?

The limit has been dropped to the point in most states that if you have more than 1 drink in an hour, you are drunk by their rules. A lot of people know that the best way to beat this is to refuse the roadside test thus buying them some time till the alternate is given. But this goes back to the idea that :wacko: they knew they would fail, thus they refuse.

In response to the link: that's nice but apparently the test is still accurate enough that its used in all 50 states and the lawyers haven't figured out how to get it thrown out consistently.

He says he had 2-3 drinks at dinner, so even if he didn't feel intoxicated enough to know not to drive, apparently he knew he was intoxicated enough to know not to blow. If you drink three drinks at dinner and then get behind the wheel, you're asking to kill someone. I mean, I don't mind the drinking, but the driving is nuts. It's not manly or cool or rugged or street or whatever. It's dangerous. Spring for a cab, you delinquent!!

Hose him. NEXT!!!

He says he had 2-3 drinks at dinner, so even if he didn't feel intoxicated enough to know not to drive, apparently he knew he was intoxicated enough to know not to blow. If you drink three drinks at dinner and then get behind the wheel, you're asking to kill someone. I mean, I don't mind the drinking, but the driving is nuts. It's not manly or cool or rugged or street or whatever. It's dangerous. Spring for a cab, you delinquent!!

Hose him. NEXT!!!

. Didn't he get nabbed at 3-4AM? :wacko:

Maybe he was getting dinner with Pacman.

Edited by Randall

As I understand most states you can refuse and not be punished but if you refuse they can arrest you(if they think you are drunk) and force you to take the test at the police station. That test you can't refuse.

Close, but not entirely correct, at least in Washington. Okay, if you have ever been pulled over and given these tests, you will notice that the police cannot make you take the breathalyzer at the scene. If you listen to their words, they literally have to "ask" your permission. You are basically volunteering to take the test at this point. There can be no penalty of refusing this test. You can't lose your license or anything like that. At this time they will take you to the precinct under suspicion of driving under the influence, where they will perform the official breathlayzer test. This is the one you can refuse with a penalty. By refusing it, you give up your license (for one year in WA, instead of the 2-years lost by getting a DUI). You still can be put on trial for DUI but the case will be a lot harder to prove without the BAC test, so most of the time they try to settle these cases into a neglegent charge, but you would still automatically lose your license for a year either way because you refused the test at the station.

If they think they still have enough evidence to charge Benson with DUI they will pursue it, otherwise you will probably see this settled to a lesser charge. Then again, Texas rules could be completely different.

Hose him. NEXT!!!

If Cedric finds God....maybe he can get elected President :wacko:

If you drink three drinks at dinner and then get behind the wheel, you're asking to kill someone.

I'm not trying to condone drinking and driving but 2-3 drinks at dinner and driving is far from asking to kill someone. Many things such as weight, mood, tolerance, and how much you've eaten all play a significant role in how much and how fast alcohol affects a person. According to this BAC estimator from the Wisconsin DOT (and God knows those cheeseheads know a lot about teh fire water):

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/safety/motorist.../calculator.htm

220 pound male, drinks 3 regular beers over 1 hour = .040 BAC. That is far from illegal and I feel its a stretch to say that people who consume this much are asking to kill someone. Obviously people who are actually drunk need to be convicted for putting people in harms way. I haven't even read the story on Ced Benson as I don't plan on drafting him (burnt on him last year) but it takes more than a couple of beers at dinner to put you over the legal limit. Not trying to argue....just my 2 cents.

Close, but not entirely correct, at least in Washington. Okay, if you have ever been pulled over and given these tests, you will notice that the police cannot make you take the breathalyzer at the scene. If you listen to their words, they literally have to "ask" your permission. You are basically volunteering to take the test at this point. There can be no penalty of refusing this test. You can't lose your license or anything like that. At this time they will take you to the precinct under suspicion of driving under the influence, where they will perform the official breathlayzer test. This is the one you can refuse with a penalty. By refusing it, you give up your license (for one year in WA, instead of the 2-years lost by getting a DUI). You still can be put on trial for DUI but the case will be a lot harder to prove without the BAC test, so most of the time they try to settle these cases into a neglegent charge, but you would still automatically lose your license for a year either way because you refused the test at the station.

If they think they still have enough evidence to charge Benson with DUI they will pursue it, otherwise you will probably see this settled to a lesser charge. Then again, Texas rules could be completely different.

Used to if you got pulled over for a DWI in Texas, and if you didn't blow, you could get it knocked down to reckless driving pretty easy, you would get 1 year of probation, and if you kept your nose clean the reckless driving charge was taken off your record. You also got your license suspended for 90 days. About 5 years ago they tightened up the laws, and I'm pretty sure you can't do that anymore.