[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees or Delhomme? Which is the better QB?

Flyman

Anybody that were to watch the two of them play and determine that Delhomme is the better quarterback might want to consider soccer forums.

OK, fair enough.

Since we can only compare apples-to-apples, have a look at the first three games of 2007, when both were healthy. The only really true compairson of their most recent season, right? One had 8 Tds/1 INT, the other had 1 TD/7 INTS. Having fun yet?

No? Ok, then evaluate their playoff success.

I think they are probably very similar in talent... for the sake of argument, I'll even say Brees has a slight edge in overall talent.

But there is no argument in the world that says Brees is more of a leader, and a better field general. None. Zero. He's been on the losing end of winnable playoffs games for years, and this past year was solely responsible for his team missing the playoffs with his dreadful 1st month. He's had a better supporting cast than Delhomme with LT, Deuce, and Bush as his RBs, and perhaps the most talented TE in the game, and still failed to lead his team to deep into the playoffs.

I'll take Delhomme every day of the week...especially Sundays...over Brees...for my NFL team.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brees is soft, lacks a pocket presence, and is half the leader I'd want on my team. While Delhomme may not have the better passing completition, TD/INT ratio, yards per game, etc., those things can be compensated for by being a better leader, a better teammate, and a better football player. I want a QB that leads by example, and that my team rallies around. Delhomme seems to have gotten more from his team with less to work with. Brees, in my opinion, has always under-delivered when it matter most. Watching him self-destruct last year in his "coming-out" season was as brutal display of football as I have seen in some time. While his team was bad, he was worse...

I hate blanket statements like this, but I have to say that if you think Brees lacks pocket presence I seriously doubt you actually watched Saints games the last 2 years. His pocket presence and quick release contributed to the Saints being close to the lead (they may have lead - I can't remember) in pass attempts and fewest sacks in 2006.

As for being a leader off the field, this is a guy that moved right into downtown NO (v/s moving to one of the cleaner, safer suburbs - especially following Katrina) and really jumped into the community and the rebuilding.

I am a huge Delhomme fan - he's a Louisiana boy and I really wanted him starting over Brooks when he was still here, but this is crazy.

I hate blanket statements like this, but I have to say that if you think Brees lacks pocket presence I seriously doubt you actually watched Saints games the last 2 years. His pocket presence and quick release contributed to the Saints being close to the lead (they may have lead - I can't remember) in pass attempts and fewest sacks in 2006.

As for being a leader off the field, this is a guy that moved right into downtown NO (v/s moving to one of the cleaner, safer suburbs - especially following Katrina) and really jumped into the community and the rebuilding.

I am a huge Delhomme fan - he's a Louisiana boy and I really wanted him starting over Brooks when he was still here, but this is crazy.

+1

Swammi, I totally respect your opinion but you obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about with Brees. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over who is the better QB. I think they both have their merits & drawbacks and I like them both. But this statement here is completely ridiculous.

I think Brees is soft, lacks a pocket presence, and is half the leader I'd want on my team. While Delhomme may not have the better passing completition, TD/INT ratio, yards per game, etc., those things can be compensated for by being a better leader, a better teammate, and a better football player. I want a QB that leads by example, and that my team rallies around.

Furthermore, Brees was not the reason we did not make the playoffs... our defense was and I would attribute his poor start more to our poor offensive line play than anything else.

Edited by rajncajn

BTW - there is documentation that Delhomme is a better QB in the 4th quarter, in the last 2 minutes of each half, and in OT. I'll surrender those points.

That being said, I guess I like the guy who gets me to a point where my team doesn't have to perform so well in crisis scenarios - and Brees' significantly better production overall would imply that.

As far as leadership qualities, I haven't seen any documentation that shows Delhomme is a better leader than Brees is - or vice versa.

Swammi, I totally respect your opinion but you obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about with Brees. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over who is the better QB. I think they both have their merits & drawbacks and I like them both. But this statement here is completely ridiculous.

You both are correct, I completely mis-stated my point. I did not mean to infer that Brees doesn't have any of those qualities. Like I noted earlier, i think both are pretty solid QBs. Rather, I meant to infer that I feel he has a lesser presence than Delhomme, and has less toughness than Delhomme. From what I have seen of Brees on the field (not much, but some), and what I have seen of Delhomme, it appears to me that Delhomme carries himself, and his team, at a different level. I don't get to watch either on a regular basis, but from what I have observed, and from the most recent seasons of each, I'd lean on Delhomme as the guy I'd rather lead my team.

the board here jumped on Brees as the obvious choice in the original question that was posted, and I felt the choice was not that cut and dry. Brees has much better stats than Delhomme, but in my opinion, it does not make him the obvious better QB.

I think Brees is soft, lacks a pocket presence

Brees takes fewer sacks per attempt, throws fewer INTs per attempt, and has a better completion percentage. How can an argument be made that Brees is softer in the pocket and lacks presence compared to Delhomme?

BTW - there is documentation that Delhomme is a better QB in the 4th quarter, in the last 2 minutes of each half, and in OT. I'll surrender those points.

That being said, I guess I like the guy who gets me to a point where my team doesn't have to perform so well in crisis scenarios - and Brees' significantly better production overall would imply that.

As far as leadership qualities, I haven't seen any documentation that shows Delhomme is a better leader than Brees is - or vice versa.

Interesting post.

You note that you "like the guy that gets you to a point where my team doesn't have to perform so well in crisis mode"....as do I, but I take the other side of the coin....I like the QB that pull a game out that my defense/special teams may have put in jeopardy. QBs like Elway, Favre, etc come to mind as QBs who could rally a team in a desperate 4th-quarter scenario.

You are 100% correct...there is no way to measure leadership....its a gut feel. But to me, on the surface, it looks to me that Delhomme gets more out of an average offense, whereas Brees hasn't taken exceptional teammates (LT, Gates, Horn, Colston, McCallister) to an exceptional level. But again, that is just my opinion.

To me, they are very close....I think Brees is the better QB with better stats, but I'd rather have Delhomme led my team. Similarly, I think Manning is the better "technical" QB with better stats....but I'd rather have Brady lead my team.

You both are correct, I completely mis-stated my point. I did not mean to infer that Brees doesn't have any of those qualities. Like I noted earlier, i think both are pretty solid QBs. Rather, I meant to infer that I feel he has a lesser presence than Delhomme, and has less toughness than Delhomme. From what I have seen of Brees on the field (not much, but some), and what I have seen of Delhomme, it appears to me that Delhomme carries himself, and his team, at a different level. I don't get to watch either on a regular basis, but from what I have observed, and from the most recent seasons of each, I'd lean on Delhomme as the guy I'd rather lead my team.

the board here jumped on Brees as the obvious choice in the original question that was posted, and I felt the choice was not that cut and dry. Brees has much better stats than Delhomme, but in my opinion, it does not make him the obvious better QB.

I completely disagree, but again I respect your opinion. Unless you actually play or coach for both then that question is really hard to answer. But realize, while me & BOO are homers & may have a somewhat inflated opinion of Brees, we do get to see both QB's play a lot & Delhomme being a former Saint fan favorite & local product we are very familiar with both players on & off the field. Take that for whatever it's worth.

How about a stat for come-from-behind wins?

Interesting post.

You note that you "like the guy that gets you to a point where my team doesn't have to perform so well in crisis mode"....as do I, but I take the other side of the coin....I like the QB that pull a game out that my defense/special teams may have put in jeopardy. QBs like Elway, Favre, etc come to mind as QBs who could rally a team in a desperate 4th-quarter scenario.

You are 100% correct...there is no way to measure leadership....its a gut feel. But to me, on the surface, it looks to me that Delhomme gets more out of an average offense, whereas Brees hasn't taken exceptional teammates (LT, Gates, Horn, Colston, McCallister) to an exceptional level. But again, that is just my opinion.

To me, they are very close....I think Brees is the better QB with better stats, but I'd rather have Delhomme led my team. Similarly, I think Manning is the better "technical" QB with better stats....but I'd rather have Brady lead my team.

We seem to be finding some common ground while agreeing to be disagreeable.

:wacko:

The crack addicts stick out like sore thumbs during the offseason, don't they?

+1

Brees morphed into a stud in his fourth year in the league and has put up Pro Bowl-caliber numbers every year since - on two different offenses with lesser receiving talent that what Jake has had in Carolina. He's also four years younger than Delhomme, making him a better long-term option.

If there's one thing I've learned from years of fantasy football at the Huddle...

It's that both Brees and Delhomme are jinxed to high heaven in 2008 because of this thread.

Neither one of them will be worth a crap. Draft their backups early.

If there's one thing I've learned from years of fantasy football at the Huddle...

It's that both Brees and Delhomme are jinxed to high heaven in 2008 because of this thread.

Neither one of them will be worth a crap. Draft their backups early.

Matt Moore and Mark Brunell. . .

Oy.

I completely disagree, but again I respect your opinion. Unless you actually play or coach for both then that question is really hard to answer. But realize, while me & BOO are homers & may have a somewhat inflated opinion of Brees, we do get to see both QB's play a lot & Delhomme being a former Saint fan favorite & local product we are very familiar with both players on & off the field. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Agreed rajn. Ironically enough, I also have an inflated opinion of Jake as well - Haslett really screwed that whole situation up.

With Brees though, he's in a pass-happ offense and therefore will put up the #'s, but really his leadership is what people seem drawn to in NO - players and fans alike. I honestly thought this thread was fish bait for the first 2 pages.

OK, fair enough.

Since we can only compare apples-to-apples, have a look at the first three games of 2007, when both were healthy. The only really true compairson of their most recent season, right? One had 8 Tds/1 INT, the other had 1 TD/7 INTS. Having fun yet?

No? Ok, then evaluate their playoff success.

I think they are probably very similar in talent... for the sake of argument, I'll even say Brees has a slight edge in overall talent.

But there is no argument in the world that says Brees is more of a leader, and a better field general. None. Zero. He's been on the losing end of winnable playoffs games for years, and this past year was solely responsible for his team missing the playoffs with his dreadful 1st month. He's had a better supporting cast than Delhomme with LT, Deuce, and Bush as his RBs, and perhaps the most talented TE in the game, and still failed to lead his team to deep into the playoffs.

I'll take Delhomme every day of the week...especially Sundays...over Brees...for my NFL team.

If you have watched them both play and determined this...then yes....you should be in the soccer forums.

• 5 months later...
interesting bump.

Brees's INTs have hurt his team, but has put up stellar stats....while Delhomme, while stuggling at times, has definitely been the better leader and taken his team to within a win of hte #1 seed in the NFC.

Delhomme is prone to the same mistakes as Brees when he is under duress. The difference has been that the Panthers have had a much better running game this year & have actually used it.

Delhomme is prone to the same mistakes as Brees when he is under duress. The difference has been that the Panthers have had a much better running game this year & have actually used it.

Plus the Panthers have a defense that can occasionally stop the other team.

Delhomme is prone to the same mistakes as Brees when he is under duress.

What duress was Brees under when he threw those two horrible late picks against the Bucs to cost his team the game?

Or the one Thursday when he gift-wrapped it while in the red zone?

Can you post where Delhomme has performed as poorly this year at clutch time? My only recent recollection of him in a tight game has him torching the Packers secondary....a game he had to come thru, and did.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi